PDA

View Full Version : Nasty old plugs!

ahdoman
10/03/2014, 08:55 AM
So when I got Pearl I did what I usually do when I get a new vehicle; change all fluids, address mechanical issues (I still have a very small output seal leak on the transfer case to deal with) and a good detail. I didn't do the plugs because I was going to pull the valve covers and check the valve gaps. When I found out they were the shim type (I don't have a shim kit) I decided to just change the plugs. According to the Carfax the last tuneup was done at 80k. She now has 102k on her. The plug recesses were sparking clean but when I pulled the plugs, WOW! They came out without a fight but the threads look like they are rusted. I've done a lot of engines but I've never seen this. Anybody have any idea why this would occur?I think it's been awhile since these were changed (and they are Champion brand). New NGK Titaniums went in and she's happy. I can feel the difference.

Also checked compression (cold engine) all cylinders are within 5psi of each other and nice and strong!

tom4bren
10/03/2014, 10:46 AM
Yah, my plugs looked the same when I changed them. I can only assume that since we have such a deep well for the plugs that water tends to get trapped within causing the rust.

Ain't the one beside the brake booster fun???:)

Triathlete
10/03/2014, 05:50 PM
I'm at 155k and have only changed plugs once. :)

VX KAT
10/03/2014, 07:35 PM
Mine also had Champions and they looked just like that when I changed them at about 68k. I also put in the NGKs and she was happy ever after! (although mine were NGK Platinum)

johnnyapollo
10/04/2014, 05:49 AM
I believe the plastic down tube on the cap is supposed to protect them from water to a certain extent - are those getting brittle?

ahdoman
10/04/2014, 04:40 PM
The rubber seals are nice and pliable. I think the threads on the Champion plugs might be black. If whoever put the plugs in used a cheap lube it might have crystallized looking like rust. They weren't difficult to get out so maybe it's not rust.

Regardless - be good to your VX and change the plugs and use the right ones!

Triathlete
10/04/2014, 06:54 PM
The last time I did plugs on my wife's truck the thread lube was a copper color. Maybe that is what was on them.