PDA

View Full Version : Fogged Reversing Camera

kirk hilton
10/03/2014, 08:52 AM
Need some advice. My JDM VX has, as all JDMs, a reversing camera. It comes in very handy but recently the image is grey and blurred. Investigation reveal a misting of tiny water droplet (really tiny - can only see them with a jeweler's glass) on the len behind the plastic window of the unit. I tried a hair dryer on the window and the image improved but then returned to being blurry. I've removed the unit ( with the shutter open). I'm thinking of creaking the seal of the unit open and placing in a warm room. Any advice, observation or experience with this or other reversing cameras?

Kirk

tom4bren
10/03/2014, 10:49 AM
One of the cameras on my RV does that ... but only when it's raining. It eventually clears itself so I've never cracked it open to try to seal it. The other 2 cameras never fog.

circmand
10/03/2014, 11:00 AM
your seal already has a crack that has allowed moisture to get in. I would place the unit in a ziplock back with uncooked rice for a few days to remove moisture than reseal around the lens gaps to prevent it from happening again

bartmanS4
10/03/2014, 11:00 AM
I've heard you can fix this if you put it in the microwave with you new iPhone 6.

kirk hilton
10/03/2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback (except Bartman who can "go cook his head")

Ive opened the unit water, ran out. I think water got in because in situ the plastic cresent cover wasn't sealed properly to the VX ( now have new double sided tape for that and will also tape the unit once I've got all the moisture out)

I've put the ajar unit in a tin tray in an unused cat litter tray and cling film the top. Effectively the rice and bag trick. Electricity + water + winter is what killed the unit a few years ago ( and it was a right pain and expense to fix it then and probably impossible now)

Fingers crossed

bartmanS4
10/03/2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback (except Bartman who can "go cook his head")

LOL!

David Wiltshire
10/03/2014, 12:28 PM
I replaced mine along with an Alpine double din unit, in the end I bought a new Alpine camera and fitted it just above the number plate couldn't find any other solution.