PDA

View Full Version : Fallin' In Love All Over Again

MSHardeman
09/24/2014, 09:34 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again, and then I'll say it again.... I just LOVE Vicki (my VX). I don't think anyone here knows, but I was able to retire Vicki from daily service about a month after Moab (June-ish). I parked her in the garage and started driving a non-descript Nissan Altima (Magnus) as my daily driver.

As a side note: driving anything other than a VX is severely disappointing. NOBODY looks at you and gawks, mouths "What the heck is that?", or stops you at the gas station to ask you about your car.

Anyway, Vicki stayed in the garage and rested. I'd go in and say hello to her every now and then and I'd start her up once in a while to keep everything moving, but I haven't driven her in about three months. She has had a slow leak in the transmission fill plug since a little before Moab, so in anticipation of putting her into deeper storage for the winter I got her out of the garage and drove her to the mechanics yesterday morning.

It was like Christmas. I barely slept the night before because I was so excited to get to drive her again. I bounced out of bed, went through my morning routine at lightening speed, and ran out to her with a huge smile on my face. Even though the drive was only a couple of miles, I was giggling the whole way. I freakin' LOVE that car. Sure the ride was rough and a little bouncy compared to the Altima, but I loved it. I got the usual stares and questioning looks, and when I dropped her off at the mechanics they were all perplexed as to what she was. (the mech. was new to me and they come highly recommended, so I figured for a tranny fill plug they would be fine). When I went and picked her up this morning all of the mechanics were asking what she was, saying how cool she is, and the lucky guy who got to drive her to make sure that everything was working well had a big grin on his face too.

The drive back home to the garage was short, but sweet and I giggled the whole way again. I was sad to leave her in the garage and drive the Altima to work, but now I know that I'll have to take Vicki out more often to stretch her legs and be gawked at for the beauty that she is.

VXer for life!!

Mile High VX
09/24/2014, 11:00 AM
CO winter could be a doozey...don't put her in too deep you may need her!

Always great to hear these stories...I still open the garage and look at mine every evening when locking up the house and every morning when I'm getting breakfast ready...just never gets old...:bgwb::smilewink

JoFotoz
09/24/2014, 01:23 PM
Yup Mark!!

:jump:

Jo

Otwobme
09/24/2014, 02:05 PM
My favorites are the Kids, any kid really. i went to Michele this morning to pick up a signed picture of ken block that i had framed. when i got into the parking lot a mother and her kid was walking into the store. the kid looked at my vx and didn't stop staring until he walked into the glass door. he popped up and ran to hes mom. i tried not to laugh but i could help myself. :bwgy:

Triathlete
09/24/2014, 06:26 PM
Get a room! :D

ahdoman
09/24/2014, 07:49 PM
Since I'm a new owner (although I've always wanted one) I am still elated with my purchase. But, I've got a bit of a problem, I want to drive Pearl everywhere (I'm in sales so I drive around SoCal) but with her being as rare as she is I don't want to wear her out! The good news is I do have another very fun daily driver but I really like driving the VX. I need to figure out a way to buy another one. Anybody need to buy an organ? Non-smoker, good clean diet and exercise.

MeowMix
09/25/2014, 03:17 AM
Anybody need to buy an organ? Non-smoker, good clean diet and exercise.

My unit is full of people who need lungs...can't live without those, So I can't help ya. You may be able to hit up the renal floor and see if anyone wants to trade a VX for a kidney? Ha. ;py; In other news, congrats on Pearl. I for one am super jealous; take good care of her. ;Dy;

Mark, glad to hear you finally retired Vicki...I know you've been wanting to for years. I've been a little absent here, and you're a little absent on Facebook, so I didn't know she was retired as a daily. Alice (formerly named Kiiro) is also retired as of this summer. Picked me up a 5spd Suzuki X-90 with only 50K on the odo...I still get weird looks on the way to work, and 27mpg...but the X is certainly no VX. I get giddy when I drive my girl too. It's a good feeling to see the mileage stay relatively put...but you've gotta get Vicki out a little more. Sounds like you need your fix more often than every three months :winky:

nocturnalVX
09/25/2014, 07:16 AM
Looking forward to the day my VX gets retired from DD duty, and achieves full on TOY status. Congrats, and thanks for sharing that experience with us!

mattferguson14
10/31/2014, 02:36 PM
haha, I love this thread. I've owned Izzy for a few weeks now, we are still in the honeymoon phase. :D

circmand
11/02/2014, 07:22 AM
Bought mine new in 2002 has been my daily driver ever since. I will not buy or drive another car (except my little 2 seater british sports car) until the wheells come off and can not be put back on.

VX crazy
11/02/2014, 08:10 AM
Bought mine new in 2002 has been my daily driver ever since. I will not buy or drive another car (except my little 2 seater british sports car) until the wheells come off and can not be put back on.

My little 2 seater is a LOT of fun, when I drive the VX once a week it's hard to pull out in bad traffic when comparing the two, but still so much fun to drive, two extremes for sure!