PDA

View Full Version : What are the Largest Tires for 16's

hchen
11/24/2003, 10:56 AM
My tires are running out of tread and I need to get some Winter tires, or the offroading more aggressive ones that'll hold well in snow. Does anyone know the best tires size...or the largest tire size i can ahve on the 16's without cutting the cladding. what brands and where to buy for the best pricing. Thanks

Tonka
11/24/2003, 12:21 PM
I have 265/75/16's on mine. It is the same size they use on 4runners/montero's/etc... They are about 31.7 inches. BFG all terrain KO's are really nice. So are Goodyear mt/r's (muds for that tough look).

hchen
11/24/2003, 02:56 PM
thanks for your help!

did you have to cut the cladding for the goodyears or any other one of those you listed?

Tonka
11/24/2003, 03:24 PM
If you use your stock rims, you should be fine. I did have my torsion bars turned a couple times to even out the butt in the air look, but from what i remember others have been able to fit them without doing anything.

TucsonVX
11/24/2003, 05:50 PM
Nitto's 265/70/17 31.6inches had to crank up the toresion bars and cut the cladding about 1/2 inch. exclent tire and good prices $104 each. Would go with the 16's more rim choices.

hchen
11/25/2003, 01:15 AM
thanks for everyone's help, i greatly appreciate it.

yal^
11/25/2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Tonka
I have 265/75/16's on mine. It is the same size they use on 4runners/montero's/etc... They are about 31.7 inches. BFG all terrain KO's are really nice. So are Goodyear mt/r's (muds for that tough look).

I just put BFG all terrain tires 265/75/16 with new 16" rims (changed from stock 18") and had to shave the cladding just a little bit - eight of an inch, just about, and only inside corners - so they could turn with no rubbing. It was more cosmetic than hurtful although I was almost crying while it was done ;)
They look more than great. Guy from Discount Tires almost pi*** his pants when he saw, what he has done to my truck :D

I do wonder though, is it me or TOD is less sensitive with thicker tires? It seems to be reacting with a slight delay. Is it because the tires grip better or...? Hopefully they did not messed my baby up...

yal

Tonka
11/25/2003, 11:58 PM
Having the t-bars turned make it even better! Post some pics!

ron
11/26/2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by hchen
or the largest tire size i can ahve on the 16's without cutting the cladding.

Don't let modifying the cladding deter you from a larger sized tire. The cladding is pretty soft and so with a hand saw and/or a rough file or rasp, you can remove the edge of the cladding quite quickly. Besides, the where you'll be modifying will be hidden and not visible from the outside. Hope this helps.