PDA

View Full Version : where is heater core?

heavy d
09/03/2014, 09:35 AM
Im gnna attempt to backflush my heater core. .maybe that will fix my no heat problem..but where is it located?

tom4bren
09/03/2014, 10:07 AM
You should be able to flush the radiator with the heater on to get the job done. The heater core should be on the firewall but I'm not exactly sure where. I'll try to look it up in the shop manual.

Mile High VX
09/03/2014, 10:25 AM
Shop manual says it's behind the dash...and you have to take it out to remove the heater unit...ouch!

Removal
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Drain the engine coolant.
3. Discharge and recover refrigerant (with air
conditioning).
 Refer to Refrigerant Recovery in this section.
4. Remove the Instrument panel assembly.
 Refer to Instrument Panel Assembly in Body and
Accessories section.
5. Remove instrument panel center bracket.
6. Remove blower unit.
7. Remove evaporator assembly.
 Refer to Evaporator Assembly in this section.
8. Remove driver lap vent duct.
9. Remove Center & Lower vent duct.
10. Remove heater unit assembly.
 Disconnect heater hoses at heater unit.

IndianaVX
09/03/2014, 06:28 PM
I wonder if you wouldn't be able to flush it by disconnecting the two lines on the engine side of the fire wall? Don't rely completely on this, but the two hard lines behind, (or below) the EGR valve are what I think, go to the heater core. They transition from pipe, to rubber hose between the EGR and the cruise control box. One is an inlet and one is outlet. Again, I'm not positive anything could be done from this side, but may be a good chance! Or maybe use suction on it? Might save a lot of headache tearing the whole dash out!

tom4bren
09/04/2014, 06:04 AM
That should work as long as the valve that allows anti-freeze to flow through the core for cabin heat is open. I don't even know if the valve is operated by a cable or by vacuum. That valve sticking could actually be the source of his problem (had that happen on an old Dodge I had).

heavy d
09/04/2014, 09:52 AM
Yep..I backflush the core doing that but still nothing..theres hot fluid in the lines..I can feel it..just no heat

heavy d
09/04/2014, 09:55 AM
I might look for a vacuum leak..that may be whats causing it not to open up..thanks for your input guys..let me know if you have any more ideas

tom4bren
09/04/2014, 12:00 PM
Yah, it sounds like the core is either clogged or the valve isn't opening. I'm guessing it's the valve since if the core were clogged that badly, the radiator would probably be too.

IndianaVX
09/04/2014, 05:24 PM
Wonder if you could hook a shop vac to one of the hoses and see if you can pull something thru? Maybe color some water with food coloring so you could see the change in color? Yeah, I'm really throwing stuff out now! I just hate replacing heater cores. Couldn't be any worse than a Scirocco!

jmayer40
09/07/2014, 04:25 AM
Download this,
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

I have it on my phone and pc, comes in handy

heavy d
09/07/2014, 06:33 PM
Got it guys! Behind the glove box is the switch that enables it to heat..that clip fell off...smh. .thank god it was an easy fix..thanks for all your help though

tom4bren
09/09/2014, 05:23 AM
GTK & glad it worked out for ya. I had a feeling it was just the control valve but since I haven't had to work on mine, I couldn't really give any advice.