PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issue

FlyingV77
09/02/2014, 08:01 PM
Earlier this week my transmission started hesitating/stutter then slamming into 3rd gear. I checked the fluid lvl, when cold, and it was exactly at the low line. When it was doing this the gear indicator lights started flickering. "D" has always been out, i found out when i went though the gears manually. Now it isn't doing this going into 3rd, but 2nd, and when i slow down to a stop. I immediately took it to my shop, they pulled the codes and nothing related to the transmission or TOD showed up, just the O2 sensor i've known about. could this be trans, TOD, or computer issues?

Using search some one said that the "trans mode switch" can cause the dash light issue. is that expensive?

Please tell me its something cheap! i just got a job after 10 months of looking and get my first check Friday.... i know where its going :/

on a side note, ive been using AMSOIL for the engine with a 25K oil change ive burned only about 1/2 quart total! Yes i check it regularly.

HeckaTrebeka
09/02/2014, 10:59 PM
There's a thread on the forum about how to clean the TOD sensor. You can search the forum to find it, but that could be the fix for you. It looks to be fairly simple.

Lfen
09/02/2014, 11:56 PM
Just me, but I would use some Lucas transmission treatment before I did anything else. Had good results in the past.

FlyingV77
09/04/2014, 08:17 PM
Fixed it!
It was the trans mode switch. didn't even need a new one. the bolt holding it on was lose allowing it to wiggle during shifting. Cleaned it and the heat shield, and tightened it up. driving fine now.

Y33TREKker
09/04/2014, 08:53 PM
Fixed it!
It was the trans mode switch. didn't even need a new one. the bolt holding it on was lose allowing it to wiggle during shifting. Cleaned it and the heat shield, and tightened it up. driving fine now.
:thumbup:

FlyingV77
09/05/2014, 02:12 PM
OK spoke to soon. It started back up, I'll crawl back under and see if it's loose again. If so I'll lock tight it. Should I use Red or blue?

LittleBeast
09/05/2014, 11:40 PM
If you checked the fluid while it was cold then you are probably at least 1 qt low. You must run it through all the gears raise the temp and check the fluid while the engine is running.

yellowgizmo99
09/08/2014, 05:04 AM
use blue

FlyingV77
11/01/2014, 03:51 PM
Ok, finally found the part. Autozone has several of them if anyone else needs one. (Dallas area) they can ship to your location. Its called neutral safety switch in their system.
Should have it put on tomorrow. Wish me luck

FlyingV77
11/02/2014, 11:05 AM
It's on...

Drum roll.......

NOT fixed

I guess on to the silinoids next