PDA

View Full Version : Have you installed a diff drop?

Marlin
08/31/2014, 11:20 AM
Just curious to see how many installed diff drops to save their CVs, and if you get ducky, roll under the truck with a flashlight and see if your internal cuffs are torn, and if the flange shows any sign of rubbing on the prop shaft.

JoFotoz
08/31/2014, 11:32 AM
5 years and counting with diff drop.

NO cuff issues... YET!

Jo

LittleBeast
08/31/2014, 01:59 PM
Diff dropped a LONG time ago, no issues for me :-)

Marlin
08/31/2014, 02:02 PM
Did you look with a flashlight? I gotta see how much my diff dropped, mine was torn for years with no issues, as I said, until the soup bowl at uwharrie got water and mud in it, then it was a losing battle.

Triathlete
08/31/2014, 02:06 PM
No diff drop but 1 destroyed joint on my prop shaft. Since has been replaced with a low mileage trooper shaft...no issues.

VXorado
09/01/2014, 07:27 AM
I have a 2" drop and the boot/cuff ripped on the driveshaft years ago. Never had any issues with it and I would just add grease periodically to keep it lubricated.

2" is the max drop you can have before hitting the lower control arm... from what I've read, most other drops here are 1.5"

tom4bren
09/02/2014, 05:41 AM
The ones we used to get from Welder Guy are 2". The ones sold by Joe Darlington are 1.5".

I've had no issues from mine since I dropped ... so we'll be doing Boy's Ebony as soon as we lift it (assuming I ever get the engine put back together).

JHarris1385
09/02/2014, 05:57 AM
My boot is ripped.

Marlin
09/05/2014, 02:13 PM
There are lot more dropped diffs than I thought!

jmayer40
09/07/2014, 03:55 AM
I wonder if Joe Darlington fabbed them all ?

JoFotoz
09/07/2014, 11:27 AM
Nope...

I wonder if Joe Darlington fabbed them all ?

Tom got welder guy to do some, Joe Darlington did / does them...
....and maybe one other..Tone?
And IIRC..a couple of one off self made too.

Jo

ohiovx
09/07/2014, 04:18 PM
Haven't done mine yet. If I get the extra control arms modified I got off of a trooper. I'm going to have the diff brackets dropped 3" & rotate the pinion about .5" to help the driveshaft angle. If I don't do the control arms I'll just do the normal 1.5-2" drop on the diff brackets.

urbanterror
10/01/2014, 10:50 AM
The ones we used to get from Welder Guy are 2". The ones sold by Joe Darlington are 1.5".

I've had no issues from mine since I dropped ... so we'll be doing Boy's Ebony as soon as we lift it (assuming I ever get the engine put back together).

I've got my new VX in the shop now - just got it and had the transfer case replaced, cv axle, added the 3" OME lift, 33" tires and they are trimming the cladding as we speak.

http://www.raceland.rocks/images/intheair.jpg

Wish it was this high on the ground - seems I need a body lift now...

Anyway, you have 2 VXs - father-son? I just posted last night that I bought my second by accident because of this forum :0) Actually the one posted by jnolan with the seized motor, so now I have a father son project for his 16th Bday coming up in Jan.

Again thanks to jnolan for one heck of a deal on a his VX.

~UrbanTerror Thanks You :_steering

tom4bren
10/01/2014, 11:04 AM
Anyway, you have 2 VXs - father-son?

Yup. 01 Proton & 99 Ebony.

BTW, It looks like I'll need to do the diff drop on the Amigo too. Whilst doing brakes on Monday, I noticed that all 4 boots are torn.

Joe Darlington
10/11/2014, 10:51 AM
Nope...

Tom got welder guy to do some, Joe Darlington did / does them...
....and maybe one other..Tone?
And IIRC..a couple of one off self made too.

Jo

I have done and still build alot of them, even built most of the ones Tone was selling...