PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my 2001 Vehicross

Trygve
08/30/2014, 10:25 AM
My lovely 2001 VehiCross has about 100k miles but needs a completely new exhaust system ($2500 per mechanic). He thinks I should sell it in Ohio (passed e check 3 times, prior to my move to San Diego, CA. Would like opinions please. I know I will lose $$ if I sell.

Y33TREKker
08/30/2014, 11:03 AM
I would be curious why that mechanic thinks you need a new ENTIRE exhaust system.

My opinion...vehicles with mechanics are like people with doctors. Never hurts to get a second opinion.

nocturnalVX
08/30/2014, 11:37 AM
At least get a 2nd opinion. My VX has spent its entire life in the rust belt, and I only swapped out the muffler for a performance upgrade. I can't imagine why you would need an entire system, and why it would cost that much?

Otwobme
08/30/2014, 12:59 PM
I own a shop, sounds like he's trying to earthier take you to the bank or he wants to offer you a cheap price on you vx. I would think if anything it would need new cats. You can just get the universal ones for like a $120 each and maybe some o2 sensor, regardless there is no way it should be $2500 buck.

JoFotoz
08/30/2014, 01:45 PM
Thats CRAZY expensive.....

Are you in San Diego now?

I have a very good set of spare Manifolds.. and a good muffler...
...you can purchase from me.
All you'd need is a catalytic Converter.

And... I have a great exhaust shop here in SD that can put it all together
for probably a TENTH of that cost !!

OR..if you are in Ohio..I can ship it all to you via Greyhound ...
...which is cheapest usually.

let me know :)

Jo

Y33TREKker
08/30/2014, 03:02 PM
Just curious, does your VX still have Ohio license plates on it? Wouldn't be the first time a mechanic had tried to scam what they thought was an out-of-state traveler.

Lfen
08/30/2014, 03:17 PM
I agree, $2500 ?

No way. Get more estimates by shopping around.

Buffy
08/30/2014, 04:27 PM
I've had a complete system installed at a shop for less that 500.00

Trygve
08/31/2014, 08:57 AM
Thank you for all the posts. My wife who owns the Vehicross posted her question yesterday. The Vehicross is still in Ohio and my concern is that it would not pass the stricter California limits. The muffler is rusted through and the entire system is close to the end. The high dollar amount is predicated on needing OEM parts. Ordering OEM from ISUZU run about $3200. When I looked at aftermarket catalytic converters they said legal in 49 states except California. I have used the same mechanic for 30 years and have learned to trust him without exception. If I can verify that all Vehicross (1999 -2002) with OEM exhaust systems are California compliant it gives me more options which definitely do not include order new OEM parts from Isuzu

JoFotoz
08/31/2014, 11:09 AM
Are you wanting to bring the VX to San Diego??

If so..I can help.
I have most parts you need...
...know a great muffler shop..and a very good Smog guy.

Jo

Trygve
08/31/2014, 11:53 AM
Yes, I plan to. I have looked at the exhaust system and it is close to the edge. Not all that sure it would not fail on the drive out there. Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you.

JoFotoz
08/31/2014, 12:05 PM
Cool... :thumbup:

Yes, I plan to. I have looked at the exhaust system and it is close to the edge.
Not all that sure it would not fail on the drive out there. Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you.

I'm happy to ship you the muffler and manifolds etc that I have.
The stock VX set up passes California Emissions Regs easily.

The part are from a 2001 California VX..NO rust..all in great shape...90K miles.

jo

circmand
10/30/2014, 08:38 AM
Cool... :thumbup:

I'm happy to ship you the muffler and manifolds etc that I have.
The stock VX set up passes California Emissions Regs easily.

The part are from a 2001 California VX..NO rust..all in great shape...90K miles.

jo

My exhaust system needs major work so I figured bite the bullet and replace the whole thing. Do you still have these parts? Pics? Price?

mattferguson14
10/30/2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, I plan to. I have looked at the exhaust system and it is close to the edge. Not all that sure it would not fail on the drive out there. Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you.

I work for the nation's largest automotive transportation company. I can help you arrange for the vehicle to be shipped to SD if you'd like to play it safe. PM me if you are interested.

That goes for anyone else out there who may need auto transportation also. ;Db;