PDA

View Full Version : how can I tell?

Bagheera
11/23/2003, 10:28 AM
Ok, so say there is no record for work being done to the hood insert, headlight gasket or window binding problem (it's a 1999) Is there any way to tell by looking at it if any of those problems have been replaced/fixed?

SPAZZ
11/23/2003, 12:28 PM
ask yourself

a) Is there a crack in hood insert or not???

b) Is headlight gasket coming unglued or not???

c) Is window binding or is it working properly????

By asking yourself these simple questions and by physically looking at part/component in question and by answering these questions.......you can decide for yourself......wow!!! easy, huh?

Bagheera
11/23/2003, 01:41 PM
Ok so I guess it was a dumb question.

I just thought maybe you had some advice on checking if it was fixed or if the replacement parts look different.

Deathbyarchitect
11/23/2003, 03:02 PM
Hey Bagheera
I guess you are not original owner of your VX.
I don't think any replacement parts look different except newer.
And If you have those problems, you can ask for replace/repair them again if your VX is still under warantee.

Dylan19
11/23/2003, 05:22 PM
Factory body parts have factory ID stickers on them, replacments have a different sticker. All this info is in the manual. As for the window, or headlight you might be able to find some service records but its doubtful.

Bagheera
11/23/2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your help guys....

;Dy;

~Kiersten

Dallas4u
11/23/2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
ask yourself

a) Is there a crack in hood insert or not???

b) Is headlight gasket coming unglued or not???

c) Is window binding or is it working properly????

By asking yourself these simple questions and by physically looking at part/component in question and by answering these questions.......you can decide for yourself......wow!!! easy, huh?

Any one of these things could happen whether the item has been replaced, reglued, or greased... this stuff is almost guaranteed!

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/24/2003, 05:19 PM
yeah...I think Isuzu replaces the entire headlight units in regards to the weatherstripping seal to simply get you through the warranty period until it happens again and you are stuck with it. I simply used some GE clear Silicon RTV on mine and they seem perfectly fine. I would rather do this every few years (if necessary) than risk screwdriver scratches on body and cladding by a mechanic in his
effort to replace whole headlight units (that will, undoubtably, peel loose again!).

So far...simply silicon spraying the window tracks every 4/6 weeks seems to be working in regards to the windows working correctly. If you notice the window speed slightly slowing down or the window starting to go up at a less than perfect angle than its time to respray. Once my warranty is up I may pursue Phine's window fix...but, for now Silicon seems to work nicely and is a cheap fix.

I haven't had the hood insert problem. I'm assuming it is due to over-torquing at the factory?

tomdietrying
11/24/2003, 06:24 PM
Here is a simple solution. Go to your local Isuzu dealer. Hopefully there is one nearby. Give the sevice tech guy your
VIN # and ask him to check the service records for you. If any work has been done by an Isuzu Dealer, and it probably was because it was under warrenty, it will show up.

Hope that helps.

Peace
Tomdietrying

p.s.
This is a board to help not belittle eachother. Peace to you Spazz.

VX crazy
11/24/2003, 08:10 PM
Not to be rude but I ditto Spazz! Common sense...

Bagheera
11/25/2003, 03:34 AM
Thanks tomdietrying

I will contact the Isuzu dealer & get them to run the VIN#...EXCELLENT idea ;)

~Kiersten

SGT.BATGUANO
11/25/2003, 10:11 PM
As to the window question, I think the "official Isuzu fix" ( I bought a copy of an Isuzu service CD that shows this) may require drilling out and replacing the window regulator rivets, installing shims, and replacing rivets with nut and bolt. Can anyone that's had the Isuzu fix confirm this?

totallto
11/26/2003, 10:16 AM
SGT. BATGUANO,

I would like to get a copy of that CD!
dose it have a part #?

SGT.BATGUANO
11/26/2003, 04:45 PM
Got it off e-pay a couple months back. It's called Isuzu Technician Seminar 2002. It's a burned copy so no part # is shown on it.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/10/2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by totallto
SGT. BATGUANO,

I would like to get a copy of that CD!
dose it have a part #?

There is another one of these CDs on epay. I believe the seller is babydi

joe-yamma
01/11/2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by tomdietrying
Here is a simple solution. Go to your local Isuzu dealer. Hopefully there is one nearby. Give the sevice tech guy your
VIN # and ask him to check the service records for you. If any work has been done by an Isuzu Dealer, and it probably was because it was under warrenty, it will show up.

Tomdietrying, I bought my VX in Michigan and the previous owner (2nd, I am 3rd) did not give me any service records.
I asked my local dealership service mgr if there is a way that they can look up service at other dealerships (by VIN or whatever) and he told me 'no'... He told me that Isuzu doesn't have any system like that set up and the only way to inquire about service is to call the actual dealership where the service was done.

Is this BS? Is there a way to get service records for my VX?
Do services like Carfax, etc have that kind of info???

If anyone has any ideas and/or suggestions about this, please let me know.

The reason I want to know is I'd like to try to find out if the 30,000 mile service was ever done before I spend $369 at my local dealer to have it done.

Thanks!
Joe

SGT.BATGUANO
01/11/2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
There is another one of these CDs on epay. I believe the seller is babydi

OOPS! The seller is toizrus2