PDA

View Full Version : Locking and unlocking doors

PSINGLEY@AMIMACHINING.COM
08/20/2014, 01:25 PM
I have problems with my 2001 Proton door locks. The key works perfectly to lock and unlock the doors. If they are both unlocked the key will lock them both with one turn. If they are locked the key will first unlock the drivers and then with the second turn unlock the passengers. So far, so good.

If I'm sitting in the drivers seat I can lock and unlock both doors from my switch on the door. BUT if I'm in the passenger side the switch there will only LOCK the door. It wont unlock the door. Is this normal??? I just tried replacing the switch and it didnt change anything.

I also tried replacing the single door relay. (the round relay on the security harness)

When using the key FOB it will lock both doors, but it wont unlock them. I need to use the key. When trying to unlock I get 2 chirps with the first turn of the key and 3 chirps (which should unlock the 2nd door)

Is this typical?

Paul

08/20/2014, 01:27 PM
Sorry, its a 2000 Proton, I was thinking of my Trooper, which is a 2001. This is my 4th Trooper!

Mile High VX
08/20/2014, 01:40 PM
I can't help you much but here is where you can find the manual for the entry system:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=10

08/20/2014, 01:57 PM
I have the manual, in fact I have the whole electrical wiring book as well as the one for the security system. At this time I'm wondering if this is the way it's supposed to work. Maybe it never really did all that I'm assuming it should do.

Cobrajet
08/20/2014, 02:50 PM
If I'm sitting in the drivers seat I can lock and unlock both doors from my switch on the door. BUT if I'm in the passenger side the switch there will only LOCK the door. It wont unlock the door. Is this normal???
When using the key FOB it will lock both doors, but it wont unlock them. I need to use the key. When trying to unlock I get 2 chirps with the first turn of the key and 3 chirps (which should unlock the 2nd door)

Is this typical?

Paul
In 13 years and 145,000 miles this was the first time I remember ever using my key to unlock the doors. I works as you described, much like the key fob.
One turn (or one press of the fob button) unlocks the drivers side, while a second turn (or button press) unlocks the passenger door. It doesn't chirp when I use the key.

However, I am able to unlock BOTH doors from either the driver or passenger side switches. So yours is misbehaving.

The key will manually unlock the passenger door, but does not trigger any electric solenoids. Also, I found out that if you play with the dirver's door key too much, or in the wrong fashion, it sets off the alarm. D'OH! I think it was mad at me! :)

[I played with it some more. It set off the alarm if I used the key to unlock the doors and then opened the door. That just seems wrong! I think I'll stick with just using the key fob.]