PDA

View Full Version : Rear Cargo Panel Mods

Lfen
08/16/2014, 12:46 PM
Ok I have both rear panels off, due to speaker replacements. Before I reinstall them I would like to know if anyone has ever had any success with any type of insulation/sound proofing, whether it's a spray on or adhesive type ?

Just wondering if it's worth the research, $$, and time.

eternal21
08/16/2014, 02:14 PM
Ok I have both rear panels off, due to speaker replacements. Before I reinstall them I would like to know if anyone has ever had any success with any type of insulation/sound proofing, whether it's a spray on or adhesive type ?

Just wondering if it's worth the research, $$, and time.

Def. worthwhile. I recommend RAAMMAT Ensolite sheets. They're self adhering, and very very light considering the other alternatives. Are you trying to deaden sound from a sub/speakers, or general rattles and what not?

workmeistr
08/16/2014, 03:31 PM
I used RAAMAT and their foam sound insulation when I had the panels off to do rear speakers. Their foam sound deadoner wasn't self adhesive, at least not up to a couple years ago. I still have two cans of their spray adhesive left I used to attach the foam sound deadoning to the mats. Do the roof while you're at it. It's just a few more screws to drop the roof. Wherever there is a clip attaching the side panels to the metal, cut a silver dollar sized circle out of the RAAMAT so that the sides can sit flush against the metal, though I didn't cut the foam back, which provides a bit of rattle control as it's compressed between the side panels and the metal. I also installed the rear dome light while doing this job. Good luck. Have Goof Off ready to clean the scissors or knife you'll cut the RAAMAT with; it'll get pretty gunked up with the tar material.

VX KAT
08/16/2014, 05:55 PM
Here's two detailed threads and How To on sound dampening.

http://www.beszeljukmeg.com/VX/Sound_Damping/vxsd.html

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11063&highlight=dynamatting

eternal21
08/16/2014, 07:45 PM
I used RAAMAT and their foam sound insulation when I had the panels off to do rear speakers. Their foam sound deadoner wasn't self adhesive, at least not up to a couple years ago.

I, too, did door panels about 3 years ago using the Ensolite. I still have about 25sq ft of it w/out adhesive, along w/spray adhesive. Planning on doing the door panels with those shortly. However, I ordered some a few weeks ago for a little project I'm working on, and it comes 1) in sections now, no more cut offs from the roll and 2) it is adhesive backed.

Have Goof Off ready to clean the scissors or knife you'll cut the RAAMAT with; it'll get pretty gunked up with the tar material.
Disposable razor blades are your friend :)

Lfen
08/16/2014, 07:56 PM
All this is great info, thanks for responding.
Looks like I will go with the RAAMmat/Ensolite path.

Lfen
08/17/2014, 02:57 AM
But damn, looks like lots of hours for this project!
I Will have to schedule another Vaca for this, lol.

LittleBeast
08/17/2014, 06:11 AM
RAAM audio, and yes it is worth it.

JoFotoz
08/17/2014, 12:50 PM
I think it was Greg ( Orion ) that used chemical foam in the back of his VX
when he removed all the "walls' etc.

IIRC..he made covers for the cut outs..and filled the double wall 'void'
with foam....then bed liner'd the entire back.

Jo

eternal21
08/17/2014, 07:25 PM
I think it was Greg ( Orion ) that used chemical foam in the back of his VX
when he removed all the "walls' etc.

IIRC..he made covers for the cut outs..and filled the double wall 'void'
with foam....then bed liner'd the entire back.

Jo

Correct!

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19063