PDA

View Full Version : Another timing belt thread question

ahdoman
08/15/2014, 10:38 PM
Hey all,
I need to do the timing belt on Pearl (102k and there's no evidence that it's been done). I've read most all of the threads I could find on the subject and have Barts guide at the ready but I have a couple of un-answered questions;

1) If all of the pulley marks are lined up with the castings on the block is the engine at TDC? If not, how do you confirm that (other than pulling #1 plug to measure or the valve cover)?

2) It looks like the job can be done without having to remove the radiator or fan shield (obviously it will need to be drained and hoses removed). Is this true?

I've done timing belts (and a chain) before so I always think in terms of TDC when I'm doing the job.

Triathlete
08/16/2014, 01:31 PM
You "probably" could do it without removing the radiator and shroud but it would make it much more difficult. The radiator and shroud are easy to remove, only a few bolts holding each, but opens up a lot of space making the job much easier.

ahdoman
08/16/2014, 04:05 PM
It's actually not too bad without removing the radiator. I recommend putting a piece of cardboard in front of it so you don't damage it.

You will have to remove the top of the fan cowl to get the fan out and I removed the upper radiator hose on the drivers side just so I had a little extra room.

BTW - I had some scrap metal sitting in the garage and so I made myself a crank lock tool to remove and replace the lower pulley bolt. Worked great. I'm going to make this a "community" tool for any of you that need to do your timing belt. If you need to use it, just PM me your info, you pay the shipping and it's yours. Then when you're done with it, hang onto it and pass it off to the next person.

IndianaVX
08/17/2014, 02:31 PM
I will look when I can, but there are a couple of very good service tech videos floating around for timing our engines. Again, there are 2 of them, seems like maybe a 2 parter.

IndianaVX
08/17/2014, 02:33 PM
Thought they were on here! One is for when timing is disrupted, the other when it hasn't ....

http://vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=37

ahdoman
08/18/2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks Indiana. I found those threads.

Belt replacement is all done. I came up with a couple of additional tips that made it even easier to do the replacement. I'm putting them together into a PDF that I'll post. I was able to do it without removing the radiator.

tom4bren
08/19/2014, 05:02 AM
I made myself a crank lock tool to remove and replace the lower pulley bolt. Worked great. I'm going to make this a "community" tool for any of you that need to do your timing belt. If you need to use it, just PM me your info, you pay the shipping and it's yours. Then when you're done with it, hang onto it and pass it off to the next person.

Yah, I made one of those too ... your's looks much prettier than mine though. :) Since we now have 3 Isuzus, I'll keep mine but would be happy to loan it out as well if needed.

BTW, I removed the TB without removing the radiator too (I just didn't want to mess with the tranny fluid issue).

Triathlete
08/19/2014, 11:49 AM
No special tool needed...Air impact wrench :) Came right off!

MSHardeman
08/19/2014, 12:02 PM
You definitely have to remove the radiator to get the air impact wrench in there.

I made a similar tool, per Bart's instructions (flat bar stock, threaded rod, nuts, etc), and ended up bending it to poop trying to get the harmonic balancer nut off. I didn't have any kind of impact wrench so after much soul searching and talking to VXorado who had just done his timing belt replacement, I used what we'll call a "unique" method to get the nut holding the harmonic balancer off. I found a socket to fit the nut and then attached it to a two foot breaker bar. I braced the breaker bar against the frame rail and then got in the VX and gave the key a quick turn (radiator was out and fuel was disconnected so the engine would not have started). The torque from the engine turning over, coupled with the breaker bar braced against the frame rail backed that nut right off. :thumbup: Little scary, but it worked like a charm.

Triathlete
08/19/2014, 03:21 PM
Probably took longer to make the tool than to remove/replace the radiator :D

ahdoman
08/19/2014, 11:06 PM
I was actually able to get my impact wrench on the nut but it wouldn't break it lose. I read about the starter idea but I'm not a fan of "goldberging" it.

I had the scrap available. It took me about 15 minutes to make the tool and I figured why not, it's now available for others to use as well.

tom4bren
08/20/2014, 04:36 AM
Probably took longer to make the tool than to remove/replace the radiator :D

Yah ... it did ... what's your point????:)

There are 3 ways to do just about everything: The right way - the wrong way - & my way.

Dmitrikr
08/29/2014, 08:26 PM
You definitely have to remove the radiator to get the air impact wrench in there.

The torque from the engine turning over, coupled with the breaker bar braced against the frame rail backed that nut right off. :thumbup: Little scary, but it worked like a charm.

agreed!!! did the same on other cars as well.

Lfen
08/30/2014, 03:20 PM
Same here.
That is how I did it on my VX.