PDA

View Full Version : Auto hub

Vinnybin
08/05/2014, 09:09 AM
When switching from (dirt) 4L to 4H paved, the VX acts like its driving on sticky asphalt like something is mucking up the wheels from spinning freely. Any thoughts?

MSHardeman
08/05/2014, 11:14 AM
How are you switching from 4H to 4L because it sounds like you aren't coming completely out of 4L? The old school way that I was taught is to put the transmission in neutral, shift into (or out of) 4L (or 4H) then put the transmission in reverse and back up a few feet. After that drop the trans into drive and go about your day. I think the theory is that reversing after switching to/from 4H/4L allows the gears to mesh up properly. Don't know if that's true or not, but it hasn't failed me yet. At the very least the transmission should be in neutral when you switch 4H/4L.

Hades
08/06/2014, 11:03 PM
I had a hell of a hard time getting mine into 4L, coming from a jeep where you just thrust the lever into 4L regardless of the transmission. Have to try it with neutral next time I go to the beach.

tom4bren
08/07/2014, 07:02 AM
The old school way that I was taught is to put the transmission in neutral, shift into (or out of) 4L (or 4H) then put the transmission in reverse and back up a few feet. After that drop the trans into drive and go about your day.

This is a very good habit to get into. It certainly doesn't hurt anything and may help with your issue.

Basically when driving in 4L, the gears tend to bind up a little (on any 4X, not just the VX). Reversing allows the gears to release that built up tension.

Also, never ever drive on dry pavement in 4L (especially whilst turning). Switch back to 4H before getting back onto pavement.