PDA

View Full Version : VX in Canada

Bagheera
11/22/2003, 08:01 PM
Hello everyone ;)

I am going to pick up my 1999 Black VX in about 9 days from Washington (near the Vancouver, B.C.border)

We don't have these vehicles here in Canada so this will be the first time I will even TOUCH one :D

Anyway I HAD to have the VX, but from reading all of your posts on the Isuzu customer relations etc & "things that go wrong" with these vehicles, should I be worried with the 26,000 miles on mine? Is there anything that goes wrong that early?

Thanks for all your future replies....I will have more posts to come as the time ticks before the 9 days are up!

~Kiersten

AlaskaVX
11/24/2003, 12:01 PM
Hey if you do some searching you will find all the common problems, but its nothing that will put your car out of commision, its more just cosmetics, seals around headlights, 18" rims peeling on inside, and power window problems.

Makes me wonder if I was the first Vehicross into Canada? 11/01

Bagheera
11/24/2003, 12:19 PM
Hey Alaska VX,

I bet you were the first ;Dy; ...have you seem others too?

The only thing that I don't want to happen right now is the power window jammin' up....damn cold right now, eh?

The 16" rims never peeled?

Oh yeah....did you have any problems getting the VX into Canada? There's a list of inadmissable vehicles & I was told the VX would pass though, however I am still a bit nervous...if they deny me there will be one cheap VehiCROSS available at the border :(

~Kiersten

AlaskaVX
11/24/2003, 12:40 PM
The 16" rims don't have the peeling problem. I couldn't believe how easy it was getting into Canada. I think they only asked me 3 questions- Can I see your liscence? What kind of car is that? Where are you heading?
There is a window fix somewhere on this site, I need to find it too. It's just bending something on the inside of the door or something, I will find it....

Bagheera
11/24/2003, 12:44 PM
Did you actually import the vehicle into Canada? Pay duty, GST, register it, etc? I have to fill out TONS of paper work to own this SUV here :confused:

Maybe it was different back in '01?

Oh hey...was the warrenty still good once you crossed the border?

AlaskaVX
11/24/2003, 12:54 PM
Here is the window fix (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002814.html)
I just bought it off ebay, then flew down to drive it up.

I supposedley needed a temporary Canada insurance card and maybe one other sheet of paper for something, but they never asked to see any of it, just "Cool car, have a fun drive to Alaska, do you know theres a snowstorm on the way? Drive safe" Of course I crossed the border at like 3:00AM. This was 2-3 weeks after 9/11 so I would think that security would be increased.

Coming into Alaska they drilled me more, even though I showed an Alaska I.D., but nothing bad at all except they made me poor my only beer out before I went into the US. (wasn't 21 at the time)

Bagheera
11/24/2003, 01:02 PM
BAHAHA...whatta waste ;)

Thanks for that window fix, Alaska!

cheers:D

~Kiersten

hchen
11/24/2003, 02:55 PM
if you want 16's...we can swap ^_^

Bagheera
11/24/2003, 03:09 PM
hchen,

I have 16's too :(
You must have been directing that to Alaska?

AlaskaVX
11/24/2003, 03:23 PM
And it will be a cold day in hell when you see me give mine up, after all that fuss getting them replaced under warranty.

hchen read before ya post bud....

mdf
11/26/2003, 05:10 PM
I was one of three vx's in toronto for three years...you'll need to get the lights modified so they are on all times, which Canadian Tire can do for you...otherwise no problem

VX922
12/24/2003, 10:01 PM
Hi, I took my VX to Canada on 26/09/1999. Crossing
the border between Alberta and Montana.

Bagheera
12/25/2003, 04:07 PM
Hi VX922

Where are you and your VX now? In Alberta....

I was wondering about that daytime running light kit that we need to have before we register our vehicles in Canada....did you install that yourself? I am going to attemp it this weekend...well ok I'll watch while my b/f does it ;)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

VX922
12/25/2003, 05:04 PM
I visited Alberta in 1999 but a week or so I went back to Colorado. However I am in Edmonton, Ab now since summer of 2001.
I never imported/registered my VX since I don't want to give Canadian taxman any money and I will go back to Colorado soon I hope. Now the plates are expired and truck sits in a garage.
Anyway I am familiar with the import procedure because when I was visiting relatives in Christmas of 1996 I was driving my Trooper that I used to have. The Canadian border guy was of the opinion that I have to import the old truck (3weeks stay limit). Before entering Canada I had to pay a ransom of few hundred dollars later the vehicle had to pass about 3 inspections. Modifications I did were about five pieces of masking tape with felt pen written numbers for the metric speedo read-out, French side of a cereal box taped to the sun visor to override English text on it. For the daytime running lights I put in a jumper from the ignition switch to headlights. I don’t need to mention that I removed all that crap as soon as I crossed the border two weeks later. The truck never came back to Canada.
You can probably do the same temporary fix, after all most of the people have enough brains to be able when to turn their headlights on without the government telling them.
I have a full set of factory manuals and I can help you identify the wires you need to jump.
What I found amusing that during my first visit I was listening to one of the Edmonton radio stations and one of the radio guys was talking about the truck for a bit, I gather that he had seen me somewhere in that town.

Bagheera
12/25/2003, 07:09 PM
VX922,

Check your PM

;)