PDA

View Full Version : Transmission / transfer case blow by

ahdoman
07/19/2014, 08:03 AM
Hey all,
First let me say thanks for your patience in answering my questions. I promise they will soon subside:p. I am doing a site search and Google before post.

Anyway - I finally got under Pearl last night and started checking fluids. There was a small drip of trans fluid on the ground when I looked under her. When I jacked the car from one side (passenger) fluid began dripping from the crossmember where it obviously had pooled. I couldn't locate a place where the fluid could be originating from except there is a lot of what looks like blowby on the underside of the VX body. Is there a vent on the top of the trans or transfer case? The leak looks like it is on top somewhere and dripping down because it is dripping from several locations on the underside of the transfer case.

VXobsession
07/19/2014, 09:00 AM
Yes there is a vent line on top of the transmission. These transmissions are well known for leaking out the front seal. Pull off the metal cover on the bottom of the bell housing and see if it is wet inside.

VXobsession
07/19/2014, 09:00 AM
By the way, my husband and I own a transmission shop in Arkansas.

ahdoman
07/19/2014, 09:10 AM
Is it just a breather style vent or does the line terminate somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is either missing or disconnected. I'll also pull the cover off the bell housing but everything is dry at the front. The fluid seems to be concentrated around the top of the transfer case area.

"By the way, my husband and I own a transmission shop in Arkansas."
I saw that. If weren't so far away in SoCal I'd be knocking on your door and have you do an inspection for me.

Triathlete
07/19/2014, 01:23 PM
Another known leak area is the selector shaft seal on the drivers side of the trans.

eternal21
07/20/2014, 09:56 AM
Is it just a breather style vent or does the line terminate somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is either missing or disconnected. I'll also pull the cover off the bell housing but everything is dry at the front. The fluid seems to be concentrated around the top of the transfer case area.

On the passenger's side of the transfer case, there a part that juts out. This is where the low/high selector linkage is located. At the end of that "island" as I like to call it, there is a single line clamped into place, which is the vent line. If you start tracing it, you can find where it has a breather type fitting on it, located up towards the engine bay.