PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Replacement

JHarris1385
07/18/2014, 05:52 PM
..First I know there are a number of posts/threads about this but I am making a new one instead of replying to 4-5 and making them current.

My VX is getting another overhaul, this time some suspension parts and a muffler.

Super 44 Flowmaster will be installed Monday.

I need all 4 ball joints replaced.

1. (Tools/difficulty) I havent decided if I should do it myself or not. Seems like a few have had problems getting them off. For the ones that have tried, did you struggle with using only the long fork or were you using/used the separator tool that you wrench? I replied to that other post about the $200 tool that quickly does it but before the post had planned on buying the harbor freight version.

2. (Source/Quality) I normally buy from Advanced Auto Parts for their quality and price (always a coupon code somewhere for them). I can get Driveworks cheap then Beck Arnley as well ($72 for all four Driveworks). However there is this kit on Ebay that includes tie rod ends: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Steering-Acura-SLX-Isuzu-Trooper-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rod-End-High-Qual-/370642252043?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVehiCROSS&hash=item564bfff10b&vxp=mtr

I think it was Tri that replaced with an ebay kit, any issues with them?

Thanks in advance

eternal21
07/18/2014, 08:46 PM
1. (Tools/difficulty) I havent decided if I should do it myself or not. Seems like a few have had problems getting them off. For the ones that have tried, did you struggle with using only the long fork or were you using/used the separator tool that you wrench? I replied to that other post about the $200 tool that quickly does it but before the post had planned on buying the harbor freight version.

Harbor Freight unit won't work;the opening is too small.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=77867#p687672

JHarris1385
07/18/2014, 09:26 PM
Did any alternative work for you?

VXorado
07/19/2014, 07:16 AM
A pitman arm puller works great for pulling the ball joints & tie rods (& pitman arm :rolleyes:) on the VX. Takes a couples minutes per joint once in place. I paid around $10 at O'Reillys for my pitman arm puller a few years ago and have used it countless times. In fact, I don't take off for a trail run without it!

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/pfm/w80557.jpg

To replace the upper (UBJ) & lower ball joints (LBJ)...
1. Remove front tires and support everything with jackstands
2. Remove castle nut on LBJ and place puller on balljoint.
3. Tighten down puller. Once tight, tap hammer on ball joint every turn until it pops free.
4. Loosen 4 bolts for LBJ and remove assembly
5. Remove axle hub and snap ring for half-shaft
6. Pull spindle out and up until half shaft splines are pulled out of hub. Move half-shaft to the side
7. Install lower ball joint on Spindle, install 1-2 bolts on control arm and hand tighten. Doing this keeps the spindle in place when you remove the UBJ. You may need to jack up lower control arm to place LBJ for bolts.
7. With half-shaft out of the way, you can place puller on UBJ. Follow step #2&3 for procedure.
8. Install new UBJ, Remove bolts for LBJ, fit half-shaft back in hub and install all bolts for LBJ.
9. Repeat for other side.

It's really not difficult... If you have access to a decent set of tools, the job should only take a couple hours for all 4 ball joints.

I bought cheap autozone BJs years ago because they were inexpensive and had a lifetime warranty. Terrible idea! I've since replaced the lower ball joints at least 4 times and the uppers twice. Personally, I would spend the money on MOOG if I did it again.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W80557.oap?ck=Search_pitman++arm+puller_-1_2816&keyword=pitman++arm+puller

JHarris1385
07/19/2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks Rado.

You would suggest buy the puller vs. the separator tool of similar price point?

Did you break your joints off roading or from normal use?
Moog is nearly triple $.

VXorado
07/19/2014, 02:02 PM
Personally, I would buy the pitman arm puller because it works well for so many things. I'm sure there are advantages to either. I recently had to remove a pitman arm and already had the tool to do it... which (for once) was nice.

I actually had the most issues with the autozone ball joints driving on pavement. I'm sure the 35s didn't help.

JoFotoz
07/19/2014, 02:32 PM
Flowmaster Super 44 .........

.............:clap: :thumbup: :dance: :dan_ban:

Love mine.

Jo

JHarris1385
07/20/2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah pretty excited to have a good muffler, and took your advice from a previous thread back in March.

From what I have read on the Planet is both Moog and Beck Arn. package re-branded parts.

$75 for all four corners for Driveworks and $160 for all four Moogs at Rock Auto. Not too bad of an increase.

eternal21
07/20/2014, 09:47 AM
When I did mine, I went ahead and picked up the ball joint spacers from Independent4x and completed the ball joint flip, as well. Might want to think about that while you're in there.

JHarris1385
07/20/2014, 01:40 PM
You think the 1/4 inch makes enough difference?

JHarris1385
07/22/2014, 08:53 PM
They could not get the Super 44, but did install a 40, very impressed.

I ordered Moog on all 4 corners and Timken bearings as well.

STILL OVERHEATING:
I have in the past year:
Flushed Rad.
New Thermostat, Water Pump, Timing Belt, Serp Belt, Tensioner, Intake gaskets.
TP sensor...etc im forgetting too.

Triathlete
07/22/2014, 09:24 PM
Have you changed your fan clutch for the overheating issue?

eternal21
07/23/2014, 07:33 AM
Have you changed your fan clutch for the overheating issue?

+1. Truck overheated for over 2+ years. Tried an electric fan, chemicals (Water Wetter) + TWO electric fans, wired the a/c fan to stay on all the time, custom fan shroud, bigger radiator.....still over heated. Replaced the stock fan clutch, went back to the original fan and no more problems.

Two years of suffering, man. TWO YEARS.

circmand
07/23/2014, 08:17 AM
In my other car was showing over heated. Took it in the guy used a infrared temperature gun turns out wasn't over heated the voltage regulator was bad and showed everything higher than it was. Also affected my gas gauge and I ran out of gas in the middle of the Mohave Desert

BigSwede
07/23/2014, 08:19 AM
You think the 1/4 inch makes enough difference?

Once you have done the BJ 'flip', it is easy to add the spacers later on if you can't get the camber within spec.

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 08:36 AM
How do you test a bad fan clutch?

Mine arent flipped yet and my camber has never been too bad, but I plan to flip when I tackle this repair. I have one of the lifetime firestone alignment plans.

eternal21
07/23/2014, 08:46 AM
How do you test a bad fan clutch?

Mine arent flipped yet and my camber has never been too bad, but I plan to flip when I tackle this repair. I have one of the lifetime firestone alignment plans.

I've always heard to spin your fan manually. Lack of resistance = bad fan clutch, so I'm told. However, my fan spun with resistance, so I dismissed it.

Truck had 75kish on it when I got it, and this problem started then. Given what I've heard/read/seen, I'd think if your truck is around that mileage, it is a strong possibility. When I replaced it, and the problem officially stopped, I ordered another to keep as a spare. Later on down the road, it'll be a life saver, I'm sure.

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 12:48 PM
I had decent resistance. It didnt spin longer than normal after shut off either.

Im wondering if this is leading to an overheating trans?

eternal21
07/23/2014, 12:52 PM
Yeah, same thing I said, which is why I resisted changing it.

What's your current mileage?

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 01:43 PM

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 01:54 PM
So if yours passed the test(s), but then changing it solved the problems, maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy yet another part.

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 02:30 PM
Ordered one from Advanced Auto.

- Ran a couple more tests and paid better attention. It never reduces in speed or increases. Then I did a newspaper test I read about. And it easily failed that one. It said if a rolled wad of paper can stop the fan at op. temp then its defective. Looks like its been running in a low frozen state.

eternal21
07/23/2014, 03:33 PM
Good man, let me know how it goes!

JHarris1385
07/23/2014, 07:09 PM
Looks to be a simple repair. Right?

eternal21
07/24/2014, 07:21 AM
Relatively. 4 (10mm, IIRC) nuts hold the fan to the fan clutch. Then 4 more nuts (12mm or 14mm) hold the fan clutch in place. Removal of the fan is somewhat interesting b/c the space is tight due to the radiator being in place.

Make sure you pay attention when replacing the fan to make sure that you don't put in on in reverse.

JHarris1385
07/24/2014, 11:25 PM
Im calling my go to cheap mechanic tomorrow for the ball joint repair!

This fan clutch didnt go as planned:
Had to make another trip back for the specialty wrench
Then I stripped a nut...long story short, I filed it down till it wore off
So now I gotta make a trip in the a.m. for nuts

JHarris1385
07/29/2014, 06:51 PM
Welp, couldnt get a hold of him yet. He is anti technology and never answers his home phone. The guy does good work and dirt cheap where you feel like he lost money working on it. I always tip him, its that bad.

Anyways, worst case scenario, what would you pay a shop to complete this repair?

Also, if all four are bad (split boots), how likely is a major wheel popping off failure? I drive 10-20miles daily starting tomorrow of 70mph interstate.

ND92
10/28/2014, 10:59 AM
Hey guys
sorry to bring up an old thread.

I need to replace all 4 Ball Joints and was wondering what the BEST ones are that I can get(upgrade over stock). I've looked at a few but I have no knowledge of Ball Joints. I was looking at Indy 4X's premium Ball joint set but at $400 its a little pricey.