PDA

View Full Version : I noticed my power steering fluid leak...

eternal21
07/13/2014, 05:22 PM
...was getting worse. I've had it since I've had the truck, but it has just required filling every 6 months or so. It's been a slow and steady loss of fluid. Last weekend, we changed the upper and lower ball joints on both sides, and the inner and outer boots on both sides, as well. As this is a messy job, when finished, I sprayed under the truck w/a high pressure water hose. The next day, when leaving work, I noticed a puddle on the ground in front of the truck. It had bled out all the p.s. fluid. So I topped it off, and it lasted for a few days, but it was almost empty again yesterday. This morning I finally decided to ascertain where the issue was so I could fix it. I spent the better part of 4 hours tracking down the leak. I had mentioned @ one of the VX meet ups this spring that I was going to replace the rack, as I thought that's where the leak was coming from. I was also anticipated a bad gear box or pump, but those were ruled out as the leak was coming from somewhere near the radiator. Turns out it's a hose, which is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

This is where it gets awesome. In order to get to the hose, I had to remove the radiator and the radiator fan.....which I had to remove a few weeks ago when the radiator sprung a leak. I hate, hate, hate having to do things twice, as it is a colossal waste of time.

Ordered the hose, it'll be here sometime this week. It's a pain to remove it, as it attaches to the pump. I'm planning on completing the removal before the new part arrives.

Triathlete
07/13/2014, 05:30 PM
The hoses are notorious for leaks. Most ps leaks have been the hose. They are a pain in the rear to change...about a 4 hour job. I have read it helps if you access through the wheel well. This is on my to do list. It is also better to change them sooner rather than later...The fluid destroys bushings when it leaks on them...ask me how I know. Upper and lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings are also on that list...Once it cools down a bit here.

eternal21
07/13/2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to pull the hose out pump-side, I had to look through the wheel well, as it isn't really accessible from the top or bottom. The wheel well flaps look promising.

While I was looking for the replacement hose, I can see how it connects to the pump, so yeah, it'll have to be detached through the wheel well, then pulled up through the top. I'm replacing this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-80368-Steering-Pressure-Hose/dp/B001NYMEB0/

So far, I've had to pull off the air box assembly, the radiator and fan. This looks like that'll be all that has to come off. Once this is done, the only other leaks I'll have are from the intake manifold gaskets, which are sitting in the garage, and then all the maintenance will be done :)

eternal21
07/19/2014, 08:58 PM
The hose came in yesterday, so I went ahead and replaced it. The bolt that holds the hose onto the pump can't be removed from the tire well, as you can't really turn the 24mm wrench as it hits the interior wheel well.
http://infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/enginebay/bottombolt.jpg

To take off the hose, you really need two 24mm (or 15/16") wrenches, one to hold the piece that the hoses attaches to, and the other to remove the bolt.
http://infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/enginebay/pspump.jpg

See that gasket? If you remove the bracket that the top hose attaches to, you have to replace it. There's a PS pump gasket kit you can get from Autozone for $17.99, OR you can pick up a gasket pack from O'Reilly's that has 18 different-sized gaskets for $7.99. The package advertises that they are made of Viton, and are safe to come in constant contact w/fuel. So, that means PS fluid will be no problem. Unfortunately, after I hooked up that line the first time round, I didn't replace that gasket. I filled up the reservoir partially to check for leaks, and of course it leaked. That required taking the hose off again, which is a pain b/c the bottom 12mm is a *PAIN* to get off, as the new hose loops over the top of it. This took a lot longer than I thought it would.

The only thing I need to replace now are the valve cover gaskets, and the truck will finally be leak free.

Gizmo42
07/20/2014, 11:22 PM
I would much rather fix your leak then the one I had. Here is what needs to be done to replace a leaking steering rack on a Rodeo. 12 hours over 2 days (stupid rain).

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Rodeo%20blackout/Lifted/10421545_10152483584695202_3261106323142154265_n.j pg

eternal21
07/20/2014, 11:28 PM
I would much rather fix your leak then the one I had. Here is what needs to be done to replace a leaking steering rack on a Rodeo. 12 hours over 2 days (stupid rain).

Damn, man, that's a mess. It took me about the same amount of time to track down and fix my mess, as well. But, I didn't have to tear all *that* apart. I was worried that I had a jacked up rack, as well; suffice it to say I felt quite a bit of relief when I determined it was just a hose.

Gizmo42
07/21/2014, 12:12 AM
Lucky for you VXs dont have R&P steering. They have a good old steering box. Should be MUCH easier to replace if ever needed.

BigSwede
07/21/2014, 03:06 PM
Well I'm about to find out...got sick of the free play in my steering box and ordered a reman from Rockauto today.

eternal21
07/21/2014, 09:00 PM
Well I'm about to find out...got sick of the free play in my steering box and ordered a reman from Rockauto today.

Did you already try to tighten it? I did this, too, and it has helped to clean up some of the slop. I'm making incremental adjustments to get it where I like it.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5774

BigSwede
07/22/2014, 07:04 AM
Yeah I messed around with that some, but never was satisfied. I'm just going to replace it and be done with it.

ScottinMA
03/25/2015, 06:41 AM
Can anyone tell me whether to use Power steering fluid or ATF in my, about to be replaced, steering gear (that I just purchased from RockAuto..great customer service there)?

rowhard
03/25/2015, 07:58 AM
I'm replacing this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-80368-Steering-Pressure-Hose/dp/B001NYMEB0/

so, did this hose work? and is this the one that always leaks?? don`t know what you paid for it, but Amazon has it on sale right now for $39.70, list for $129.34. :)

tom4bren
03/25/2015, 08:13 AM
Can anyone tell me whether to use Power steering fluid or ATF in my, about to be replaced, steering gear (that I just purchased from RockAuto..great customer service there)?

Scott,

The shop manual on page 0B-4 says 'power steering fluid' but on page 0B-7 says DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. I'm guessing you should go with ATF.

Tom

ScottinMA
03/26/2015, 05:31 AM
Thanks Tom, I saw that conflict as well and wondered whether there was a definitive answer to this. As someone wrote, I know my mechanic topped it off with power steering fluid and following that the leak really got worse. Don't know whether it's just coincidence or the OEM fluid is ATF and putting the PS fluid makes it worse. I just want to do this right when I change out the steering gear.

eternal21
03/26/2015, 01:14 PM
so, did this hose work? and is this the one that always leaks?? don`t know what you paid for it, but Amazon has it on sale right now for $39.70, list for $129.34. :)

I paid $37.65 for it on eBay, and yes, it resolved my issue.

tom4bren
03/26/2015, 02:59 PM
My son is a mechanic & he said to use the DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. From what I understand, the fluids are essentially the same but the ATF may have some harsher detergents in it. It could actually make the leak worse.

I'd probably schlep some LUCAS in it for a while to see if that helps with the leak. I've run it before without any problems (not in the VX though).

Triathlete
03/26/2015, 03:10 PM
The Lucas will slow it down but not stop it. I need to replace my hose also. The start to leak at the fitting. I may just do both while I'm at it so I don't have to mass with it for a long time.

eternal21
03/27/2015, 08:50 PM
I'd probably schlep some LUCAS in it for a while to see if that helps with the leak. I've run it before without any problems (not in the VX though).

That was the first thing I tried. As you can see, it didn't quite work out :)