PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Please help!

Leah
11/21/2003, 01:34 PM
I am leaving for a trip on Sunday. I took the VX in for a rotate and balance only to discover the lug nut key is gone! The last place that had the tires off said they don't have the key, they searched high and low...which I doubt...probably forgot I called as soon as they hung up. I have Scorpion Tires but I believe the rims are stock. What can I do? If I blow a tire, I can't fix it without that key. Please, someone have an answer.

SPAZZ
11/21/2003, 01:40 PM
either go to a dealer and purchase a wheel lock cut off tool, order a new one too, and/or go on your trip and hope nothing happens......might order two of them just in case this ever happens agin

Leah
11/21/2003, 01:42 PM
Wow! Thanks. I didn't know there was such a thing as a cut off tool. Bummer. I wish I could find that thing.

Triathlete
11/21/2003, 01:50 PM
If you take it to pretty much any reputable tire shop they should be able to remove the locking lug. Then you just need to buy new locks. And if all else fails:smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: get a bigger hammer!

Leah
11/21/2003, 01:53 PM
LOL Thanks Triathelete. I'll invest in a sledge hammer. :)

Dallas4u
11/21/2003, 02:00 PM
I had the same problem. I bought my VX, no key to the wheels. I had a flat, which didn't totally flatten until in my driveway, so at least it was at my home. I drove to the dealer, but they couldn't get me anything for a few days. So, I went to AutoZone, bought 4 sockets that were a little too small for the lock nuts, hammered them onto the nuts, and cranked them off the wheel.

It worked as a one time resolution.

Dylan19
11/21/2003, 02:50 PM
Any reputable tire shop can take your wheel locks off. I have dropped my VX off at the shop several times without the key and they have still completed the work. (They use a socket with rubber fingers in it that push their way into the the lock pattern and twist it off. Much easier with an impact wrench.) In fact I was on my way out of town for a trip and realised that I did not have my key and simply had my locks taken off at a tire shop and drove with 5 instead of 6. (I realise the potential risk and hazard in doing this... but I torqued my remaining nuts at each stop and bought new nuts without the lock.. no one steals wheels in my part of Utah, they just slash your tires) Point to be made is that this should be real easy to get done ;Dr; ;Dr;

deermagnet
11/21/2003, 02:58 PM
Leah, that's the reason why I got four stock lug nuts to replace my wheel locks. I have the polished aluminum wheels, so I have no worries about them being stolen. Even if you use the locks, it's a good idea to get four stock nuts from your dealer for $25. That way, when you get service needing wheel removal, you replace the locks until you get your VX back. Service people can easily break the key or locks with their air guns. They're also known for losing the key. Replace the locks when you go in for service and you have no worries. :)

Mark

Apostle
11/21/2003, 03:30 PM
one thing that works in a pinch, vice grips, but its a pain, not sure if there is enough inset in the lugs for it to fit, but should be

Andrey
11/21/2003, 03:48 PM
Leah,

Buy a $2 or so FIX-A-FLAT solution...... it is a piece of mind thing just in case you have a flat.

Look in your manual papers maybe you still have a piece of paper (like a mail in card) with a number of your key. It can be ordered via mail. The thing is you have to know the original number for your lock.

hope this helps

Leah
11/22/2003, 05:14 PM
Wow! Thank you very much. I will check for that card. I think I do still have that because the original owner kept everything. What a great idea. Thank you all for your quick help.