PDA

View Full Version : RIP VX engine :(

angeno
07/02/2014, 11:13 AM
Well, after limping along for about a year, the inevitable happened yesterday and my VX's engine has apparently shot craps. Started out with MUCHO oil consumption, running hot, occasional puffs of ugly grey smoke. Yesterday, we transitioned to full time overheating (despite oil topped off), LOTS of grey smoke, and the engine laboring and finally refusing to move the VX forward.

I suspect bad rings or possibly a shot head gasket. We're going to do a post mortem early next week and I'll let you folks know for sure. In the meantime, assuming worst case scenario, I have begun looking into remanufactured 3.5L engines -- since this appears to be the most expeditious means to return my truck to happy healthy duty.

I've found several options but would welcome the informed opinion of anyone in the group who may have gone thru this themselves with their own VX. I already have learned enough to make sure that the rebuilt engine is equipped with extra holes drilled for appropriate oil flow. And while the engine is out I'll probably fix/replace any accessory items that are readily available for R&Ring. Aside from that, any suggestions would be welcome.

Hoping to have this all handled within the next 2 to 3 weeks, if possible. Guess we'll see.....

:(

vt_maverick
07/02/2014, 11:40 AM
Were you checking the coolant in the radiator to determine the level and whether any oil was present, or did you just check the oil?

Y33TREKker
07/02/2014, 12:02 PM
Were you checking the coolant in the radiator to determine the level and whether any oil was present, or did you just check the oil?
X2. Grey smoke points more to coolant burning off. It would be blue smoke if it was mainly oil burning. The overheating would also be most quickly related to coolant loss. Maybe/hopefully just a head gasket?

evillecutter
07/02/2014, 01:32 PM
if i ever had to replace the 3.5l i would not do it with another 3.5l - they seem to have the oil burn problem WAY worse than the 3.2l engines - and you dont get much more torque or hp out of the 3.5l compared to the 3.2l anyways - probably cheaper and more readily available as well

tom4bren
07/02/2014, 03:09 PM
if i ever had to replace the 3.5l i would not do it with another 3.5l - they seem to have the oil burn problem WAY worse than the 3.2l engines - and you dont get much more torque or hp out of the 3.5l compared to the 3.2l anyways - probably cheaper and more readily available as well

My 3.2 burns way more than my 3.5 (statistical sample of one).:)

eternal21
07/02/2014, 05:07 PM
Upgrade to a 5MT while you're in there :D

I hope everything goes well.

Cobrajet
07/03/2014, 04:56 AM
Stuff a HEMI under that hood! :)

Buffy
07/03/2014, 07:44 AM
I'd stuff a diesel 5 speed in that puppy! Wish I had of done that to mine when I rebuilt the 3.5.

bartmanS4
07/03/2014, 09:59 AM
Where would you source the diesel from Buffy?

VXCanada
07/03/2014, 12:03 PM
If I were to do a diesel conversion I'd use the 4JB1-T 2.8L engine. Its more reliable and has less issues than any of the subsequent engines (3.1 and 3.0L). Note you'd have to go with the transmission swap for this as well. and you'd very likely lose TOD.

It was available in Troopers (Bighorns) and Rodeos outside of north america.

T.

ZeroSix
07/03/2014, 12:10 PM
Just a thought: was there not a member in the forum who imported a crate engine from overseas? It was from isuzu and manufactured in the last 5 years. Solved all the problems too... hmmm

angeno
07/03/2014, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys, for all the informative feedback and suggestions. Today we ran a compression test and several other tests. Bottom line, the engine is shot. Gonna need a new one. I'm told that I will need a long block motor (all belts, guides etc.). Found a cost effective one online: http://www.123engine.com/isuzu1.php

Look like a good option to you folks?

Cobrajet
07/04/2014, 05:02 AM
Found a cost effective one online: http://www.123engine.com/isuzu1.php

Look like a good option to you folks?
One member had a nightmare with 123engine.com (do a search and you will find several threads.) May have been a fluke, but you might want to search for more information. I've got a rebuilt Jasper engine in my Mustang GT, going on 15 years. I've heard they offer Isuzu long blocks.

Buffy
07/04/2014, 05:12 AM
Where would you source the diesel from Buffy?

There are several members on PlanetIsuzoo.com who import them. I would go with the 2.8 mechanical version since no computers are involved. I've always wanted a diesel VX. I know they had diesel Troopers overseas so it should be fairly simple to convert. You would probably have to have new drive shafts made though.

angeno
07/04/2014, 02:41 PM
One member had a nightmare with 123engine.com (do a search and you will find several threads.) May have been a fluke, but you might want to search for more information. I've got a rebuilt Jasper engine in my Mustang GT, going on 15 years. I've heard they offer Isuzu long blocks.

Good to know. I have heard of Jasper engines, but understand they are HYPER retail $$$$$ !!!

tomdietrying
07/04/2014, 03:09 PM
Have you considered an Isuzu Axiom engine? I know of one person on the board that did this. I would search it. I think he was very happy with it.
Peace.
Tom

vt_maverick
07/04/2014, 05:25 PM
+1 on Jasper, my Dad's garage swears by them. I keep meaning to ask him to pull the datasheet on their 3.5 Isuzu...

angeno
07/04/2014, 07:25 PM
I'd be happy with an Axiom, Trooper, Rodeo or any other "easy fit" option. Just don't want something either unreliable (e.g. a used 3.5L) or difficult to wrestle in (e.g. a diesel). My goal is to bite the bullet, get my VX 100% operational again and turn the page. :)

circmand
07/07/2014, 02:27 PM
Just make sure you follow the rules and replace everything they require or the warranty is invalid. They replaced 3 motors in a company rig for us.

evillecutter
07/09/2014, 11:07 AM
jasper engines are about 15 minutes from my house - ive never bought anything or had any work done there, but i think they are pretty high end - you will probably get good stuff put together correctly, but from what ive heard you will pay for it

IndianaVX
09/10/2014, 05:51 PM
Just a follow thru on this thread. I just replaced my engine with a remanufactured long block from gearhead motors. Everything went great as far as ordering, service, ect. I ordered it late on a Friday and received the block on the following Monday morning!
Installed the engine, called to send the block core back to them at lunch time, they said they would pick it up later that day, or the next for sure. Warranty is Three years and (I think) unlimited miles, I just can't recall right now. Anyway, I was/am very happy with what I got from them, but I have only put 80 miles on the engine so far.