PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much miles?

Dekthai
06/25/2014, 07:27 PM
Hello All,

I have been doing some research on Isuzu VX, and I finally convinced myself to buy one.

My question is, how many miles is too much for VX? There are some potential deals around my area but the vehicles are 100K+ miles.

My apology if this question had been asked in the past, please feel free to link the thread URL, and I shall read it myself.

PK
06/25/2014, 08:39 PM
It mainly depends on how well the vehicle has been maintained.
We had one member get to 280k on his original motor, transmission, and diffs, before he had the dreaded engine knock due to low oil level.

Others have had engines and transmissions fail a lot earlier.

Provided there is evidence of good maintenance and everything works, and the price reflects the mileage, I would buy with confidence up to 150k.

PK

Dekthai
06/25/2014, 08:49 PM
PK,

Thanks for the reply, there is one VX with 153,xxx up for sale here in my town. It is his current daily so mileage is expected to go up.

The seller stated the vehicle is running like champ with no issue. interior seems like it is in good condition.

If you were given an opportunity to purchase for 5k USD, will you go for it?

nocturnalVX
06/25/2014, 09:02 PM
But have the VX checked out by a decent mechanic to see if the mechanicals are in good shape. As said before... it is a matter of maintenance. My 2001 is creeping up on 140k, and is still in real good shape (especially being in Chicago it's entire life). Good luck!

VX KAT
06/25/2014, 10:45 PM
Several of us put together a detailed questionnaire to help prospective buyers get key information, specific to the VX and some of its quirks.
Here's a link to it:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=252124&postcount=24

It's truly a very special vehicle! Good luck to you! :thumbup:

tom4bren
06/26/2014, 05:21 AM
Yah, what they all said.

I'd rather a well maintained but higher mileage vehicle than a low mileage but abused vehicle.

Last year I bought a 99 Amigo with 150K+ miles on it & other than a bit of oil consumption, it's cherry. I fully expect to still be running it at 1/4 million miles.

WormGod
06/26/2014, 07:08 AM
How much would you be willing to pay for a '01 that is garage kept, supercharged, and only driven on Sundays.... with 65k miles? ;)

I'm thinking if your answer is less than $20k, it will stay in my collection. (that's how much a keeper means to most of us, heh)

All good advice here though. Just have it checked THOROUGHLY before cutting that check. These things are finicky.

rowhard
06/26/2014, 08:34 AM
like everyone has said, it all depends. use the checklist that Sue mentioned. be mechanically minded or bring a friend that is. familiarize yourself with the timed maintenance items and have them show receipts for the work, whether they did it themselves or not. IF you have to pay for the work it in the first few months, you won't enjoy it.

most of all, find one and enjoy the VX addiction:_steering

Dekthai
06/26/2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks to you all for the replies.

VX KAT, I also did see that link under classified section as well, very informative, I will definitely follow up with those questions.

I am not familiar Isuzu Vehicross engine compared to other off-road SUVs. I know that Land Cruiser can last up to 400K easily (given the engine was proper maintenance).

I don't want buy the Isuzu and ended up like the Landrover Discovery...

Y33TREKker
06/26/2014, 09:46 AM
Running a Carfax or equivalent on any specific VX's in your area would help you determine a past history of each one, and once you have the last four digits of the VIN#'s, you could then run a similar search here to research past ownership and get a better idea of the diligence the owner(s) had for maintaining each VX.

VX market price/value is a tricky subject. About the most consistent advice you'll find from VX owners here is to buy low and sell high. ;)

gletom
06/26/2014, 09:54 AM
I bought my 2001 proton for 8,500$ with 71k from dealer in Fl. Paid Auto Check to inspect. I have had a perfect VX for 2 years. Paying for up grades $2,000.

Dekthai
06/26/2014, 09:57 AM
Y33,

Thank you, great advice.

Mile High VX
06/26/2014, 10:12 AM
PK,

Thanks for the reply, there is one VX with 153,xxx up for sale here in my town. It is his current daily so mileage is expected to go up.

The seller stated the vehicle is running like champ with no issue. interior seems like it is in good condition.

That is less than any of the higher mileage VXs on AutoTrader, even the Private Seller ones.

eternal21
06/26/2014, 02:24 PM
I think that's kinda high priced. I had a s/c'ed 2001 Kaiser w/low miles (99k) w/all records that I couldn't GIVE away a few months ago (I was asking $10,500 for it). I ended up parting the s/c'er from the truck, and selling them separately. The VX sold for $6800.

twalker920
07/03/2014, 06:52 PM
Hey Dekthai, my 1999 VX has 156,000 on the clock, but it was never adjusted for the oversize tires, so I estimate it actually has more like 175,000 miles on it. It's one of my daily drivers. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't any major repairs, partly because I check stuff out on this forum as soon as I hear a funny noise or something, and there's always someone who has already dealt with the problem. I had the transmission inspected when I got it and they said it was in amazing shape (and the fluid was new but I didn't know that so it was newer afterwards lol).

All the other folks above are right about getting it checked out though...mine isn't pristine or showroom pretty, but it's tough as nails and I love the uniqueness. Especially when I'm with my VX friends so we can all be unique together ;-)

gletom
07/05/2014, 07:14 AM
When I bought my Proton in 2012 I would only buy a proton.To me most of the other colors were too generic and I would not purchased them no matter the price. Auto check gives a quality report with 50 photos. It had an entertainment center with a 10 inch screen and back-up camera. Tires were new,optima battery,dark tint and spent its life in FL. I would have paid more if I had to.It turned out in two years I have no problems. The Trans had been re-done at 69k. My wife and I took a train to Ft.Lauderdale and a salesman from Phil Smith Kia picked it up and we drove back home .A perfect experience all the way.

Mile High VX
07/05/2014, 08:59 AM
Bought mine with 69K on the clock. I'm the 4th owner and all previous owners have been forum members and its a CO vehicle since new.

I'm sitting at 113K now and it's a gem...like has already been said if your VX of choice is higher mileage, but well maintained it should last and last...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
07/13/2014, 08:56 PM
PK,

Pretty sure as of yesterday (july 12) i'm now the new owner of this vehicle. And im absolutely in love with it. Ebony Black, 2001, Black/Grey interior, Grill guard and roof rack

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
07/13/2014, 08:58 PM
I was looking at another VX in Houston forsale but the owner/seller hadnt responded to my emails and failed to put a contact phone number.