PDA

View Full Version : Rear bucket seats?

HeckaTrebeka
06/23/2014, 09:56 PM
Since selling my rear bench seat, I'm finding that it's a little inconvenient to only have a two-seater... especially now that I have a kid. I still don't want to have a big ol bench seat taking up more than half the cargo space in the back, so I'm getting more interested in making rear bucket seats. What I'm thinking of are two 16 in wide bucket seats, the bottoms of which fold out to the back of the front seats, allowing the backs of the rear seats to fold nearly flush with the floor, at a slight incline. The middle gap would be around 8 inches, so that should allow storage space, an arm rest, and a cover for the rear seat belt buckles which are bolted in their original places.

Tomorrow morning I'll take a picture and try to superimpose the seat idea. For now, I want to know what you're thoughts are on this. Would you rather have smaller bucket seats that allow for more room as well as seating for four? Or is the bench seat a better option, in your opinion?

FlyingV77
06/24/2014, 04:37 AM
ive thought about this before. i was thinking about using a set of front seats for the back

tom4bren
06/24/2014, 06:39 AM
... especially now that I have a kid.

KISS (Keep It Simple - Stupid) is my motto. Mebbe you should just bolt the baby seat to the floor & call it done.

ive thought about this before. i was thinking about using a set of front seats for the back

That'll require a LOT of modification to the seats you install. The floor board rise in the rear seat area will make the seats sit way too high without some serious modifications.

HeckaTrebeka
06/24/2014, 09:30 AM
KISS (Keep It Simple - Stupid) is my motto. Mebbe you should just bolt the baby seat to the floor & call it done.

That's what I've been telling my wife, but she doesn't seem to share the same genius mind that we do.

I took pictures this morning and will be crudely drawing over them to illustrate my idea.

HeckaTrebeka
06/24/2014, 09:32 AM

I agree with tom. I don't think front seats in the back would be easy to do, however, I do like the idea of the rear seats being able to lean back.

JAMAS
06/24/2014, 10:15 AM
I had the same problem. Needed a car seat, but didnt want to lose cargo space.

so I made a cargo box for the back and a split cargo board that went over the seats. I can put one or both seats up or down and leave the cargo area next to it.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMAG1173.jpg

HeckaTrebeka
06/24/2014, 11:48 AM
I like your setup, Jamas. Now I don't know what to do.

JAMAS
06/24/2014, 12:55 PM
I like your setup, Jamas. Now I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

It has proved amazingly useful.

I keep it in the setup that you see in the picture the majority if the time, but if I need to carry more passengers, I just remove the boards and add the head rests back (stored in the top of the rear cargo boxes)

If I am going somewhere, like Moab, I will remove the car seat and add the other cargo board and then I have more flat room than you would if you remove the seat all together because the boards go across the foot well.