PDA

View Full Version : Half Shaft replacement

Vinnybin
06/07/2014, 03:59 PM
Ill delete this thread after I get a quick answer since there is so much on this already.
After reading most of the CV axle problems I am just more confused then ever. I accidentally bought 3 axles from sure track. One without the green cup and both sides with it. The one without was when I was not going to replace the green cup and the other two were back ups.
The sound is clicking when power is applied. Lots of loud clicking and I don't think one or both my from wheels are turning anymore. Pretty sure its the driver side. This means that I am replacing the green cup because of the grooves that were made. Is this correct? The drivers green cup is scorned and wavy. I can see from the outside where is been worn in and gotten real hot. I have the entire shaft assembled and ready to go in. How do I get this thing apart? A quick list should get me on the right track or referral to a link with what I need to do would be very helpful.

VXorado
06/08/2014, 08:20 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=49

In a nutshell: pull the front tires, hubs, lower ball joint, halfshafts, front crossmember, driveshaft, drop the diff, pull the old jack shafts and reverse steps for install. One thing to note is the steering linkage does not have to be pulled for the diff drop, contrary to what the guide instructs.

I dropped the diff last week and it took a three hours just to drop it (not reinstall). Give yourself plenty of time, it's a long process.

Vinnybin
06/08/2014, 06:15 PM
As power is a applied the chatter gets worse. Was reading Tony's thread and at one point he was just gonna try the half shaft green cup to hub. So I tried it and it worked. I had some very slight wear in the green cup and I couldnt figure out how to get the joint by the hub apart so I just put the new one in as a shot in the dark. Lucky me.