PDA

View Full Version : Screw NAPA, it is a scam!

Marlin
05/14/2014, 12:55 PM
Took the truck to NAPA to see about getting a new vacuum booster and master cylinder. Autozone lists the master at 109 for a reman. The booster is 184.
300ish bucks for parts.
Napa online lists it for really close to that.

The store front wanted to charge me almost double that just for the parts! WTF? I asked why the difference, he said, this is what napa shows me for the parts and showed me the screen showing a huge cost difference. I showed him the NAPA online store prices, he stared at me, I stared at him and he said he can only install napa parts. I said order direct from NAPA, he said no,he will only order from his NAPA parts site...lol. It is a huge scam, explained how it came with a 36000 miles warranty. Guess what, Autozone does forever warranties.

I will never set foot in a NAPA store again. Good news, it was only 250 to install....if I get the parts from him, which is the only way they will do it.

Triathlete
05/14/2014, 01:45 PM
I usually go to BAP. They are the best I have found around here. Think I paid around $140 for my booster. They had a more expensive one and the guy told me he thought thequality of the less expensive one was better instead of trying to make the extra bucks. Booster is pretty easy to change...and with the master cylinder off it would be even easier.

eternal21
05/14/2014, 01:52 PM
I've been in NAPA once....out of desperation. Autozone gets most of my business if I need something immediately. If not, I usually search online.

Marlin
05/14/2014, 05:20 PM
Went ahead and ordered the pair, ot the new master since it came with reservoir and no core charge.
I think my brake woes are from the master cylinder! When I first put the new brake lines on 4 years ago,the front was pinched and the wife lost all brakes when the line ruptured. Luckily she was in a parking lot and dumped it in the culvert and I drove it home in first gear using the e brake! After reading the tech manual today, the proportioning valve is suppose to bypass the failed side and provide front/rear as applicable to allow the vehicle to stop. The truck had no brakes whatsoever! I wonder if that means I have very poor braking in the rear due to a failed secondary piston seal or a leak between the two! That would mean for the last 6 years, I have used front brakes only, which explains the serious nose dive when i brake and worn brake pads! I am stoked about swapping these out, hopefully this weekend if the parts show up, and I will update a new thread appropriately.