PDA

View Full Version : Surtrack Axles...warning !!!!!

JoFotoz
05/13/2014, 01:50 PM
DO NOT USE OFF ROAD!!!

Second run up this same steep/sandy cut...

.... end of axle sheared off.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/AXLE_SNAP_.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24748)

Looking at the broken stub...the quality of metal is TERRIBLE.

VERY porous / crystalline.

Given that the axle broke BEFORE the Superwinch hub did...
...its OBVIOUSLY not very strong!

So... I'd say these are GREAT for normal road use...
....but NOT for off road.

Cheers

Jo

Marlin
05/13/2014, 02:05 PM
I am gonna guess that any other than OEM axle is not a great idea for offroad use, especially with a front locker.
Your description matches mine exactly, and they weren't suretrak. The amigo with us had different after market CVs, same EXACT failure point. You could have swapped the broken pieces between the two trucks and they fit perfect. Crystalline, grainy appearance at the break.

newthings
05/13/2014, 02:35 PM
Crystalline, grainy appearance implies a casting not a forging. A forging would stretch and flow the metal grains into the final shape and break up the concentration of grain boundary impurities into fine particles with an even distribution.
Roy

JoFotoz
05/13/2014, 04:07 PM
Yes..as you say...
It looks like its a cast piece.

jo

Triathlete
05/13/2014, 05:40 PM
Well that is disappointing news :(

eternal21
05/14/2014, 08:22 AM
Can you get some pics when you have time, Jo? There are some of us that would be keen to see the carnage of the break.

JoFotoz
05/14/2014, 11:01 AM
Yup..at some point..
..when shennanigans dont prevail!

Its sheared about 2 inches from end.

Looks like a dog chew treat!!

Case hardened outside.. "pumice/granular" like nasty casting inside.

I'm sure these are FINE for road VX's...

...but not for rock work!

Jo

Marlin
05/14/2014, 05:45 PM
Had to dig through Planet archives to find this one, 4+ years ago! This is my broken bit next the amigo broken bit. Different after market brands, same failure in the same fashion. I was creepy crawling up a ledge, no spinning tires and "BINK", I knew instantly what it was. Unfortunately it blew the guts out of the superwinch hub:( Superwinch sent me two brand new ones after I sent them back the broken one:) Looks like the failure point was just inside where the CV joint comes out of the actual hub assembly. Looks like it wanted to twist with the torque and the cast garbage just failed with a twisting shear.
This is why I stockpile OEM CVs. I have a few sets in the shed, some from VXs some from troopers. Just swap the ball/cage assembly to the trooper CV and it works on the VX:)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/broken_cv_joint.JPG

Marlin
05/14/2014, 05:59 PM
FWIW, I am not the one wearing sissy gloves:) I have permanently grease stained fingers, only time I wear gloves is while messing with gear oil, that stuff stinks for a LONG time.

rowhard
05/14/2014, 07:14 PM
Just swap the ball/cage assembly to the trooper CV and it works on the VX:)

hey Chris, ever get a chance, maybe take a photo or a drawing for us that aren't real familiar with this.

So how close to retirement are you?

Marlin
05/16/2014, 09:50 AM
I am heading to my last tour soon, 3 more years until I retire!
As for the ball and cage:
If you look at the end of a CV joint, you can see the ball bearings. Those are held in place by a cage. That assembly is held together by a c-clip. The "balls" on the trooper assembly are a different size, as their green cup is a bit different than ours. If you swap the cage and balls from a VX assembly onto a trooper shaft, it works just fine. I haven't had a failure of balls and cage portion of the CV, but I have also never broken an OEM CV joint shaft. We figured this all out sitting in the rain going through boxes of CV joints trying to fix the one that broken as pictured. Voila, we determined there were different sized ball and cage assemblies on the same size shafts.

eternal21
05/16/2014, 12:36 PM
This is why I stockpile OEM CVs. I have a few sets in the shed, some from VXs some from troopers. Just swap the ball/cage assembly to the trooper CV and it works on the VX:)

You wouldn't be so inclined as to part w/a Trooper set, would you? I have a buddy who picked up a Trooper about 2 months ago, and an axle sheared on him last week. He found out they're aftermarkets, and is looking for a set of OEMs after I showed him this thread, which was right after he bought some Surtracks.

Marlin
05/16/2014, 01:10 PM
You should be able to pick up a set at any yard. I really don't like giving up consumable mechanical parts as they are getting harder to come by as time goes on.

Triathlete
05/18/2014, 02:26 PM
Jo, do you know if the balls/cages from the surtracks will transfer to the OEM shafts?

JoFotoz
05/19/2014, 12:58 PM
YUP....

This is my broken bit next the amigo broken bit. Looks like it wanted to twist with the torque and the cast garbage just failed with a twisting shear.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/broken_cv_joint.JPG

....my bust Surtrack looks exactly like the ones you show.

The fact that mine sheared BEFORE the superwinch failed ...
.... points to very poor off road capabilities.

I do however think Surtrack axles are FINE for road use... ONLY!!

jo

PK
05/20/2014, 03:57 PM
Jo, you did a lot of research before listing these, and we all thought they were going to be great.
Is it worth sending the broken bits back to Surtrack and see what they say??

Worst would be they ignore it, but they just might be able to determine the cause of failure and do something about it.

I just don't like giving up on a potentially good supplier without a try.

PK

JoFotoz
05/20/2014, 06:42 PM
I have the "bit" and will send to Surtrack...

..... as soon as I get caught up on real life stuff!

For people that are using these ON ROAD..
...I think they are fine.
So lets not panic on that application.

However..off road... NOT RECOMMENDED.. at all!

Jo

disasterlady
06/28/2014, 09:16 PM
Jo... did you ever get these Surtracks refunded?

ANYONE: is there any other alternatives that anyone knows about? I had one CV boot tear completetly open to the bearings and another is cracking already. The torn one lasted 5 years and the other only 3 years... they were from NAPA. i've been told that getting the entire CV Boots /axle will be better, but after listening to you guys, I'm not sure?
thanks... Julie

JoFotoz
06/29/2014, 10:41 AM
I dont expect a refund.....

Jo... did you ever get these Surtracks refunded?

Kind of tough to ask for a refund when I broke it Off Roading!!

However..if you are using your VX for road use, with some 'light'..
..dirt road off roading, IMO the Surtrack axles are fine.

Just dont expect them to stand up to severe off road abuse.

Jo

MSHardeman
06/30/2014, 09:09 AM
I agree with Jo. If you are using the Sure Tracks for mostly on-road use with some light off-roading you should be just fine. I installed the Sure Track half shafts a few weeks before Moab this year and they are still going strong. The axles did fine on the highway out to Moab and did just great on the one trail that I did. It was an easy trail, mind you, but did get to push them a little bit with no issues. I am also running stock rims with slightly larger than stock tires so I don't have the rolling mass that Jo has on the ORW. It also seems that Jo's right foot is much heavier than mine (which may have helped to contribute to the axle failure).

JAMAS
06/30/2014, 12:27 PM
It also seems that Jo's right foot is much heavier than mine (which may have helped to contribute to the axle failure).

I watched the video of this and saw the pictures..... I would agree with this statement 100%.

...but also appreciate the warning....

JoFotoz
06/30/2014, 03:35 PM
How dare you.....

It also seems that Jo's right foot is much heavier than mine (which may have helped to contribute to the axle failure).

..print such utter truth :p

Yea, I do like the skinny peddle...
...and I dont shy away from the tough stuff :_steering

Jo