PDA

View Full Version : OT - Plasma Displays

VXMAN
11/20/2003, 10:16 AM
I'm looking at getting a 42" or 46" Plasma screen. I've been reading alot about the pros & cons, but I was wondering who in here, already has one? Any really good deals to be had right now? Any model / manufactures you would recomend to look at or stay away from? I have Sat. TV, DVD, VCR for input devices. I will not run my pc through it!

Thanks for any advice.

:D
Dave...

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 10:55 AM
I don't have one, but after bugging my wife about it, she decided it would be wiser to actually purchase a 42" or so plasma (be it that we can keep it around $2500) than to purchase an HD or ED TV (32" to 36") AND an entertainment center. We can't find a nice entertainment center that we like for under $2000 it seems. If we do, then it's usually a floor model, and it's gone by the time we go back for it.

Anyway, I know it doesn't answer your question. As for models, it seems it is usually better to stay with models made in Japan (Panasonic) rather than Taiwan or Korea. From what I understand, though, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Phillips, and Hitachi make good quality plasma products. I won't get into specifics, but people also say EDTV is better than "HDTV" overall, so far anyway. Go to the AVS Forums (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=40) and read up a bit as they have a LOT of great info there.

tiggergreen
11/20/2003, 10:56 AM
Make sure you buy one that is HDTV ready and not just enhanced definition. If you are going to spend that much money, you might as well be ready for all the High-definition programming.

Make sure you find one that has high lumens and has a decent field of vision.

If you can, watch Star Wars I or II on each display to compare the picture.

Brent

WormGod
11/20/2003, 01:58 PM
A good buddy of mine bought one and had to replace it after a year. He was told by Philips that if you watch tv a LOT or play video games, a plasma is NOT the way to go. Plasma screens run VERY hot and wear down over time, especially with video games which present a wider array of color and stills than normal tv viewing. Apparently, plasma wears out about 400 times faster than a projection tv. After hearing this, and knowing I play a LOT of video games, I decided to go with a Mitsubishi 48" widescreen HDTV. I wanted a plasma but the warning changed my decision.

Once again, I can't say if this is true since it wasnt my plasma, but I trust his word on it. Shop around a LOT and ask as many questions as possible before buying though. There are some great websites out there that offer a LOT of info on making the right decision.

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 02:14 PM
I would advise ANYONE looking for a plasma TV (or any other TV for that matter) to go to the AVS Forum (I listed above) and do a bit of research.

When it comes to burn in and the actual life of plasma TVs, no one really knows for sure. Many things have been said about "refilling" plasma TVs, which is totally false. People wonder about how long plasma TVs last, and many have stated they have seen some from 1995, being run 24hrs a day in banks and what not, just now being replaced because they stopped working. I saw a post, taking into account the average life in hours stated from almost every manufacturer of plasma TVs, which came out to about 22.5 thousand hours, running at very high contrast. Given that, on average, most families watch about 5-6 hours of TV every night, that comes out to around 10 years (6 hours a day). That's not to say EVERY SINGLE plasma TV will last that long, but not every single CRT will either. All I know is, for me, I usually don't keep old technology for 10 years or more... it just depends on what it is. Computer parts for me last maybe a year, but my VCR has lasted 6 years!

There are also a few things you can do to extend the TVs life, like turning it off when not using it, adjusting the brightness and contrast, keeping it in an area where it can get good airflow (don't stuff it in a box and use it for some reason) and there are others.

As for playing games and what not on your TV, or watching a lot of TV and "messing" the TV up somehow, I think there are a lot of misconceptions. Most plasmas, if not all, show at least 16.7 million colors these days... with some newer ones showing a little over 1 billion (per Fujitsu specs). With plasma, you can get a burn in... like on an LCD or CRT, if you leave a still picture up for a period of time, the image "burns" into the screen. The same thing happens on a plasma, only you can sometimes use a grey image, leaving it on the screen, to help "reset" the burn. Also, if you watch movies where the ratio leaves black bars on the top or bottom of the screen for a period of time, those bars can burn in a bit as well. I believe this is usually help with the grey image method. Plus, as with the newer Panasonic plasmas, they have a 4000:1 contrast ratio, which may or may not be good for games on a 42" or above screen... I don't know having never tried it, but I don't play games on my TV anyway as I have an 18" LCD monitor for my computer.

Bantan
11/20/2003, 02:27 PM
I have followed the Plasma Era from day 1, as far as I know Fujitsu was first in the Plasma race and many other companies continue use their internal components. I've found that many manufacturers produce Plasma Displays for Commercial applications while others cater to consumer, user friendly, in home usage applications. Best advice is, do your research as much as possible this should not be an impulsive buy. the price of a plasma alone is mucho expensive, then you factor in accessories such as, Wall mount or table stand, speakers, tuner & extended warranty. Take a look at thisWEBSITE (http://plasmatek.net/) they seem to have competative prices. Amack76 mentioned that he has 1 one and the picture sucks after a few months of usage (maybe he can elaborate more on this). I am waiting until they have finally worked out all the bugs & kinks to truely perfect this technology. I will probably go with a Panasonic or Pioneer. However I recently saw the new sony 50" model with a glass frame, awesome looking completely blew my mind. Sorry for adding to the confusion.
Decisions, decisions!!!

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 03:00 PM
Just to note, Panasonic has been all the rage as of the last month or so since Dell has a sale on their 42" 6UY EDTV unit. This, by itelf, created the debate between EDTV and HDTV. From what I understand, EDTV (on a good unit) can take an HDTV signal and, from 6' back, produce 'almost' HDTV quality. In fact, many believe they couldn't even tell a difference. Plus, EDTV seems to take a standard SD signal better than an HDTV.

Read THIS (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261711) off of the AVS Forum... all an interesting read.

Hotsauce
11/20/2003, 03:46 PM
Plasma is not the best picture out there. LCD is.

I looked long and hard at all the plasma available, and if you must have plasma, buy the Fujitsu.

I went for the new Sony WEGA LCD reap projection, WE610-42", its 14" front to back.

Why LCD over other formats? LCD is low voltage, plasma is high voltage. This voltage leads to dielectric breakdown, and failure. Plasma screens have a brightness half life. Some as short as 4 years. Half life is the time it takes the display to lose half brightness. LCD uses a standard cheap projector bulb.

LCD has a better picture, none of the 'screen door' effect from plasma.

I paid 2350+160 shipping+360 for 5 year warranty. At the end of the warranty, if its unused, half its cost can be used as store credit.

I set out to spend 5k on a nice 42 plasma, but I got better for half that.

John C.

tiggergreen
11/20/2003, 04:47 PM
I read the forum and I still got the impression that you should buy the HDTV over the EDTV. I have a HDTV tuner that pulls amazing pictures over the air. I do not have cable or DTV. I don't like paying monthly for television as I then feel it necessary to recoup my investment by watching too much television.

If you need to save money, then buy the LCD display that John bought. You can even get 65" HDTV Widescreen televisions for under $2K now.

If you are making a long-term purchase, I would highly recommend an HDTV. I don't know if you like the show "Alias," but it is broadcast in high-definition and it looks absolutely wonderful on my 65" widescreen HDTV.

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 05:15 PM
My advice... look at the forums dedicated to audio/video nuts, and visit stores and showrooms to get a good idea of what is available. Ask questions, but take the answers and compare with what others have said as well. A lot of the time you will get biased answers from people who like a specific product or technology more than others, or who have other intentions (need to sell an item), or may lie because they don't know the answer and don't want you to know that.

VXMAN
11/20/2003, 06:01 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice. I have been spending alot of time reading about Plasma's. There is way too much to read on this subject. I know everyone has their own 'twist' on what they may like or dislike and some stick with the same company, no matter what. I for one, am a big Sony fan, but I've read alot of bad things about the Sony Plasma's. I will be viewing as many different models as I can, I was just wondering who in our community, already has one. I would be interested to hear what they bought, compaired it to and why they went with model/brand X. This is one purchase that I will not make, on a rush buy. But, the more you read, the more confusing you can get! I think the best advice is, view as many as possible in-person, then buy what you like.

Dave

Hotsauce
11/20/2003, 06:36 PM
One more thing, plasma screen is very easy to get burn in, lcd is immune from this.

John C.

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 08:46 PM
If you have the money, I'd look at LCD TVs for sure... problem is, they are pretty expensive when compared to plasmas. Again, if you can afford it, then do it. Also, when comparing side by side, just know that a plasma (and possibly other types of flat screens) need to be set up properly to see what they truely look like. Many of the plasmas you see at Best Buy and Circuit City were just thrown up there with a signal... you can get a CD that will help you set it up correctly. Anyway, if they aren't correctly set up, they won't be comparable.

Andrey
11/20/2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
One more thing, plasma screen is very easy to get burn in, lcd is immune from this.

John C.

not true, any fixed pixel device is bound to have burn-in effect. Many Plasma TVs have so called orbiters which shift the picture one or two pixels (if you use it as PC display for static picture). If you plan to use Plasma for viewing of motion pictures then do not be disturbed by burn-in issue. I use NEC50MP1 Plasma for 3 years now. I have two words for you - LOVE IT. LCDs can not come close to plasmas as anybody who is technically inclined will ask first question what is fall and rise time on LCD pixel compared to pixel in Plasma display. The advise to look through the AVS forum is a good advise.

VXMAN
11/21/2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys. Well, I've spent over 3 solid hours reading the AVS forum. And, if you do the same, there is only one conclusion to be had. Look around, buy what YOU like! Everyone has an opinion on one brand vs another. Bottom line I've found is this:

1. Get one that can handle what you want to hook-up to it. Example, if you need DVI, make sure it has a DVI port. If you want a built in tuner, make sure it has it...

2. Get the size that is right, for the room you'll be using it in. Bigger is not always better, in my opinion.

3. Make sure you spend the few extra dollars for a setup cd. Then, take your time and do a complete & proper setup / configuration.

From what I've read, just about ANY plasma is good, if it's setup right. I've even read a Gateway or Sampo can be a nice Plasma, if setup correctly. So, the more I read, the more confusing I get and my list of what sounds good, changes every other minute! I quit writing down the models, I think I'll look at. Another thing that seems to be consistent, most stores (Circuit City, Best Buy...) don't setup the plasmas correctly, so any comparison you make in these stores, don't really count!

Dave...

Dallas4u
11/21/2003, 01:53 PM
Yep! I was trying to tell you about the setup CD above, and also that MANY retail stores like the ones you listed just hang them up on the mounts, plug 'em in, and let them show whatever picture is available. They usually never set them up correctly, so it is near impossible to compare them. Plus, if you have an EDTV and HDTV side by side, how would you even KNOW how the pics compare?

I read on the forums that someone went in to look at plasmas and told the sales consultant to try plugging in an HD signal to an EDTV. The consultant didn't believe it would work, but low and behold, the picture looked almost identical to the HDTV! Now, keep in mind, side by side, both set up properly, both the same size, an EDTV and HDTV, both using the best signal each can accept (which may even be an HD signal on the EDTV), the HDTV set will probably look better... it is made for the HD signal. Both TVs with an analog signal, and the EDTV will probably look better. Either way, HDTV plasma is going to be quite a bit more than an EDTV set. It's up to you as to how you want to spend your money!

As for just about any plasma being good if set up correctly... it may possibly be true, but I would still look at reviews on the models you are looking at, just to make sure it is at least above average. Many reviews (in forums) are usually sparked by someone either extremely liking something, or extremely NOT liking something... you usually don't get the ones in between, so many reviews are somewhat bias... unless it is from a reliable source (magazine, online magazine, review publication). DO look for quality control issues, especially on what seem to be cheaper sets. Again, you can't go wrong with Panasonic, Hitachi, Fujitsu, and a few others. I haven't heard very good things about Sampo's or Akai's, but it may just be from the one or two bad experiences that you do hear anything about them.