PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone diagnose my issue just by hearing it?

rtormet
05/07/2014, 10:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAyxJjyc4s

I purchased my new vehicross a few days ago knowing that it had this engine noise. Got a really good price on it.

Can anyone diagnose the issue? I am hoping that it is just a minor issue with one of the valve springs or something - i havent dug into the engine yet. But if i need to replace it or rebuild it im not too bummed.. just hoping i dont have to.

Thanks,

VXobsession
05/07/2014, 10:27 AM
Does it seem to be driving fine? I'm gonna have my husband watch this vid...he's built a lot of these engines...I'll be back in a few.

JoFotoz
05/07/2014, 10:28 AM
Could be as simple as a shot Serp belt tensioner..
...or even a bent fan blade rubbing.

Hope so..cause thats an easy fix .

Jo

VXobsession
05/07/2014, 10:48 AM
HOPEFULLY it's something else.......BBBUUUUTTTTT

...my professional said it REALLY REALLY sounds like you've got a rod knocking, piston hitting the head...etc. Something of that nature....
Basically, it's broken :(
Somebody obviously didn't give it enough oil to quench it's ravenous thirst....

But like I said, HOPEFULLY it's something else.

rtormet
05/07/2014, 12:31 PM
Does it seem to be driving fine? I'm gonna have my husband watch this vid...he's built a lot of these engines...I'll be back in a few.

I have only driven it around the driveway a little bit. seemed to work fine

If general consensus is that its a rebuild fix ill probably just buy a new long block and then drive this engine till death.

rtormet
05/07/2014, 12:33 PM
HOPEFULLY it's something else.......BBBUUUUTTTTT

...my professional said it REALLY REALLY sounds like you've got a rod knocking, piston hitting the head...etc. Something of that nature....
Basically, it's broken :(
Somebody obviously didn't give it enough oil to quench it's ravenous thirst....

But like I said, HOPEFULLY it's something else.

Ah yea bummer thats what i was thinking it was but wanted to hear someone elses input. Fingers still crossed thats not the case tho! haha Thanks

JoFotoz
05/07/2014, 01:11 PM
Marc may well be right....
And if it is Rod knock / piston hitting head..
..you can isolate to a degree with the old
screw driver stethoscope trick.

BUT.. I do encourage you to check tensioner.
This click has been seen here before...
...and tensioner was the culprit.

I'm assuming click gets faster as you rev?

Jo

rtormet
05/07/2014, 01:33 PM
Marc may well be right....
And if it is Rod knock / piston hitting head..
..you can isolate to a degree with the old
screw driver stethoscope trick.

BUT.. I do encourage you to check tensioner.
This click has been seen here before...
...and tensioner was the culprit.

I'm assuming click gets faster as you rev?

Jo

You assume correctly!
I will definitely check everything i can before diving into taking the engine out. Its not too difficult but id rather avoid it if i can.

Thanks for the tips!

FlyingV77
05/07/2014, 04:42 PM
sounds like a tensioner, just replaced mine last week

Amnesia
05/10/2014, 10:33 AM
An quick and easy way to check to see if it's a rod knocking is to systematically disconnect (unplug the 2 wire connector) one coil pack at a time. Rev it and listen. If there isn't any change, then plug it back in and try the next one. That's how my VX currently sounds and the problem is with cylinder #1.

VehiCrow
05/10/2014, 12:58 PM
I had a similar noise happen to me. Check your coil packs and spark plugs.
Turned out I had a coil boot fail, and spark plug was broken in half. Replaced the coil pack and did a compression test. Runs like a champ now.
Hoping for the best.

VXCanada
05/11/2014, 07:16 PM
I've had a similar sound on another older car before the rod shattered and went through the cylinder block. Was rod knock from a bent rod.

Rod knock in this case is one possibility. Could also be a bent valve and/or broken spring.

Isolate the source of the sound, via stethoscope/screwdriver/etc. If its engine related do a dry and wet compression test. That will tell you if its head or block related. Rebuilding a head is a lot less work than swapping out an engine.

T.