PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Hood Scoop

Medman
11/20/2003, 08:07 AM
Hey there gang,

If anyone is interested, I had purchased a custom made hood scoop from this website: http://www.up22.com/ALLINDEX.htm
model #AT-475. After much deliberation however, I've decided to find somebody to custom coat my hood insert in carbon fiber, so now I have no use for this custom scoop. It is fresh from the factory, ready for painting, comes complete with instructions/hardware. I'm willing to sell the scoop for $130.00 (bought for $180) + cost of shipping. Any takers?

nyc #1 ironman
11/20/2003, 08:42 AM
The web page says they cost 99 bucks? Am I looking at the wrong one?

Medman
11/20/2003, 10:44 AM
Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

1) My scoop was custom designed for the VX's insert, modeled after the number AT-475 design.

2) When I had originally bought the scoop the end price was $180.00. They must be having some sort of sale on their scoops.

Since I'm not making use of the scoop, I'll sell it for the same price as the website $100.00, firm.

Cyrk
11/20/2003, 10:57 AM
do you have any photos of the one you have?

I might be interested if I can see that one you got.

is it as tall as the one on the site, or lower?

-Dave

AlaskaVX
11/20/2003, 11:53 AM
This is just the scoop, without the snorkle base correct? If you set it on the hood insert is it actually flush? If its sitting where it should be does it hinder your view at all? How high is it, 4-1/2"s? All that needs to be done is cut a hole and mount? Can this be used as a reverse scoop? Could you post some pics with it sitting on your hood, both facing foreward and back?
Interested, how much would shipping to 99516 run me?

Medman
11/20/2003, 02:04 PM
Let's see AlaskaVX,

No snorkle.

Yes, it fits flush when mounted.

Yes, it is 4.5 inches high, but does not obstruct your view.

Yes, all you do is cut the hole and mount (instructions included)

What is a reverse scoop?

If shipped to Alaska, it would be around forty dollars (UPS).

I will post pictures this weekend (I do not have a scanner or digital camera)

Thanks for the interest, I'll keep you posted.

AlaskaVX
11/21/2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the update, will wait to see pics

Medman
11/22/2003, 01:29 PM
The pics of the scoop are under the Gallery section. Two are of the scoop itself. Two are what they would look like if it was mounted. Obviously it would have to be painted. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Tone
11/23/2003, 07:31 AM
Well at least you could hide an intercooler in and under that! A bit big for the size of the vehicle....

AlaskaVX
11/24/2003, 05:29 PM
That is a little more then what I thought it was. Someone could make that look good though! Now that I think about it this one would probobally not be the best mod for my type of driving (through water, and lots of snow) I just got an auto start to warm it up, I don't think I need any more cooling then the below 0 temps we have been having. I'm sure someone will want to attempt this!

Swordy
11/25/2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Medman
Hey there gang,

I've decided to find somebody to custom coat my hood insert in carbon fiber, so now I have no use for this custom scoop.

So why not put t the scoop on, and then CF the whole thing??
Wouldn't that be the slick ticket?

VehiSHARK
11/25/2003, 09:14 PM
maybe for a chevy nova. but not smooth enough for VX.:rolleyes:

Swordy
11/25/2003, 09:44 PM
yeah,, I just checke out that site. those scoops would look good on a pro stock, but not on a Vx

VehiSHARK
11/25/2003, 09:50 PM
subaru style scoop for these VXs

Swordy
11/25/2003, 09:50 PM
I've been thinking about putting a small scoop on my hood with a 10" fan mounted underneath it to pull heat out of the engine compartment. I just haven't found the right scoop design yet. I need a good cartoonist to design me an idea.

VehiSHARK
11/25/2003, 09:51 PM
ditch the fan idea seriously

Swordy
11/25/2003, 10:08 PM
The skiplate holds in so much heat that the car always runs at least 10 degrees hotter. At low speeds it builds up to the point that it starts becoming a problem. Its not a matter of do I think it will be cool. It's a matter of Its going to be cooler. My other option is to redesign the skidplate for better airflow. (which actually makes much more sense) Perhaps you are right. I'm going to at least put an aux fan on the radiator though. On hot summer days in the desert crawling with my pokey buds, it still will tend to get hot.

SGT.BATGUANO
11/25/2003, 10:23 PM
If anyone is going to fab a 'glass or CF hood or insert replacement, I've been toying with an idea that would look something like if you were to unbolt the insert, raise either the front or rear of the insert about 2-1/2 inches, fill in the angled openings on the sides and provide a 1 inch lip at the bottom of the scoop to deter the enterance of water and debris. I'll try to post a rough drawing of this later, unless someone else can do it.

Swordy
11/25/2003, 10:31 PM
By all means... lets see what you can come up with.

Triathlete
11/26/2003, 09:13 AM
Zu4TWO has a nice little carbon fiber hood scoop on his VX. Saw it in person at the last get together and it looks quite good!
Zu4TWO'a hood scoop (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2250&highlight=scoop) :thumbup:

WyrreJ
11/26/2003, 07:11 PM
I think he said it did not make a measurable difference in engine temp?

Rickster
11/26/2003, 08:19 PM
I just built another fiberglass hood insert, looks stock, however I took the insert off, and screwed the two top inside nuts upside down, leaving about 4 threads showing on the bottom side, to lift up the center back of the insert, then bolt the rest down, and it is working really good.

I'll post pics Friday.

Rickster

Swordy
11/27/2003, 12:53 AM
Zu42's scoop looks really nice, I think something like that, only fiberglassed in, is more what I had in mind. Very nice dude.

Medman
11/27/2003, 02:42 AM
I really like Zu's hood scoop, and I think the CF one they sell would match the fiber pattern of my insert. But looking at the pictures he posted on the gallery, isn't the air opening supposed to face forward, or is it just the preference of the user?

Triathlete
11/27/2003, 08:30 AM
He is using it as a heat extractor. Facing forward would be more for air intake...or so I believe!

SGT.BATGUANO
11/28/2003, 11:42 AM
Here's my very rough paint image for a fabbed hood or insert

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/149webimage001l8-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/149ii-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/149i-med.jpg

Whadya think?

VehiSHARK
11/28/2003, 11:46 AM
seriously bad photochop

try try try again:)

SGT.BATGUANO
11/28/2003, 11:57 AM
No kidding. I am only trying to show the idea and get opinions on the general idea. I think the idea is sound and fits the VX. I'll freely admit I'm not a great paint or Pshop editor and I had no intention of making anyone think this is a real product. I would like to gauge interest and see if someone like RON? might take an interest in fabbing either a complete hood or a bolt-on insert like this. A design using the full width of the front or rear of the insert should allow for much better intake or cooling airflow.

WyrreJ
11/28/2003, 01:35 PM
With an insert like that, maybe it would make sense to have both an intake and an extractor. For the intake, maybe it would make sense for there to be additional ducting beneath the insert to direct the airflow "apropriately" - the idea being to avoid the case where the air comes in the intake, and then flows directly to the extractor without having any real effect on the engine temps.

On Your Left
11/28/2003, 05:38 PM
Sgt Batguano, photoshop skills aside, I gotta say I like the forward facing scoop, although would think if it were a little narrower it might visually fit better, but that's just personal prefernce. You can play with the pcture to see what works best.

I've been looking at some of the scoops on this site and think a forward facing scoop may accent the agressiveness of the VX and if it were functional would help cool off the enigine by forcing air in - as real hood scoops are made to do, not just the cosmetic ones we've seen since Fast & Furious became popular. You know like with real old school hot rods. And if you want the carbon fiber look, maybe getting someone to coat the scoop and entire insert in CF would be slick.

Keep thinking and playing around man. That's how we innovate and stay unique.:evil2:

newthings
11/28/2003, 09:24 PM
SPAZZ,
Did you remove the stock electric fan and replace with a 12" or are you manually switching the stock fan? Or, did you replace the stock clutch fan with a 12" electric as a 'Puller'?

My efforts for a thick radiator have hit some bumps. The builder split with the deposit. His brother, with a real radiator shop, has sent a stock unit as a model to a custom shop in Az. If it comes to pass, it will have a 2600 cfm puller fan in place of the stock clutch fan. Still waiting.
Roy

Triathlete
11/29/2003, 09:36 AM
Spazz,
What model fan did you use. Post some pics of where and how you mounted it. Did you have to modify anything or was it basically a "bolt in"?

MZ-N10
11/29/2003, 12:19 PM
if im not wrong most the forward facing intake vents on japanese cars were for the intercooler...i know this is true for the WRX, STi, RX-7 TurboII...etc...and on american muscle....they were for intake for the carberator(something like tat),i have no idea wats it for on teh SS....and teh reverse vent...like on EVOs were design to bring the air from the front and up over the engine block and out...im not sure how effective it is to have the vents try to cool down teh engine seeing how engine placement and stuff wasnt design to have colder air pass over it......the vents might just be more of a cosmetic thing..but on the other hand if u make a intake on the left side right on top of the intake...tat might help get more cold air into the intake...
________
Vaporgenie Review (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

SGT.BATGUANO
11/30/2003, 12:18 AM
The reason behind my idea is based on the K.I.S.S. principle. All that would need to be done is lift one end of the whole insert about 2-1/2" and fill in the gaps on the sides, add a filler under the scoop to deter water and debris entry and provide attachment points. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, or anything fancy, just simple and effective. The individual could easily make their own underhood baffle plate to direct airflow where they want it.

VX-KING
12/01/2003, 05:44 AM
hey SGT.BATGUANO

if you can make that custom hood insert i'll buy it if you can make it bigger like the rear facing picture just a little bit taller like RICKSTER VX and make it in carbon fiber

if you do this i'll buy it no question ask if you can give me a call at 609-989-9005

thanks

alex

SGT.BATGUANO
12/01/2003, 03:57 PM
Sorry King,

I'm just the messenger. I was hoping it might attract the interest of one of our 'glas layin' artisans, because it could be done as a hood or just the insert and shouldn't be too hard to fab the insert version (it's basically a wedge-shaped insert spacer).