PDA

View Full Version : Best Upgrades for Performance/Mileage

On Your Left
11/19/2003, 01:35 PM
Can anyone tell me what the best upgrades are for my VX that would increase performance and/or fuel efficiency? In other words, what's the most bang for my buck? Any suggestions?

Dallas4u
11/19/2003, 01:49 PM
I will always stand behind my PV muffler for most bang for the buck.

Heraclid
11/19/2003, 06:06 PM
I second that, not yet from experience, but I've heard many say the same. For what you get out of it, it's real cheap.

Best mod is the supercharger, but it'll run you something like $2700 for it, plus labor. It'll boost your stock 215hp up by another 50hp.

Some swear by the K&N air filter, which runs about $40. I'm still not convinced so I'm on the fence about trying that out.

I think as far as fuel efficiency goes, the best thing you can go is keep up with basic maintenance and not use your power mode. I use my power mode more than I don't though because I notice a real difference and it's more fun with it engaged. I can definitely tell I get to visit the gas station more too though.

WyrreJ
11/19/2003, 06:25 PM
Removing the air-intake elbow in the front right corner of the engine compartment. It is free, nothing beats free.

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/19/2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
the best thing you can go is keep up with basic maintenance

I recently changed my own oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter at 30,000 miles and had the front & rear diffs along with TOD drained and refilled at dealership and couldn't believe how "perky" my VX felt afterwards. I really was caught off guard as I expected not to notice anything at all. The air filter didn't look particularly dirty and I blew through the fuel filter and found no restriction or blockage. Apparently the sum of very small increases (air flow, fuel flow, fresh & clean motor oil & less driveline drag) resulted in a noticable improvement (butt-dyno).

hchen
11/20/2003, 12:19 AM
with those mods like a custom catback exhaust or muffler...and K/N filter intake whatever...you actually get worse mileage because more power = more gas. i previously thought that it woudl be better mileage but turns out not really and i asked a friend and he told me that it's a myth...so yea...fuel goes byebye. i only get good mileage doing highway driving...other than that i get nothing. maybe im wrong and i just drive really hard since i got my custom cat and intake....

~~BEST MOD = rip out all the interior and if youre fat, shed some pounds and then maybe the intake and exhaust will shed 1/2 - 1 second off ...maybe more! and run 16 inch rims or hubcaps so lighten the load even more if you want quick pick up speed. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA taht's the way to gooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tone
11/20/2003, 06:11 AM
Intake and exhaust mods WILL improve MPG IF, and only IF you keep your foot out of the throttle which is hard to do when you know there is more power available. Synthetic fluids and max air in the tires also will return MPG improvements.

On Your Left
11/20/2003, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

My only hesitation about getting the VX was the mileage. Even before I picker her up I wasthinking about mods, like a cat back system, and after reading some of the discussion on this site I'm convinced I'll do that. But I may have the same problem as HCHEN and HERACLID - a heavy right foot.

SC is out. Its too exspenive for only 50 more horse. VX has pretty good performance for an SUV in the power mode.

Don't know about the K&N. I've heard mixed reviews from freinds and not sure they are worth the money. One friend even thought the way they worked was to not restrict air intake, thereby allowing more "dirt" into the engine and shortening the life??? Hope that's not the case.

AlaskaVX
11/20/2003, 03:35 PM
The K&N is less restrictive. The difference is that it doesn't have the super fine filter paper like most, instead it uses wires as a frame for less restrictive (then paper filter) cloth and then the cloth is coated in oil in order to grab the finer particles going through. I use a K&N, I don't think you will feel an improvement but I'm sure it helps the engine breath easier.

Heraclid
11/20/2003, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure if the K&N dirties up an engine as I've heard it said that it does and also that it doesn't. I have heard that the oil used can foul up some of your sensors if applied too earnestly.

VehiSHARK
11/29/2003, 12:16 AM
K&N is just fine for this application.

Use cleaner properly. Lightly oil.

Besides by the time you would need to clean it. you could afford to buy new one.

used k&n. stills increases safe airflow more than the best stock air cleaner around.

you do not have to buy K&N. just open style of filter like K&N.

you will feel a little difference, but you will hear a bit bigger difference when hitting the accelerator.