PDA

View Full Version : Lifted VX or agressive looking tires...with stock 18" Rims

jheyson =)
03/27/2014, 02:25 PM
Hello guys and girls,

I am planning to get a more agressive look in my VX. I was wondering if some of you have pictures of lifted VX on stock rims. I like the look of the stock rims.

I have seen a couple pics in the past ,but I don't seem to find the pictures and the specific details such as how many Torsion cranks , lifting, spacers. I saw Rickshawn thread about difference in 912 and 913 springs.

By the way, what is HD Torsion ?

Currently I am running in KUMMOS , which were purchased by the previous owner with stock rims.

Thanks!!

tom4bren
03/27/2014, 02:28 PM
HD Torsion refers to Heavy Duty Torsion Bars. They are available from Independent 4X in Richmond, VA.

With the mild lift you are talking about, you won't need them.

tom4bren
03/27/2014, 02:43 PM
Your first step will be to shop for tires. Since you plan on retaining the 18" rim, your tire selection will be quite limited. Once you locate the tire you intend to purchase, we can help you determine how much lift you'll need & where to go from there.

nfpgasmask
03/27/2014, 03:17 PM
I always thought Biju did a nice job with his Proton back in the day.

http://isuzugeek.org/vx/038.jpg

http://isuzugeek.org/vx/030.jpg

Bart

Riff Raff
03/27/2014, 03:42 PM
FYI--

The biggest tire that will fit on a 100% OEM stock "non-lifted" VX using the OEM 18x7 factory rims is 275/65R18 (32" O.D.). This size is bolt-on perfect with only a tiny inner triangle trimmed from the front cladding (inner front wheel well), and will give your VX an instant 1.25" increase in ground clearance. Torsion bar cranks are NOT required with this set-up.

If you plan on lifting-- you might as well go big (or go home) and mount 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) on the OEM 18x7 rims (yes, they'll fit on the stock rims).

:bgwb:

JoFotoz
03/27/2014, 05:45 PM
X2 what Tom said :thumbup:

Here is the "Tires & Rims thread ( the SEARCH function is your friend!) :-

www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14685&highlight=Tires+Rims

This will give you LOTS of pics of VX's with different Tire options :thumbup:

Once you pick a tire size, the OME coils you may need will be easy to pick.

Torsion bar turns depend to a degree on how you like your VX to sit...
...nose down/nose up/ level .

Jo

WormGod
03/28/2014, 07:06 AM
Also think about OTHER things.... like where you keep your VX.

I would love to lift. Have even owned all the goods for years to lift it. But.... even just a couple more inches, and she won't fit in the garage anymore. Barely clears the archway now at stock height with 285/60-18.

Good luck.

nfpgasmask
03/28/2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I had to replace the top most piece of trim on my garage opening. With my roof rack on and the spare up there I just barely fit in my garage. Literally, like 1/4" of space.

Bart

JoFotoz
03/28/2014, 01:01 PM
Yup....

Yeah, I had to replace the top most piece of trim on my garage opening. With my roof rack on and the spare up there I just barely fit in my garage. Literally, like 1/4" of space.

Bart

I notched out my top trim on garage opening too.

Small sacrifice IMO!

jo

tom4bren
03/28/2014, 01:11 PM
When I built my garage years ago, I was driving a lifted full size Dodge. I designed it so it'd fit with no issues. I miss my garage ... lost it in the divorce.

Like Jo so eloquently stated tho:

Small sacrifice IMO!

vt_maverick
03/30/2014, 01:40 PM
LOL Tom...

jheyson =)
04/01/2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the valuable information. I appreciate it! The Vx family rocks again!! I have gained a lot of information through this days about lifting and tires. Rickshawn thread is great for deciding the kind of lift.

After looking at many cars, I think Iam going to go to the 913 Ome springs and the terra trail grapplers 285/65-18.....they are 33" according to silverbullet ( the ones that silverbullet67 using) but silverbullet67 has the 919 ome springs plus a 1" Daystart spacer...

....do you guys thing that these tires will fit ok with just the 913 ome or do I need an spacer on top of that?....

....and how many turns do I have to do approximately in the front?....

By the way, what is flip ball joint? Do I need for this? Or HD torsion?

You know you today yeah
By the way, my second option of tires 285/60-18 nitto terra grappler . The ones that Ron is using in his ironman. He has the 913 installed.

Iam planning to use stock 18" wheels.

One last question, can somebody forward me the link to order the 913 ome springs?

Thanks again to all ,
Also, thanks riffraff for the private message. It was sooo helpful

Y33TREKker
04/01/2014, 04:37 PM
I always thought Biju did a nice job with his Proton back in the day.
The right rims and aggressive looking tire tread choice can make all the difference regardless of whether a VX is lifted or not.

jheyson =)
04/01/2014, 04:56 PM
The right rims and aggressive looking tire tread choice can make all the difference regardless of whether a VX is lifted or not.

Thanks Y33TREKker,

I agree with you.That is a good point! The right set of tires and wheels can get the look that I am looking for. By any chance, do you recognize what kind of tires Biju on the picture? Thanks

Y33TREKker
04/01/2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks Y33TREKker,

I agree with you.That is a good point! The right set of tires and wheels can get the look that I am looking for. By any chance, do you recognize what kind of tires Biju on the picture? Thanks
From Biju's gallery.

Nitto Dune Grapplers

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3167/dune05.jpg

jheyson =)
04/01/2014, 05:28 PM
That is great!! Thanks for the info again.

I may consider those as well.

tom4bren
04/02/2014, 05:55 AM
I think Iam going to go to the 913 Ome springs and the terra trail grapplers 285/65-18.....they are 33"

....and how many turns do I have to do approximately in the front?....

By the way, what is flip ball joint? Do I need for this? Or HD torsion?

Are you sure that those tires aren't too wide for OEM rims? May want to check with your local tire shop before you order them. IIRC the rule of thumb is that tire width should not exceed the rim width by more than 2".

4 complete turns of the Torsion Bar adjustment bolt for each inch of lift.

Ball joint flip isn't needed for the lift but may help out with alignment after the lift. If your alignment shop has a problem then do the flip ... otherwise, leave it alone.

Here's the link for 913's @ Independent 4x but Rocky Road also carries them: http://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-OME-Old-Man-Emu-Rear-Coil-Springs-_p_132.html

WormGod
04/02/2014, 06:54 AM
I had 285/60s on my stock rims before I got my new ones. Tucked into the wheels perfectly. Not sure why that size wasn't OEM in the first place.

I guess it all comes down to "will the shop mount and balance" at that size. There were no questions asked at my shop.

evillecutter
04/02/2014, 09:01 AM
if i could do it all over again i wouldnt lift it but i would put on super chunky tires with the tread coming off the sidewall like the grapplers - makes the vx look like a completely different beast

SilverBullet75
04/02/2014, 10:11 AM
Here's mine before I switched to MB Chaos 6 wheels.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/113.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19251)

Riff Raff
04/03/2014, 02:00 PM
I had 285/60s on my stock rims before I got my new ones. Tucked into the wheels perfectly. Not sure why that size wasn't OEM in the first place.

I guess it all comes down to "will the shop mount and balance" at that size. There were no questions asked at my shop.

True Dat. The 285/60R18 is also a bolt-on perfect tire without any lifting when used with the stock OEM 18x7 rims and will give the VX a wide stout hungry appearance. Just mount and go. Done.

Give the Grabber AT2 some serious consideration as a possible tire choice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=86QR8GRAT2&tab=Specs

:bgwb:

nfpgasmask
04/03/2014, 02:21 PM
I have the General Grabber AT2s on my VX right now, I like them.

Bart