PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for VX-experienced mechanics in Colorado??

Kizmitten
03/23/2014, 10:44 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm a new member to this forum, and though I don't own my own Vehicross yet (despite dreaming about them since '99!), I think I am finally in a position to get one :bgwb: Hmm, I guess I should THANK my boyfriend for rolling my Level II Ranger...

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few VX owners here in Colorado, so I was hoping to maybe get some recommendations for good mechanics in the area that are actually familiar with these cars. I live in Ft Collins, but would be more than happy to travel a bit if it meant having someone experienced and trustworthy for any work it needs that myself or my mechanically-inclined family members can't handle...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks all, and I am super happy to have found this forum!

Mile High VX
03/24/2014, 06:13 AM
Welcome and hope that ownership becomes reality for you soon.

Tynan's VW in the Denver area use to be the Isuzu dealership and many of the trained techs are still there.

Also near Arapahoe and I-25 is a local place that has done recommended work. Antero Automotive and Truck. Their phone number is (303) 708-8855. http://anteroautomotiveandtruck.com/.

Walker Transmission has been used several times as well by some. http://www.walkertrans.com/ 303-421-2104

Kizmitten
03/24/2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Mile High VX! I appreciate it, and will definitely keep those contacts in mind for when I finally find 'the one' :)

Just out of curiosity, went and looked at an overpriced '99 silver VX on a Westminster lot today that they just picked up at an auto auction on Friday. They hadn't even gotten around to evaluating or detailing it yet... and the poor thing was absolutely trashed! Reeked of smoke, cigarette butts and ash EVERYWHERE, and horribly filthy. Paint was faded and peeling, cladding was practically the same dirty silver color as the car... And yet, for all that, it drove surprising OK and I actually enjoyed our little test drive (aside from the beating my lungs took from breathing in the horrendous stench). I hope their detailers are magicians, 'cause it's going to take a miracle to clean that baby out. I can't believe anybody would treat their car that way, let alone such an awesome thing as a Vehicross! For shame :mado:

Alas, the hunt continues...

Mile High VX
03/24/2014, 07:31 PM
That must be the one at Stan's...it looked beat in the photos.

McClosky's in the Springs has one that is almost ready as well.

Don't worry about finding one close. Find one you like and then have a fellow forum member go check it out for you. If it's right, then ship it to CO.

Lot's of great testimonials here about doing just that, or fly out and drive it back. Great roadtrips in the VX are legendary.

Norrin Radd
03/24/2014, 08:53 PM
Any good ones in the DFW area time for a timeing belt etc change! thanks much.

Kizmitten
03/24/2014, 10:26 PM
That must be the one at Stan's...it looked beat in the photos.

McClosky's in the Springs has one that is almost ready as well.

Don't worry about finding one close. Find one you like and then have a fellow forum member go check it out for you. If it's right, then ship it to CO.

Lot's of great testimonials here about doing just that, or fly out and drive it back. Great roadtrips in the VX are legendary.

Yep, definitely the one at Stan's.

And I actually called on the one at McClosky's, and they said they weren't going to offer it for sale after all because it had 'mechanical issues that they could not fix'. Said they were going to unload it (which I assume means send it to auction).

I'm rather interested in a few that are out of state (and are for sale by other forum members here). Just got to figure out if it is within my budget/schedule to buy out of state and roadtrip it back!

Mile High VX
03/25/2014, 06:02 AM
I'm rather interested in a few that are out of state (and are for sale by other forum members here). Just got to figure out if it is within my budget/schedule to buy out of state and roadtrip it back!

The one in Utah that arcobarco has up for sale is supposed to be very nice!

There is a Dragon Green in Lincoln, NE that looks good but needs some TLC.

You'll find the right one for you.

bartmanS4
03/25/2014, 10:57 AM
This one is listed on CL but it appears to have identity problem. Listed as a 1999 Silver Ironman with Blk/Gray interior. They're asking $8k though but since it's a dealer I'd start out at about half that.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4385905487.html

Mile High VX
03/25/2014, 11:29 AM
This one is listed on CL but it appears to have identity problem. Listed as a 1999 Silver Ironman with Blk/Gray interior. They're asking $8k though but since it's a dealer I'd start out at about half that.

This is the one at Stan's that she described above...it's beat I'm afraid.

Kizmitten
03/25/2014, 03:44 PM
The one in Utah that arcobarco has up for sale is supposed to be very nice!

There is a Dragon Green in Lincoln, NE that looks good but needs some TLC.

You'll find the right one for you.

I've definitely been eyeing the Ebony in Utah that arcobarco has... It's a beauty! I kind of had my heart set on a Proton (or possibly a white or silver that I could custom paint), but that black is growing on me :) Think I might need to get in touch with him...

Kizmitten
03/25/2014, 03:51 PM

They'd be lucky to even get that for it... I don't think the reek of cigarette smoke is ever coming outta that thing :-/

And speaking of local VX's for sale, I don't suppose you'd be wanting to sell that beautiful blue beast of yours any time soon?! I've been talking for years of getting one and painting it blue... I'm pretty sure that is my dream car right there! :p I almost fell out of my chair when I saw someone had done that to theirs (and was located in Denver, of all places!).

bartmanS4
03/25/2014, 03:54 PM
As far as local mechanics go I just spoke with Anthony who works at:
FAMOUS AUTOCRAFTERS LTD
1950 W UNION AVE, STE A1
ENGLEWOOD, CO 80110
(720) 454-3387

http://denver.craigslist.org/aos/4382600972.html

Turns out he has owned many VXs over the years and is a not very active member here as VXDoc. I'm going to have them do my wheel bearings so I'll let you know.

bartmanS4
03/25/2014, 03:57 PM
You could try and talk this guy down to a reasonable price and replace the engine.

bartmanS4
03/25/2014, 04:00 PM
And speaking of local VX's for sale, I don't suppose you'd be wanting to sell that beautiful blue beast of yours any time soon?! I've been talking for years of getting one and painting it blue... I'm pretty sure that is my dream car right there! :p I almost fell out of my chair when I saw someone had done that to theirs (and was located in Denver, of all places!).

HaHa, no I think I'm gonna hold on to it for awhile. It was a very faded Astral a year and a half ago when I bought it.

Kizmitten
03/25/2014, 04:26 PM
HaHa, no I think I'm gonna hold on to it for awhile. It was a very faded Astral a year and a half ago when I bought it.

Yeah, if that were mine, you'd have to pry my cold, dead hands from the steering wheel before I'd give it up!

Kizmitten
03/25/2014, 04:29 PM
You could try and talk this guy down to a reasonable price and replace the engine.

I saw that one, and was certainly considering it. From what I could tell so far, a replacement engine looks to run about $3k... Does that seem to be in line with other people's experiences?

Mile High VX
03/25/2014, 04:53 PM
I saw that one, and was certainly considering it. From what I could tell so far, a replacement engine looks to run about $3k... Does that seem to be in line with other people's experiences?

Good information here from a member over on the Western slope:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22812&highlight=vicki

sindarin
03/26/2014, 07:18 AM
EDIT - Deletion in place for PM to member

Mile High VX
03/27/2014, 11:20 AM
That Dragon Green is on Ebay with a starting bid of $3,995...if you could get it for $4K it would be a good deal perhaps...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

There is a new Dragon Green down in the Springs at McCloskey's with only 79K miles. Be warned they have it listed for over $12K.

Kizmitten
03/28/2014, 01:25 PM
That Dragon Green is on Ebay with a starting bid of $3,995...if you could get it for $4K it would be a good deal perhaps...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

There is a new Dragon Green down in the Springs at McCloskey's with only 79K miles. Be warned they have it listed for over $12K.

Thanks for the heads-up on those :) I saw the relisted Dragon on ebay... I think it has more miles on it than I really want to go with right now (even with the 30K less on the motor). And unless McClosky's got in a 2nd VX with less than 80K miles, I think that Dragon is the same one that I called on a few weeks ago that they said they had decided not to sell because it had 'serious mechanical issues' that they were unwilling/unable to fix. Then again, they also said it was 'very light green, almost silver' on the phone, which was slightly confusing...

But regardless, I think I may have found 'the one'! I have been talking with arcobarco about his Ebony, and we are working on setting up a meeting so I can check it out in person. I have a good feeling about it :bgwb:

JoFotoz
03/28/2014, 02:05 PM
Big :thumbup: :thumbup: on this one....

But regardless, I think I may have found 'the one'! I have been talking with arcobarco about his Ebony, and we are working on setting up a meeting so I can check it out in person. I have a good feeling about it :bgwb:

Many here know Jerry and know this VX .. and his love of VX's in general!

This is a GREAT one... so I hope it all works out.

jo

bartmanS4
03/29/2014, 09:53 AM
Update on the maintenance I had done yesterday. The shop is
Famous Auto Crafters
1950 W Union Ave
Englewood, CO 80110
303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. I spoke with him quite a bit and he is definitely one of us. I'm very happy with the work he did and have no reservations recommending them. He did some extra stuff for me such as lube all the grease fittings, paint my rear rotors, and replaced a missing lug nut at no charge. Thumbs up!

arcobarco
03/29/2014, 11:59 AM
I wish I lived closer I'd take advantage of that in a heartbeat. My experience has been the only mechanic I trust completely is myself.

Kizmitten
03/29/2014, 12:37 PM

Famous Auto Crafters
1950 W Union Ave
Englewood, CO 80110
303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. I spoke with him quite a bit and he is definitely one of us. I'm very happy with the work he did and have no reservations recommending them. He did some extra stuff for me such as lube all the grease fittings, paint my rear rotors, and replaced a missing lug nut at no charge. Thumbs up!

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update and recommendation! I have already been in contact with Anthony a few times to get quotes on some different work, and definitely got the impression that he has A LOT of experience with these cars. I am totally OK with making the small trip down to Denver for a good mechanic.

Mile High VX
04/04/2014, 02:43 PM
Famous Auto Crafters
1950 W Union Ave
Englewood, CO 80110
303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. Thumbs up!

I went by here today to see about a timing belt change quote...Anthony is the mechanic that rebuilt all of the VXs for Richard Payne at Detail Driven Autos in Fort Collins. He knows his stuff and loves the VX.

He gave me a fair quote for the work, which I'll get to in the next few months.

Was great to see a familiar face and he is certainly able to take care of the needs of our VXers in the Denver area.

Cobrajet
04/05/2014, 06:31 AM
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO RICHARD PAYNE?

(Old timers will appreciate the ALL CAPS post.) :)

Mile High VX
05/09/2014, 05:02 AM
Yep, definitely the one at Stan's.

And I actually called on the one at McClosky's, and they said they weren't going to offer it for sale after all because it had 'mechanical issues that they could not fix'. Said they were going to unload it (which I assume means send it to auction).

This one's down to $5,995...drop it another $3K and it might be worth it...:bwgy:

bartmanS4
07/28/2014, 11:56 AM
Update on Colorado VX mechanic Anthony.
I spoke with him today and he said he couldn't make the money work with the shop he was working at so he has went off on his own. He does great work and guarantees his repairs. He said I could post his number and email here so here it is:
7 two 0-579-one67two - text or message
LnLdesignCo at GMail.com

I'm finally going to get my VX to him today to replace the axle seal I damaged in Moab this year.

twalker920
07/29/2014, 06:28 PM
Hey guys...I have used Walker Transmissions (no relation or interest whatsoever) twice now for major VX work. They have seen mine a couple times, and two others a few times.

I had a transmission inspection and fluid change when I bought it, and then I had them do my timing belt/water pump. They were great on both, good prices, nice people, and look forward to seeing my truck for many years to come.

They are up on 54thish and Kipling.

Sounds like your guy is doing good work though Bartman! Still bummed I missed Moab. BUT! I leave for Iceland and England this Saturday for two weeks!

Sadly the VX can't come...it would rock those glaciers...especially with as hot as mine runs :)

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
08/07/2014, 03:05 PM
I wish you the best of luck. I'm currently going through a nightmare with my VX cause 02 sensor and EVAP sensor refuse to read Ready even though i replaced the 02 sensors. No one in central texas will even touch it. I'm at the end of my rope and have driven the car over a total of 2,000 miles since I've owned it. Buying my VX even though it's a great car, looks great, drives great. But at the end of the day it won't inspect. And auto part stores maybe if your lucky will carry the part you need. This was the worst decision I've ever made with buying a vehicle.

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
08/07/2014, 03:08 PM
I feel like my only hope is to garage keep it until it's 25 years old and no longer has to have an inspection.

JoFotoz
08/07/2014, 04:06 PM
I have sent you a PM...

I feel like my only hope is to garage keep it until it's 25 years old and no longer has to have an inspection.

...with info on who to talk to.

Jo