PDA

View Full Version : OK, time to get to the bottom of this.

nfpgasmask
03/20/2014, 04:41 PM
My TOD check light.

A good while back, I removed the ABS speed sensors from my steering knuckles. After which, I had no issues other than my ABS light was on. I don't really like ABS anyhow, especially off road, so it was not a big deal to me.

Roughly 8 months later, my TOD Check light started flashing. The codes were for the front and rear speed sensors in the transfer case. Some people speculate that the TOD depends on the ABS. I was told by Jerry Lemond that the TOD and the ABS systems are separate, and I tend to lean that way as my TOD functioned normal for almost a year after I removed the ABS speed sensors from the knuckles.

That said, I just took out my Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and it says: "The TOD control unit recieves an input from the ABS system, when active, to apply voltage to the clutch solenoid (transfer)."

The key phrase there, "when active". How do you all interpret that?

I did try changing the front and rear speed sensors and it did not fix it. I have not looked under the shifter console on the top of the trans to see if there is a wiring issue, and that will be my next step.

I guess a final test would be to source a set of knuckles with the speed sensors still intact.

Bart

ZEUS
03/20/2014, 06:25 PM
Did your tires wear equally front to back? Very simple, but that is all I have right now...

LittleBeast
03/20/2014, 07:25 PM
Why did you remove the speed sensors?

PK
03/20/2014, 08:39 PM
I would interpret that as -
When the ABS is activated (pulsating), it sends a signal to TOD so that the TOD is not reacting to different wheel speeds and bouncing in and out.

So, with your ABS not working, the TOD wouldn't give a sheete.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and according to my wife, my opinions don't count.

PK

nfpgasmask
03/20/2014, 08:52 PM
Did your tires wear equally front to back? Very simple, but that is all I have right now...
They absolutely did not. I actually just put new tires on the VX, and my passenger rear tire had a lot of uneven wear on the inner side. But now with all 4 new tires, the TOD check light remains.

Why did you remove the speed sensors?
Simply because when I did my front axle rebuild, I decided to just take them out since my ABS wasn't working (for years) and I don't really care or like ABS anyhow.

I would interpret that as -
When the ABS is activated (pulsating), it sends a signal to TOD so that the TOD is not reacting to different wheel speeds and bouncing in and out.

So, with your ABS not working, the TOD wouldn't give a sheete.
OK good, cause that is the way I read it too, and that would mean that most likely Jerry is correct, and that the TOD doesn't really care about ABS. I did some further reading in the main manual about this, and it backs this up further. So I do think I am dealing with a simple break in the circuit from the front and rear speed sensors to the ABS/TOD computer.

Bart

Triathlete
03/21/2014, 06:58 AM
Bart, did you see this (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24050) that just popped up? Read the first 2 posts...may help.

nfpgasmask
03/21/2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah, the codes I get are 14 and 24, they both went at the same time. Gotta be just a wiring issue. I've slacked on figuring this out for too long. That's what happens when you have 4 old Isuzus! :sady:

Anyway, it's gotta be a wiring deal. They both popped up at the same time so I would imagine this is the cause.

Thanks, Billy, hopefully I will find it this weekend. Gonna look at it tomorrow if I have time.

Bart