PDA

View Full Version : CV Boot Replacement Plan - Correct me where I am wrong

JAMAS
03/16/2014, 01:23 PM
I think my VX knows that MOAB is coming in 2 months and I will have to drive it 3k miles. The EGR valve was sticking open and causing a bad idle so I replaced that ( pricey, but easy). Now, after no lift or big offroad trips, I happen to realize that my CVboot is torn on the passenger side. ARGH!!! Darn you murphey's law! I noticed it when doing a brief undercarriage inspection. No noises yet so I think I just need to replace the boot. I have done my fair share of searching, and I think my game plan will be as follows. Please give me advice or course corrections where necessary. Thank you thank you....

Outer passenger boot is torn, inners and driver side seem fine. So I plan on following the instructions laid out HERE (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16430)by Mr. JohnnyApollo and using the pictures and applicable notes from the pdf that was created by The Triathlete HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/Mechatech_Install.pdf).

I plan to purchase the 4 boot kit from independent 4x4 HERE (https://www.independent4x.com/MECATECH-CV-Boot-Repair-Kit_p_35.html)

I then plan to replace both inners and both outers before going to MOAB.

Here are my questions in addition to the overall "is this a good plan" question...

1. Should I just replace the broken boot, or is it a good idea to go ahead and preemptively replace all of them?

2. Are the mechtech boots the best way to go?

3. Should I avoid driving the VX at all until I repair the problem?

4. I am assuming when the indy4x4 site says 4 boot kit, it means 2 inners and 2 outers....Correct??

5. What am I missing?

Thanks for all your help. Consider this a time saver so I dont have to bug people for help at the stoop in 2 months.:)

Triathlete
03/16/2014, 02:25 PM
1. While you have it apart might as well do all 4. If 1 split the others aren't to far away. 15 year old rubber!
2.Some have had good luck with them others haven't. When I did mine I used Dormans and they held up great and are a lot cheaper. The Mecha's are a lot "flexier" whi h eases installation.
3. I would drive as little as possible. Split boot introduces dirt/grit and throws all your grease out (dry bearings).
4. The indy kit is complete...comes with all you need. Roward just used this kit a week ago.
5. Nothing...if all goes smooth it will take about 4-5 hours to do both sides. Give yourself a weekend in case you run into issues (rusty bolts).
Good luck :)

JoFotoz
03/16/2014, 03:09 PM
X2 on the Dormans.

I have had them for years.. :thumbup:

# 614-001 DOR = OUTER

#614-002 DOR = INNER.

If you pack with grease and wrap with duct tape..
...driving with ruptured boot is OK for a while.

All four is a good plan..though 'usually' outers tear ...
..because more extreme angle.

Jo

LittleBeast
03/16/2014, 08:32 PM
My opinion is only replace the damaged one. The stock boots are by far superior to any replacements. Buy the Dormans but I would not worry about inner or outer, just get the one that is cheaper. Last time I bought them one was twice as much as the other and the only real difference is color, black or grey. Don't need a kit or anything. Just buy two boots (in case you mess the other one up in removal) additional CV grease, and some heavy duty zip ties. If you try and use the metal CV boot clamps, good luck. They take forever to get right, even with the correct tool, and then they might still decide to cut the boot, haha. I just use the HD zip ties and they have lasted longer and better for me personally.

JAMAS
03/17/2014, 05:49 AM
Ok, so I could buy the dormans and replace as needed using HD zip ties. I could see your point about the metal causing more damage than good if I dont do it right. Is that what others have done too?

This would be the much cheaper option and if they dont work out, I can always buy the more expensive stuff second. What kind of grease do I get? I read that the grease that comes with the dormans is not nearly enough.

I do have 2 used OEM boots coming to me in MOAB from the wonderful VX Kat, so I could then keep those as spares as the others rip. I like the idea of replacing everything with new, but not if they are worse than the old ones.

JoFotoz
03/17/2014, 09:51 AM
I never had an issue with the quantity of grease that comes with the Dormans.

I've used the metal band & zip tie option...

..metal is a PIA!

Heavy duty Zips snugged into grooves works well :thumbup:

jo

rowhard
03/17/2014, 10:35 AM
4. The indy kit is complete...comes with all you need. Roward just used this kit a week ago.

Yep, the kit comes with grease, lub for the cone, metal straps, and the cone and 4 boots. (didn't use the cone since I completely remove the shaft and disassembled end to properly clean it) , All in all, a real PITA, but you will save a bunch of money doing it yourself.

The one trick I did learn that I didn't see mentioned anywhere was on the inner boot. Secure the small end AFTER you have secured the big end to the inner green cup. Why, it gives you the ability to burp the boot by slipping a small flat tip screwdriver under it and removing any deformity of the boot. I did find that the boots were a bit too long and had to extend it past the grove on the axle shaft so it didn't chaff on the metal band. Billy mentioned that he heard others had to do that too. There were no instructions with the kit, but you can find many 'how to' on the net including a mecatech vid. Have fun:biggringr

JAMAS
03/17/2014, 11:11 AM
Does the dorman boot come with a cone tool to put the outer boot on? If not, how do I get the outer boot on without taking the joint apart?

VX KAT
03/17/2014, 12:11 PM
I do have 2 used OEM boots coming to me in MOAB from the wonderful VX Kat, so I could then keep those as spares as the others rip. I like the idea of replacing everything with new, but not if they are worse than the old ones.

Jon I also have for you a used Passenger inner boot (CarQuest brand) used for about 1 year. If you need that one now if it would help, just holler and I can ship it.

rowhard
03/17/2014, 12:15 PM
Does the dorman boot come with a cone tool to put the outer boot on? If not, how do I get the outer boot on without taking the joint apart?

Having only done it once which makes me an expert:bwgy:. Think it would be more of a PITA then the job already is. You might be able to do it the way I did the rancho shock boots, http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=33, but it would be a really big PITA trying to get enough screwsticks and fingers in there to do it and always the chance of ripping the new one. But, where there's a will there's a way of course. Could loan you mine if you can wait that long or would think any parts house could order one over night if they don't have it on the shelf and then you would have it next time.

JoFotoz
03/17/2014, 01:05 PM
No cone...

You have to take apart to fit these.

Its not that bad...
...its been done several times on the stoop after a days wheeling.

Jo

LittleBeast
03/17/2014, 01:36 PM
Uh, it takes less time to take apart the CV assembly then mess with that cone. It is not complicated, you are just talking about a few parts:
1) "C" clip
2) ball bearings
3) Outer Cage (has tapered head that needs to go in thick head towards engine, narrow end toward middle of CV shaft)
4) Inner Cage (has receased lip and will only go on one way flush)

Super easy, just slowly disassemble, clean, and reassemble. It is so simple and easy once you have done it a few times, I would never think about the cone thing. Just disassemble and reassemble. The grease that comes with the Dormans is great, but I always like to repack the inner even when I am not replacing the CV boot.

johnnyapollo
03/18/2014, 01:17 AM
No problems with mine so far....

tom4bren
03/18/2014, 07:11 AM
I've used Mecha-Tech's ... they tore.

I've used Dorman ... they tore.

I ended up with some very OEM 'like' boots from Advance Auto that ended up lasting. I also thought that there was not enough grease provided so I just picked up synthetic axle grease & packed them very heavily.

X2 on the zip ties. The metal bands are a PITA. If you are going to re-use the old boots that aren't damaged, be very careful cutting off the old metal bands (it's easy to cut the boot in the process).

I've never used the cone. Once you open the inner CV, the boot for the outer CV will be easy to install without the cone.

Also make sure you have at least 4 cans of brake cleaner & several rolls of blue paper towels. The job will be messy & you'll want to get as much of the old grease cleaned out as possible. If you don't have an air compressor, beg/borrow/steal or rent one. It'll help a lot to keep spraying out the grease/brake cleaner to get it all.

Also, pick up a pitman arm puller from Harbor Freight to get the ball joints seperated. The adjustable arm ones don't work well at all. Also spray everything down with PB Blaster the day before you get started.

I highly recommend that you have some anti-sieze on hand as well. Anything that you have a hard time removing should be coated with it during re-install since it sounds like you'll be doing it again in the future.

A couple of large punches or screw drivers are also helpful in aligning the Upper Control Arm bolt holes during re-assembly.

Triathlete
03/18/2014, 07:23 AM
Tom...no need to seperate ball joints. You just remove the 4 bolts that mount it to the control arm. Much easier.

tom4bren
03/18/2014, 09:52 AM
Tom...no need to seperate ball joints. You just remove the 4 bolts that mount it to the control arm. Much easier.

Yah, I didn't learn that trick till after I'd done it the last time.

JAMAS
03/18/2014, 03:55 PM
I am working on this now and cannot seem to get the ball joint bracket over the lower control arm. What am I doing wrong?

Help!

LittleBeast
03/18/2014, 04:41 PM
It must come down before clearing lower control arm. If your upper control arm will not come down low enough if you have a spare jack you can raise the lower control arm slightly. I am sure you can figure it out though. Just pull the ball joint plate thing down and rotate it diagonally slightly.

nfpgasmask
03/18/2014, 07:16 PM
I bought boots at my local Napa and they seemed fine. I recommend getting the CV boot clamp tool, makes things a lot easier, like $30.

Bart

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 04:34 AM
It must come down before clearing lower control arm. If your upper control arm will not come down low enough if you have a spare jack you can raise the lower control arm slightly. I am sure you can figure it out though. Just pull the ball joint plate thing down and rotate it diagonally slightly.

X2.

An extra jack under the LCA - then wiggle, curse, pull, shove ...

Actually it's not that bad once you lift up on the LCA with the extra jack.

JAMAS
03/19/2014, 06:56 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I did get past that point only to run into more trouble.

I finally got everything removed, cleaned and ready for re-assembly and as I was putting my outer boot on and burping out the air, I see that there is a small tear in the brand new dorman boot that I bought.:_brickwal So my VX is currently sitting on a jack stand and I am going to have to get another new boot. I wont return the other one until I get something to replace it. Its currently keeping the outer CV clean.

In the process, I came across a few items that I had questions about.

1. one of the ball bearings from the inner CV fell on the garage floor. Should I be too concerned about damage? It looks fine.

2. When the ball joint was resting on the lower control arm, some of the lubricant/greese from the ball joint was forced out of the bottom. Is that a problem?

3. When repacking the grease back into the inner CV, do I just put a glob in there and then put the CV back in, then pack more grease in?

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Hopefully this CV saga will end and I will have enough knowledge to make this quicker/easier the second time around.

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 07:39 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I did get past that point only to run into more trouble.

WooHoo. Ain't it funner-n-innythang.

I finally got everything removed, cleaned and ready for re-assembly and as I was putting my outer boot on and burping out the air, I see that there is a small tear in the brand new dorman boot that I bought.:_brickwal So my VX is currently sitting on a jack stand and I am going to have to get another new boot. I wont return the other one until I get something to replace it. Its currently keeping the outer CV clean.

Bummer. Mebbe you can patch it with some RTV & keep as a spare. Where was the tear?

In the process, I came across a few items that I had questions about.

1. one of the ball bearings from the inner CV fell on the garage floor. Should I be too concerned about damage? It looks fine.

Nope. They are hardened steel. Yer good.

2. When the ball joint was resting on the lower control arm, some of the lubricant/greese from the ball joint was forced out of the bottom. Is that a problem?

Should be OK.

3. When repacking the grease back into the inner CV, do I just put a glob in there and then put the CV back in, then pack more grease in?

That's perzakly what I did.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

It's what we do.

Hopefully this CV saga will end and I will have enough knowledge to make this quicker/easier the second time around.

Hope you don't have to.

:)

JAMAS
03/19/2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks Tom. The tear was close to the large side of the boot. The tear wasnt all the way through. It actually looked like a flaw in the manufacturing, but I definitely wasnt about to assemble everything only to redo the process in a week.

I am going to try the NAPA boot. From some reading on a few "high lift" forums, they say they are pretty meaty. Figure they cant be any worse than not working. Plus Bart said they worked fine for him.

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 09:37 AM
If the tear is under the band, then it'll be fine. I agree though that it'd be safer to get a new one.

JAMAS
03/20/2014, 09:36 AM
Update:

I got the new boots from Napa. They were MUCH beefier than the dorman ones. They appear downright OEM(ish).

I got both the outer and inner since the quality seemed better, I am going to replace both, but save my inner as a spare.

I have one new question though, the NAPA inner boot (separate part number) contains a larger bag of green grease. Seems less "greasy" in the bag than the black smaller bag for the outer, but maybe I am wrong. Its a larger area to fill with grease though.

Can I just use any old "CV Grease" in the inner and not worry about it?

EDIT:

Reading some "googles" looks like green might be better....Hopefully I dont booger it up.

tom4bren
03/20/2014, 10:09 AM
IIRC, I just put the provided pouches away & used synthetic axle grease instead.

JAMAS
03/21/2014, 06:56 AM
I completed my passenger side CVBoot swap last night. I have yet to take it for a test drive, but everything seems okay based on visual inspection alone.

During said visual inspection, I did a compare against my driver side to make sure I didnt forget anything and realized that my driver side boot is very very worn and appears to be on its way to splits-ville. I will be replacing those boots in the next couple days.

I have no road experience with them, but after holding an OEM, Dorman, and NAPA CV Boot in my hand, I can tell you that the NAPA feels the most heavy duty. Feels like they could take some hits without breaking.

Triathlete
03/21/2014, 07:05 AM
Now that you've done it once the next one will be a breeze. Should be a 2 hour job :)

tom4bren
03/21/2014, 07:20 AM
... but after holding an OEM, Dorman, and NAPA CV Boot in my hand, I can tell you that the NAPA feels the most heavy duty. Feels like they could take some hits without breaking.

Yah, I'd posted this pic a long time ago (L-R: AutoZone, MechaTech, Dorman):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CV_3.JPG

JAMAS
03/21/2014, 07:56 AM
Now that you've done it once the next one will be a breeze. Should be a 2 hour job :)

Wouldnt that be nice.

bartmanS4
05/06/2014, 12:39 PM
I bought boots at my local Napa and they seemed fine. I recommend getting the CV boot clamp tool, makes things a lot easier, like $30.

Bart

I replaced my boots last year with Mechatechs and already had one tear on the driver side. At Bart and Jamas' recommendation I just re-replaced both drive side boots with the Napa ones. Much beefier and should hold up a whole lot better. I'm going to buy two more for the other side to keep as spares for when one of the others tear.