PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question

dietz99vcross
03/14/2014, 06:48 PM
So on the drive home today the brake light came on and the pedal went to the floor.

Not fun!

Pulled into the church parking lot and steam started coming out the front drivers side. I added some brake fluid and slowly made my way home. It is dark now so I can't verify, but I am hoping it is a ruptured brake line.

The question I have is: Are the brake lines for the VX the same as on the Rodeo or Trooper?

Ldub
03/15/2014, 06:13 AM
So on the drive home today the brake light came on and the pedal went to the floor.

Not fun!

Pulled into the church parking lot and steam started coming out the front drivers side. I added some brake fluid and slowly made my way home. It is dark now so I can't verify, but I am hoping it is a ruptured brake line.

The question I have is: Are the brake lines for the VX the same as on the Rodeo or Trooper?

Should be...the set at Indy is for "all Isuzu vehicles".

http://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-Braided-Steel-Brake-Line-Set_p_21.html

Good luck with the fix...:luck:

Leon R
03/15/2014, 06:34 AM
My guess is that your caliper got stuck, overheated the rotor/caliper and "boiled" the fluid.

So the "steam" was actually brake smoke.

dietz99vcross
03/15/2014, 08:44 AM
Pretty sure its not the caliper. I can see liquid inside the engine bay as well as under the vehicle. While it was sitting parked and the engine was running if I stepped on the brakes I with the hood up I could see the steam each time I pumped the brakes.

Leon R
03/15/2014, 09:28 AM
Yea, that suggests a broken line. It is just less likely :). What source of heat was it hitting to steam up? It would take a HOT exhaust manifold or overheated rotor to evaporate the brake fluid like that.

dietz99vcross
03/18/2014, 08:07 AM
Not bad, just got the VX back from the shop/ $7 for a new line. $10 for new connection, $7 for new brake fluid and some labor. Gotta love this Michigan salt, and the fact that the thing s almost 15 years old. Turns out the connection at the end of the line rusted/corroded and the leak was right at the connection. But it goes and stops again which is nice.

rowhard
03/18/2014, 10:44 AM
Not bad, just got the VX back from the shop/ $7 for a new line. $10 for new connection, $7 for new brake fluid and some labor. Gotta love this Michigan salt, and the fact that the thing s almost 15 years old. Turns out the connection at the end of the line rusted/corroded and the leak was right at the connection. But it goes and stops again which is nice.

sure do not miss those Michigan winters and SALT. Since one rust through, think come springtime, I'd be doing a very thorough inspection of the rest of the system, might not have a church parking lot to cruise into next time

dietz99vcross
03/19/2014, 07:44 AM
Thinking about this a little more and while the salt and rust most likely contributed to the issue the culprit in reality may be the lack of common sense of the owner. The other day when it finally reached 40 degrees outside I got this idea to play in the snow. I was curious how well the VX would do driving up and over the rather large snowbanks bordering the driveway. It acted more like a snow plow until the tires in the opposite corners started spinning. When I was done I had snow packed in all the front orifices that I needed to clean out by hand. Perhaps this same snow bank decided to do some rearranging underneath at the same time. None the less it probably is time to switch out all the lines to the set listed above at independent4x

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 08:14 AM
... the culprit in reality may be the lack of common sense of the owner.

H8 to tell you ... but yer starting to sound more-n-more like me everyday:_brickwal

Leon R
03/20/2014, 05:55 AM

Wow, that is just sad to hear, I HATE RUST :(. Was this connection at the master cylinder or at the flexible line?

Sounds like you have an honest mechanic! This is one of those repairs where mechanics can really take advantage of customers.

dietz99vcross
03/20/2014, 07:30 AM
It was on the flexible line. As for the mechanic like all the others before him, he seems reasonable until that one time when he doesn't. But I have been using him for quite a while and he seems fair. I don't like paying the book rate on the labor, but he is quick and willing to work with me on things.