PDA

View Full Version : front brake caliper test question

rowhard
03/13/2014, 10:28 AM
Okay, didn't pay close enough attention. Reinstalling front brake caliper. The 2 slide bolts are different, and sure enough, the manual says a difference. one is called a lock bolt (bottom) and the top is called a guide bolt. There is a difference between them. One looks like a regular bolt if you like with flats on the shaft, but the other has a different end, like a rubber tip. anyone know which is which:confused::mady:

rowhard
03/13/2014, 11:12 AM
Did a search, found a thread I did back in 06 that talks about the rear caliper. There (if it had been reinstalled correctly to began with) showed the bolt without the rubber end on the top, yet on a internet search for a different vehicle but same looking bolts, it is on the top. Sure glad I don't have to go anywhere today.

rowhard
03/13/2014, 11:29 AM
okay, confirmed, rubber tippy goes on the bottom according to thread on Planet Isuzu.

Re: Brake caliper pin orientation & piston condition w/photo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55512&p=470444&hilit=brake+caliper+guide+pin#p470444)

Okay, so the guide pin is the one with the machined flats and goes into the upper ... advice on replacing them. Next question is are replacement caliper pistons available? Guess I'll do a google search. Thanks ...

Triathlete
03/13/2014, 02:23 PM
Glad you found the answer. Are you replacing the entire caliper or trying to rebuild it? I know some on here have found replacement calipers.

rowhard
03/13/2014, 03:40 PM
Glad you found the answer. Are you replacing the entire caliper or trying to rebuild it? I know some on here have found replacement calipers.

No, nothing like that. Just needed to redo the shim grease from the cv boot change I just did. It seemed to be rather noisy. Had all 4 calipers replaced at Les Schwab before moving away from Washington.

so has your stress fracture totally healed?

Triathlete
03/13/2014, 04:51 PM
Stress fracture is healed and back to normal. First race in 10 days.

etlsport
03/13/2014, 04:52 PM
I thought the head of each one was marked, one had a "G" on it.