PDA

View Full Version : Shipping container....

ron
03/12/2014, 08:16 AM
Hey all...

Does anyone have any suggestions to shipping a sailboard from Australia to Ca. I'm interested in purchasing a used board from someone there and they said shipping would be quite pricey unless I know someone who has a container that I could possibly 'rent' some space to have it shipped here. Any advice or contacts would be appeciated! Thanks in advance. Rudy

VX KAT
03/12/2014, 08:43 AM
Try UShip.com.
Shipping companies use it to find small loads to "fill up" their container or moving van. May be someone on there that would be interested.

You can either solicit bids or set a price you're willing to pay. In that scenario, I'd solicit bids.

I've used UShip 3 times, including getting my mother moved here in 2 weeks. They have user reviews just like ebay and you can read all their feedback from people.

Hcloud13
03/12/2014, 09:36 AM
Try UShip.com.
Shipping companies use it to find small loads to "fill up" their container or moving van. May be someone on there that would be interested.

You can either solicit bids or set a price you're willing to pay. In that scenario, I'd solicit bids.

I've used UShip 3 times, including getting my mother moved here in 2 weeks. They have user reviews just like ebay and you can read all their feedback from people.

I second Uship. I've used them quite a bit and I have never had a bad experience.
Also..ron,did you get your cladding yet?

ron
03/13/2014, 11:28 AM
I second Uship. I've used them quite a bit and I have never had a bad experience.
Also..ron,did you get your cladding yet?

No, not yet. Is there any tracking number available? Starting to get worried. Hopefully it'll show up this week.

Thanks all for the advice. Already put in a bid and just waiting for more specs from seller as he still needs to provide final dimensions and weight for shippers to evaluate. rudy

Scott Harness
03/13/2014, 12:13 PM
:confused: Can't you find a good board in Cali?
Wish I knew you you were looking.I GAVE AWAY all my equipment,not too long ago! boards, wet suits,dry suits,sails everything.
Just no time anymore:mad::( Loved sailing:yesb:

ron
03/13/2014, 12:31 PM
:confused: Can't you find a good board in Cali?
Wish I knew you you were looking.I GAVE AWAY all my equipment,not too long ago! boards, wet suits,dry suits,sails everything.
Just no time anymore:mad::( Loved sailing:yesb:

Hey, didn't know you were a fellow sailer!

I have my eye on a specific board (combo formula/slalom) but it costs about 2.5k brand new. I found an older, yet great shape, one in Australia for $1200. Just need to figure out how to get it to stateside without it costing an arm and a leg. If it turns out that the total cost for bringing a used one costs more or equal to a brand new one, then I'll get the new one locally.

Been sailing since '92 in SF bay area all over the place. Now getting older, I'm looking for a comfortable board yet fast and easy to jibe not like a formula, which I have. This board concept is new to the market and has had great reviews by owners. Sorry to hear you got rid of your gear and stopped sailing. Been addicted since. Hope that you return. rudy

Scott Harness
03/13/2014, 01:31 PM
Yea,I haven't been to the sail shop in years.I need to go check out the new designes.
It seemed like the younger crowd was KITE surfing more than board!?!
Also with the weird weather patterns,It doesn't seem to be as windy as a few years ago.