PDA

View Full Version : Power steering lines

glenngw3
03/09/2014, 05:58 PM
I just discovered my power steering line is leaking. It is the metal one that runs under radiator. I have replacement. Has anyone replaced one? It's pretty tight under there. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

bartmanS4
03/10/2014, 02:14 PM
First thing I would do is to verify the other hose is not leaking. If you think the might, just might be a leak in the HP line then replace it too. The metal line you are talking about is actually the cooling line. Since it is metal, unless it is damaged it's not likely to leak except at the hose connection. Replacing the HP line is a PITA and I would not recommend tackling it unless you have good mechanical aptitude, small hands, and a lot of patients. I only possess one of those qualities and struggled mightily. If I had it to do over I'd just pay someone to do it. It did help though to remove the steering pump pulley to get better access.

collisionpr
03/10/2014, 04:45 PM
Pay some one to do it it is not a fun Job, Trust me

RodL
03/22/2014, 03:18 AM
Had the pressure and return line replaced last spring on my 1999 and it didn't stop the leak. Was looking through the site today for comments, suggestions or fixes.

Have been using Lucas since getting the VX a year ago December. Maybe 3 of the big bottles over the course of the year and 4 months. It doesn't really leave a big puddle anywhere but you cannot tell when the reservoir will get low. I check it every time I drive and it will be fine for several days and suddenly it's low. Must be some position in the turning radius where it really leaks. Need to put it up on the lift and have someone turn through the range and find out. The guy that changed my lines also did the CV axles on the front with upper and lower ball joints. $800 in labor and I supplied all the parts. One of the axles was not right so he had to put it back together to roll out until the right one came. Was without the VX for 3 weeks.

Rod

glenngw3
03/23/2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks for tips. Line was badly rusted and squirting out fluid. Not any fun to change. Removed radiator/shroud/fan. It is now installed and everything back together. $28.00 at auto pars store.

johnnyapollo
03/24/2014, 02:46 AM
Had the HP line replaced and it stopped leaking just long enough for the warranty for the labor to end, so having it done doesn't always geterdone. They managed to just remove the radiator shroud to get to it.

As an aside, I talked to a friend who's done the replacement on other vehicles - he basically said that they leak due to the mating surfaces not being flat - if there's any bow or spur they won't seal - suggested using a file to remove anything obvious and then polishing the surfaces a bit. I don't really have anyone near me anymore that does Isuzus (at least no one convenient) so I've just been putting up with the leak...

-- John

Triathlete
03/24/2014, 06:31 AM
I put up with the leak also...unfortunately the fluid leaks on your control arm bushings and sway bar bushings and will cause them to deteriorate. Ask me how I know :(
I will be replacing all of the above soon.