11/17/2003, 12:14 PM
New Jeeps?
http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9837.jpg
http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9839.jpg
http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9842.jpg
http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9838.jpg

Jeep goes off-road for inroads
By David Kiley, USA TODAY
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Striding amid seven new Jeep models the public has never seen, in a workshop deep in the bowels of Chrysler's design center, Chief Operating Officer Wolfgang BernhBut it's more than just giving someone from outside Chrysler a peek at the new Jeeps that has Bernhard squirming. He and his boss, Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche, were sent by DaimlerChrysler (DCX) headquarters in Germany three years ago to straighten out the American outpost. But they are in danger of showing no profit this year after promising that their turnaround plan would bring in $2 billion.

Now they are counting on 25 new vehicles in the next 36 months to breathe life into the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands. ard is tense.
Aiming high with new products

Since the current Grand Cherokee was introduced in 1999, more than 35 SUV models have been launched. Jeep is on track to sell 430,000 trucks this year, down more than 100,000 from its peak in 1999. The reason is simple. Not enough product. But by 2005, sales should be back to well above 500,000, Zetsche says. Those sales will be built on:

• An updated Liberty that goes on sale next spring along with an all-new Liberty Renegade. Renegade has skid plates and fender-flare covers for real off-road driving, as well as a tougher roof rack, light bar and a more squared-off military look than the standard Liberty. The current Renegade is mostly a looks package, basically identical to Liberty except for a roof-mounted light bar, Bernhard admits. The new Renegade "is more of a genuine can-do package," he says.

• An all-new Grand Cherokee that goes on sale a year from now. It has a longer and wider wheelbase for more front-and rear-seat room and wider doorways, plus a more powerful 5.7-liter Hemi engine, all addressing consumer complaints about the current model. But it doesn't have a third-row-seat option, a popular feature in sport-utility vehicles these days.

• Four Jeeps coming in 2005 and 2006: a boxy, Land Rover-like Jeep larger than Grand Cherokee and obviously long enough for three rows of seats; an all-new Wrangler built on a new engineering platform; an SUV priced under $20,000 whose design is not yet finalized; a four-door, Wrangler-inspired answer to General Motors' planned downsized Hummer H3.

Bernhard and Chrysler chief designer Trevor Creed know they must update and revolutionize Chrysler and Dodge designs to be competitive again. But the two also understand that Jeep "must stay a Jeep," Creed says. "Jeeps ought not to be styled at all."

Bernhard's passion for Jeep is on display as his hands run over aggressively flared wheel wells covered with tough plastic to ward off tree branches and rocks

Apostle
11/17/2003, 12:52 PM
I like that second one

hitnrun74
11/17/2003, 02:30 PM
I thought these were supposed to be "all-new"? They still look like ugly old jeeps. The 1st one looks like somebody really tall got stuck in the back seat. Good to hear they're putting a better engine in the cherokee, but sheesh. I guess jeep people only want it if it still looks like a jeep. Why bother with new models? Just glad to have something as unique as the vx. Tradition sucks. Can't wait to see the lot at wal-mart full of identical "all-new" wranglers that look just like "all-old" wranglers...way to go chrysler.

Spike
11/17/2003, 03:14 PM
The red one is the same Jeepster they have been showing for about 3 or 4 years at the auto shows.

bsrome
11/17/2003, 04:53 PM
For a limited time, the Cherokee had a 5.9 liter V8. Due to its limited production, they are about impossible to find in decent working order.. atleast around here. However, I love the respiration that is Hemi, and I'm incredibly excited to hear about the 5.7 :D

Around here, the wonderful Northern Alabama, everybody has a Jeep. All off-road vehicles here are Jeeps. Simply put. That is the main reason I want to get a VehiCross so badly. To prove to these people that you don't have to have a Jeep to go offroad.

My friend is putting a Spring-over kit on his tonight, giving him nearly 9 inches of lift, and moving up to 34" tires next week. However, I'm planning on doing something simular to the VX, someday after I actually get one.

In other words, it just sucks that I've known about the Jeep news for ages, and had never even seen a VX in real life until a couple of months ago.

Also, the 4th Jeep, I'm assuming the Wrangler of the group, looks like fun :p

colmhd
11/18/2003, 01:36 AM
Someones stuck a coat hanger thru the roof of that first one!!!!