PDA

View Full Version : VX Towing

Vinnybin
02/21/2014, 03:50 PM
I have a scenario for the guys that take their rigs out to wherever to off road them as they are probably the ones who know how best to secure VX to a trailer. Recently retiring from the military and have a long horrible drive to florida from Hell Paso. Its about 20 hours or slower.

The vehicles that are going. 38FT Diesel pusher RV 300 HP i think it tows allot but ill have to check it. Hyundai Sonata FWD. The VX( Which is lifted on 33's) and the covered car trailer(20ft duel axle 3500 a piece). A load of house hold crap(probably about 5 thousand pounds. It currently fills the entire covered trailer).

I think the VX may have some height clearance problems with the trailer. Possible solutions: Pull off the roof rack. Deflate tires.

The sonata fits perfectly in the covered trailer.

I didn't see any big D rings to tie down the vehicle to in the trailer.

I am a Black Hawk pilot by trade. I know the how to haul stuff in the air a hell of allot better than on the road. All input will be appreciated.

Vinnybin
02/21/2014, 03:51 PM
And also am limited with two drivers.

Marlin
02/21/2014, 04:00 PM
I did my military move,3 vehicles, one trailer, two drivers. We opted to door to door ship the VX and my wife's trooper RS. Door to door shipping for a vehicle should be around 1000 bucks. I would say, ship the VX, keep the miles off of her, especially since they are terrible at long freeway speeds as far as burning oil. Throw the hyundai in the trailer, tow it behind the RV. Then you only really need one driver.

JoFotoz
02/21/2014, 04:14 PM
AFAIK....

I have a scenario for the guys that take their rigs out to wherever to off road them as they are probably the ones who know how best to secure VX to a trailer.

....all VX's drive to Moab and other off roading on their own 4 wheels!

And hopefully...drive home too..
...though a couple have been hauled away from the stoop on trailers!! :(

:_steering

Jo

Marlin
02/21/2014, 04:32 PM
Not entirely true. I trailered my vx out there first trip. Drove her out the second time. U need to check the capacity of our enclosed trailer. Vx weighs in over 4000lbs.

JoFotoz
02/21/2014, 04:34 PM
:thumbup:.. which is why I said...

Not entirely true. I trailered my vx out there first trip. Drove her out the second time. U need to check the capacity of our enclosed trailer. Vx weighs in over 4000lbs.

.... AFAIK :cool:

Jo

Makocross
02/21/2014, 04:45 PM
I have a 38 ft diesel pusher and tow my VX on a trailer. You can hardly tell the load is back there. I even towed without trailer brakes and the motor home stopped both with no problem(not recommended). I use wheel bonnets to hold the VX to the trailer. I mark each wheel bonnet to each wheel so I don't have to change adjustments. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes to load and strap down. If you tow your car a lot on a trailer and strap the frame to the trailer, the car will still move a little and wear the suspension and shocks causing a worn spot. By using the wheel bonnets the suspension is free to move so the wear is spread out over the normal suspension travel.
Mike

JoFotoz
02/21/2014, 05:00 PM
AFA...my AFAIK goes...

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120220050807/familyguy/images/thumb/7/76/SgtShultz.png/300px-SgtShultz.png

:o

Jo

Triathlete
02/21/2014, 05:24 PM
You may also want to check the state laws you will be passing through. Most have laws on how they are to be secured...most require cross strapping.

Vinnybin
02/21/2014, 05:51 PM
I think I will put the VX in the trailer. Thanks for the responses. What's the best way to shed a bit of height off and secure down to the trailer? Will wheel bonnets be enough or do I need something on the frame? Thanks

Vinnybin
02/21/2014, 05:54 PM
What is AKAIK?

JoFotoz
02/21/2014, 08:08 PM
Its my HORRIBLE typing...

What is AKAIK?

... I fixed it.

AFAIK... my bad!

Jo

JoFotoz
02/21/2014, 08:12 PM
Wheel bonnets with GOOD ratchets should be fine...

I think I will put the VX in the trailer. Thanks for the responses. What's the best way to shed a bit of height off and secure down to the trailer? Will wheel bonnets be enough or do I need something on the frame? Thanks

But shedding height by deflating tires probably doesnt go well with this method of securing..

How much height do you need to lose?

Jo

RodL
02/22/2014, 05:48 AM
https://plus.google.com/photos/101351212510298499646/albums/5944625073523898401?authkey=CI_4gbfcqNKAKw

will put together another album. I have over the tire straps and they work well. Have pretty much stock tires though. Over 5000 miles with the VX either in the truck or trailer. Never moved and only got loose the first time the straps were used.(Initial stretch I assume.)

Rod

https://plus.google.com/photos/101351212510298499646/albums/5885006551566817905?authkey=CNas88yTkImuFA
Photos of the VX on the first trip in the truck

https://plus.google.com/photos/101351212510298499646/albums/5983224056062665569?authkey=CLz33cbF8KT5gQE

First loading in trailer.

Makocross
02/22/2014, 10:00 AM
If you strap the VX by the wheels it will bounce up and down on the suspension, but if you pack your household goods all around the VX it will be rubbing up and down on everything packed around it. If you are going to do that strap the frame down instead.
Mike

Vinnybin
02/22/2014, 11:12 AM
I realize I'm stepping outside the forums scope but I need help. The situation has evolved. For now household will stay in the trailer, the VX on a uhaul trailer(4 wheels off ground), the sonata driven behind the RV pulling the VX. My dad offered to drive the truck across pulling the covered trailer with household goods. THE PROBLEM. The 20ft cargo express(2 axle 3500 pound axles) was just hooked up to the truck. Truck pulls 9200(5.0 F150 w/ tow package). I web page said about 60% weight front 40% back. The tongue of the trailer is sitting real low and dragging chains so I think I loaded it to heavy up front. How do I weigh the front to the back or am I wingin it? I also may have over grossed the trailer itself. When I look at the wheels I'm seeing the angles of both tires do something like this /\. Those dashes being the tires when looked at in the perspective of the side mirrors. When I look at the two axles the both bow upward about an inch or so. The GVWR of covered trailer is to old to read now. I was going to get it weighed and these are my initial observations. I'm in the drive way for now. I know nothing about towing trailers.

RodL
02/22/2014, 11:20 AM
I realize I'm stepping outside the forums scope but I need help. The situation has evolved. For now household will stay in the trailer, the VX on a uhaul trailer(4 wheels off ground), the sonata driven behind the RV pulling the VX. My dad offered to drive the truck across pulling the covered trailer with household goods. THE PROBLEM. The 20ft cargo express(2 axle 3500 pound axles) was just hooked up to the truck. Truck pulls 9200(5.0 F150 w/ tow package). I web page said about 60% weight front 40% back. The tony of the trailer is sitting real low and dragging chains so I think I loaded it to heavy up front. How do I weigh the front to the back or am I wingin it? I also may have over grossed the trailer itself. When I look at the wheels I'm seeing the angles of both tires do something like this /\. Those dashes being the tires when looked at in the perspective of the side mirrors. When I look at the two axles the both bow upward about an inch or so. The GVWR is to old to read now. I was gonna get it weighed and these are my initial observations. I know nothing about towing trailers.

Look at your tires first and find out what ply they are and the load capacity. These are the things that will go first, especially if they are over 5 to 7 years old. (date is on the tire somewhere.) If you add up all the tires and come up with close to 4000 you need a bigger trailer and better tires.

My VX weighs almost the same front or rear axle. If you can center it over the tandem axle trailer it should level out. You don't mention how much stuff you have in the back of the truck. That will affect where the tongue of the trailer is too. Also if you have a drop hitch, try turning it over to make the trailer level (you will need to unbolt the hitch ball)

Marlin
02/22/2014, 11:35 AM
DO NOT TOW IT! Do not tow that way. It is crazy dangerous and insurance may not cover it if you were to have an accident. x2 on the trailer tires, but if the axles are bowing up that much, you are over weight. Move some stuff to the inside of the RV. I assume we are talking your enclosed trailer issues not the Uhaul trailer. The Uhaul trailer should be just fine for hauling the VX. They are pretty good about setting up the right equipment for liability reasons.
You can unpack your trailer and put light stuff in the front, heavier in the rear, just make sure you don't go too light, it will cause the trailer to porpoise behind the tow vehicle (that is where the trailer is wagging the dog so to speak).

Frankenstein
02/22/2014, 12:38 PM
This was the day I adopted Frankenstein. I brought him home on my trailer.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_20131105_132858_314.jpg

Marlin
02/22/2014, 01:08 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMGP0073.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMGP1628.JPG

Makocross
02/22/2014, 04:45 PM
Take stuff out of the trailer and put it in the RV. If you travel that far with an overloaded trailer you will have great stories and great expenses. Don't forget to cross your chains under the tongue. If the chains are too long just twist them before your hook them on. The tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the trailer weight. Get a long 2X10 and pivot point(big rock or block), figure your weight and use some math to figure out where you on one end of the 2X10 the other end under the coupler will balance out. The other way to do it start out on a deserted road and slowly increase your speed. If the trailer starts fish tailing, you don't have enough weight on the tongue. Make sure the trailer brakes work.
Mike