PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension & troopers?

ohiovx
02/20/2014, 04:10 AM
I want to get a set of diff brackets & the crossmember off of a junkyard trooper (don't want to cut mine up). The local pick & pull has 2- "96" troopers & I was wondering if the front suspension stuff is the same? I know Isuzu changed some things around then from what I have researched, but not sure about these items.

tom4bren
02/20/2014, 05:41 AM
I 'think' they are the same ... but couldn't guarantee that for you. It'd be easy enough to crawl under & check to see if they look alike. They aren't a precision piece so close enough is good enough.

I hope the boneyard is going to pull them for you. It's about a 4 hour job to pull them.

Also, there's about a 25% chance that you'll need to replace one or more of the bushings where they mount to the frame. I had to replace 2 of them whenever I was getting them modified for other members.

Remember that there is a member on the board that sells the modified brackets. Contact Joe Darlington for price & availability. I have an unmodified set if he doesn't have any cores at the moment.

I have no idea if the crossmember is the same between Trooper & VX. You could probably get one from Calmini though if you need one but Joe also sells brackets to drop your crossmember to allow for the diff drop.

BigSwede
02/20/2014, 06:41 AM
I am not sure what all crosses over between Troopers and VXs...I thought the front suspension was basically the same, other than maybe the spring rate on the torsion bars, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, regarding Troopers in 95 they went to the wider track which should be the same as the VX, so the 96 would be fine as a donor in general. Having said that, the diff brackets and crossmember should be the same for all 2nd gen Troopers.

ohiovx
02/20/2014, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=tom4bren;291976]I 'think' they are the same ... but couldn't guarantee that for you. It'd be easy enough to crawl under & check to see if they look alike. They aren't a precision piece so close enough is good enough.

I hope the boneyard is going to pull them for you. It's about a 4 hour job to pull them.

Also, there's about a 25% chance that you'll need to replace one or more of the bushings where they mount to the frame. I had to replace 2 of them whenever I was getting them modified for other members.

Remember that there is a member on the board that sells the modified brackets. Contact Joe Darlington for price & availability. I have an unmodified set if he doesn't have any cores at the moment.

I have no idea if the crossmember is the same between Trooper & VX. You could probably get one from Calmini though if you need one but Joe also sells brackets to drop your crossmember to allow for the diff drop.

Thanks for the info. I have seen Joe's name mentioned in previous posts. Alot of the posts I'm reading are pretty old so I always wonder if people are still doing the same things that they posted about years ago. I have avilability to get these kind of mods done locally. I'm also thinking I might get the upper & lower control arms if they are the same. I've seen that a couple people modified the control arms to get the lift without cranking the torsion bars. I haven't quite decided which route I want to go yet.

tom4bren
02/20/2014, 09:11 AM
I've seen that a couple people modified the control arms to get the lift without cranking the torsion bars. I haven't quite decided which route I want to go yet.

That's a new one on me.

Yah, as of 6 months ago Joe was still offering them. I can still get'r done too but my guy is SLOOOOOOOOW (& I want him to focus on the hitches).

ohiovx
02/20/2014, 10:51 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/1126001439.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/1126001451.jpg

Don't know if that will work or not. I didn't read up on how to post a link yet.

VXorado
02/20/2014, 11:06 AM

You old timer, I can do it in 3hr 59 min. ;Do;

tom4bren
02/20/2014, 11:30 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/1126001439.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/1126001451.jpg

Don't know if that will work or not. I didn't read up on how to post a link yet.

OK. Not sure what that would do to suspension travel or steering geometry. I wouldn't recommend that approach until you did lotsa homework. The torsion bar crank is as simple as take the weight off the wheels, turn 2 bolts, lower vehicle, take to alignment shop.

As far as posting links to threads: Just open the thread, highlight the URL on your browser, hit CNTL-C (or right click & copy). When you are typing your post, just put the curser where you want the link & hit CNTL-V (or right click & paste). Easy-peezy.

tom4bren
02/20/2014, 11:31 AM
You old timer, I can do it in 3hr 59 min. ;Do;

Sorry, I included time for a Mt Dew break.:)

arcobarco
02/20/2014, 05:42 PM
I just picked up the Joe Darlington diff drop set. He also added a little angle so that the drive line would have a little better angle.
When I received the brackets they looked so good I thought that they were stock parts not modified parts. I can't wait to install them when I have a little warmer weather. I called because I was not familiar with the normal appearance of the bracket compared to what I have seen posted on the forum. he was really helpful and knows his way around the VX because he has one and
If I remember correctly, he use to have more than one. Of course if you love the DIY then knock your self out. I'd rather put that energy into making beer.