PDA

View Full Version : Blizzak Tires

Cobrajet
02/10/2014, 08:51 AM
I bought these P265/60QR-18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 tires in 2004, and then never used them much. A couple trips to work (30 miles), but that's it.

Yesterday, they paid for themselves. I took a weekend trip to central Pennsylvania, and since the forecast was calling for "light snow" Sunday, I decided to put the Blizzaks on for this trip. They were already mounted on their own rims, so the swap only took about a half hour. My drive up was uneventful, seeing only a few light flurries. Sunday, around noon, I was questioning my decision, as there was still no snow. But then, about 1:30, while having lunch with my friends, it started coming down. Hard.

I left State College around 2:30, heading straight east on I-322. It was snow packed the whole way. Wrecks and cars in the ditch every few miles. At first I took it very easy. I stayed in the right lane along with every other car and truck, going half the posted speed. Shortly after the highway became two lanes, I was passed by a Subaru Outback... the only car in the left lane. So, I took my shot, gently pulled into the left lane, and eased my speed up to a comfortable pace, passing everything!! The Blizzaks stuck like glue. I never felt as much as a twitch or a wiggle, even going the posted speed. Hell, I even passed a State Trooper in a Chevy Tahoe. (I had to slow down to posted speed :) )

The packed snow gave way to slush, and then rain once I got to I-81, and the Blizzaks handled everything with ease. Glad I didn't have those old Pirelli Scorpions on it. I would have made it home eventually, but I'm sure my arms would have been worn out trying to stay on the road. I kinda feel bad for all those people in the right lane, or any who may have ventured into the left lane thinking "Hey, if he can do it, so can I." Sorry, you're not set up as perfectly as the VX for these conditions!

The picture is for Tom, who has never seen the VX dirty (except maybe for our one excursion into the Blue Ridge mountains.) Now, where is my California Duster?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93725352/Feb%202014%20State%20College%20004.JPG

tom4bren
02/10/2014, 09:59 AM
Double G,

Glad you made it home safe. Can't see the pic whilst at work but I'll look at it at home tonight.

California Duster indeed ... OC much??? :)

vt_maverick
02/10/2014, 10:18 AM
Nice review Greg, I've thought about buying a set of Blizzak's to run on nasty winter days and wondered how they would do on a VX.

Now find yourself a car wash! :)

evillecutter
02/10/2014, 11:15 AM
even with street tires i get around better than everyone else that i see in my town when the weather gets bad - except those damn subarus!!! ;)

Cobrajet
02/10/2014, 11:15 AM
Coincidentally, I never saw a Check Engine Light during the whole trip! Oh, it was probably there... I just didn't see it! Amazing how well as small piece of construction paper and double-sided tape can resolve a nagging CEL. :) That helped make the trip much more enjoyable.

And before anybody gives me grief about driving on "old" tires, these have been stored indoors their whole life. They never saw the light of days except for the two or three times I used them in the past nine years. I checked for any signs of cracking in the sidewalls, and they were perfect.

tom4bren
02/10/2014, 11:35 AM
And before anybody gives me grief about driving on "old" tires, these have been stored indoors their whole life. They never saw the light of days except for the two or three times I used them in the past nine years. I checked for any signs of cracking in the sidewalls, and they were perfect.

You know us so well!!!:slap:

dietz99vcross
02/10/2014, 02:24 PM
I have 16" versions of the same tires and this is my second year with them. Since last years winter was kind of mild I was curious how they would do this year. I must agree with cobrajet that they work wonders in the snow. I have be getting into doing the four wheel drift around the last couple corners in the subdivision on the way home and it typically puts a smile on my face, but now I am tempted to just start driving through the snow banks for a little more excitement.

WormGod
02/11/2014, 07:10 AM
I have always used Blizzaks on my Subies. GREAT "light" snow tire. Anything deeper than 4", I had to whip out the VX. In that case, the 285/60 TerraGrapplers always did the trick. ;)