PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rancho 9000's

VR4-Quest
11/17/2003, 05:56 AM
So my keft front stock shock bit the dust, and my dealer is replacing it under warranty, however, in the mean time, I need to drive the car (100 miles a day) and its all over without a working shock. So I decided to buy just 1 RS9000 adjustable shock to see how good these really are (seems like people here like them). To my disappointment, the highest setting of 9 I estimate is roughly the same as the stock shock for firmness. I was hoping maybe 5 would be like stock and I could go a lot stiffer if need be. Does anyone else feel the same. Of course this is for the front only and dont know what effect the rear shocks would have. It just seems like you can only adjust down for a softer ride. Plus, the shock is slightly shorter than stock, and it mounts with the boot side at the top.

Mike

autox-racer
11/17/2003, 06:02 AM
Well i guess it depends what kind of roads you are driving on. Are you trying to compare transient handling characteristics or absorption of bumps/pot holes/cracks?

Here in the detroit area 9 would cause kidney failure. I have my R9000 set on 4-5 and it is still kind of harsh over the bumps.

sveltax
11/17/2003, 08:02 AM
In Los Angeles the 9 setting is like a slot car. Maybe having one Rancho is not enough, buy the second one up front and test again. I set mine at 9 going up the Pasadena Frwy and love to scare those little CIVICs and BMWs on the sweeping 45mph turns.
;Dr;

Anita
11/17/2003, 08:37 AM
Hey, I think I've seen you!

The Pasadena Freeway.. the best amusement park ride for your car anywhere!

sveltax
11/17/2003, 02:57 PM
I've probably seen you as well. I keep an eye out for VXers and Axiom owners. Too many Rodeos on the road to worry about.

:D

zadam123
11/17/2003, 03:32 PM
I have the ranchos also and I would say the same that a 9 is like the stock shock. As to why you want it stiffer i think that is impossible LOL

adam

Hotsauce
11/17/2003, 05:10 PM
I would like to see it much stiffer on rebound, not bump. The ratio of the 9000 is not stiff enounh on high speed rebound for my taste.

Oh, and if you eat a shock, do check the lower ball joint. On mine they went out as a team.

John C.

Deathbyarchitect
11/17/2003, 08:52 PM
:wtfb2: what is usual symtom of stock shocks gone bad?
I think my rear shock need to be checked out since when i go over bump or pot hole they make strange metal to metal noise.
Also rear side vx shacks more than usual-i think-when I go over bumps. is it could be the symtom? And is it possible to have rear shocks shot before front ones?
I have 01 VX with only 12K miles on it.
I will consider Rancho 9000 after 15K service.

thanks in advance.

P.S. i do believe Zadam has adjustable dials inside of VX. is it kinda typical setup for all of you guys or not?
if you have those dials and guages in VX, anyone intalled them in different location than Zadam's?

01 Black VX