PDA

View Full Version : JDM FENDER MIRROR's for sale soon!

Hcloud13
02/05/2014, 04:55 AM
After searching for what seems like forever...I got the coveted fender mirror!

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-w95467857

Had to buy the whole damn fender...but I don't care.
Should be to me in about 2 weeks. NOW here is the fun part. I've talked to some people that have a 3d printer and it's small enough to make plastic copy's!!!
They will be exact replicas!
that means I will have fender mirror's for sale in the next month or so!

Pricing will for them will reflect how much it cost to have them made..so I'm not sure on that yet. but I will keep everyone updated.

P.S Jamas! you are first in line :happyface

Mile High VX
02/05/2014, 05:00 AM
It's a two piece unit with a swivel. Be interesting to see how the hardware is to find. It doesn't look to be too unique.

What are you going to do for the actual mirror piece?

Be sure to take good measurements on where the holes in the fender are so everyone has good instructions for mounting.

Sounds like a project well worth the time and effort!

I was able to put mine on by unbolting the top of the fender only and did not have to remove the entire fender to make it work properly but the holes were already there for me.

We'll have to start a Front Fender Mirror group (FFM), like the Black Hood group...:smilewink:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

Hcloud13
02/05/2014, 06:20 AM
It's a two piece unit with a swivel. Be interesting to see how the hardware is to find. It doesn't look to be too unique.

What are you going to do for the actual mirror piece?

Be sure to take good measurements on where the holes in the fender are so everyone has good instructions for mounting.

Sounds like a project well worth the time and effort!

I was able to put mine on by unbolting the top of the fender only and did not have to remove the entire fender to make it work properly but the holes were already there for me.

We'll have to start a Front Fender Mirror group (FFM), like the Black Hood group...:smilewink:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

In regards to the mirror piece itself,I'll probably take it to a glass cutting place and have them cut me a bunch of new ones.

I'm also getting the entire fender! so the measurements and hole placement will be easy.

My biggest concern is keeping the price down on making replicas. I don't want it to cost like 400$ a piece lol. don't think many people would want to drop that kind of money for them.

JAMAS
02/05/2014, 08:40 AM
P.S Jamas! you are first in line :happyface
:dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban:
:dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban: :dan_ban:

Cant wait!!!

JAMAS
02/05/2014, 08:42 AM
Could you ask the person doing the scanning if they could mirror the scan so that the final reproduced fender mirror would be on our passenger side?

Hcloud13
02/05/2014, 09:34 AM
Could you ask the person doing the scanning if they could mirror the scan so that the final reproduced fender mirror would be on our passenger side?

When I get it in I'll see if I can do it. I should be able to tho.

VXorado
02/05/2014, 10:32 AM
Depending on the final price, count me in!!! :yesy:

whitebreadx
02/06/2014, 05:24 AM
Count me in for one too. Cant wait

Noctis
02/06/2014, 10:36 AM
Ok this is just too awesome to not get in on ....

Everyone one of these amazing items chips away at my desire to restore to factory new...

Hcloud13
02/07/2014, 03:41 AM
:waag:good lord..cost me 424$ to ship that sucker to me.
But it will be worth it in the end.

tom4bren
02/07/2014, 04:49 AM
:waag:good lord..cost me 424$ to ship that sucker to me.
But it will be worth it in the end.

Sounds like my V6 hood insert. Quoted $150 but was $230 out the door ... but end result was worth it (IMHO).

magellan
02/09/2014, 12:21 AM
After searching for what seems like forever...I got the coveted fender mirror!

NOW here is the fun part. I've talked to some people that have a 3d printer and it's small enough to make plastic copy's!!!
They will be exact replicas!

You sir, are a genius !!! wonder if it is possible to reverse engineer it and make a RHS one ?

Starglider
02/11/2014, 01:09 PM
I'd go for a RHS one to have a matched pair on my JDM :)

Hcloud13
02/12/2014, 01:04 PM
It's here! and made it safe!

Step 1. Find the damn thing for sale...Check!
Step 2. Buy it...Check!
Step 3. Get it to me safe n sound...Check!
Step 4. FREAK THE F*&K OUT!!!!!...still checking!

Step 5. Find a 3D printer close to me. I'll keep you all updated!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg130/Hcloud13/289_zpseeccbb0e.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Hcloud13/media/289_zpseeccbb0e.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg130/Hcloud13/293_zpsc35d7065.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Hcloud13/media/293_zpsc35d7065.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg130/Hcloud13/290_zps17f5b1e0.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Hcloud13/media/290_zps17f5b1e0.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg130/Hcloud13/291_zps4541fabf.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Hcloud13/media/291_zps4541fabf.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg130/Hcloud13/294_zpsa4c0c6c0.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Hcloud13/media/294_zpsa4c0c6c0.jpg.html)

VXobsession
02/12/2014, 01:10 PM
We'll all be waiting on our toes

bartmanS4
02/12/2014, 01:29 PM
Find someone with one of these and make 'em out of carbon fibre!
http://uncrate.com/p/2014/01/carbon-fiber-3d-printer.jpg
http://uncrate.com/stuff/mark-one-carbon-fiber-3d-printer/
Or buy one and go into business making all sorts of CF stuff!

vt_maverick
02/12/2014, 01:38 PM
Well done Doug! That thing looks to be in mint condition. My question is once you figure out how to copy the housing how do we get the mirror glass made in the right shape (outer edge and curvature)?

Hcloud13
02/13/2014, 04:04 AM
Found one!
http://www.ems-usa.com/

And they are right down the road from me.
Going there today to get an idea of what needs to be done.

In regards to the glass piece ..not sure yet. I'm also going to a glass shop to see about that.

Fingers crossed folks.

Mile High VX
02/13/2014, 04:58 AM
You may have to do it as one piece and give up on the OEM swivel aspect.

Either way it will look the same on the VX, but the mounting will have to be adjusted if that is the case.

Good luck!

Hcloud13
02/13/2014, 05:59 AM
You may have to do it as one piece and give up on the OEM swivel aspect.

Either way it will look the same on the VX, but the mounting will have to be adjusted if that is the case.

Good luck!

I could do the swivel,but then I'd have to go to a CNC machine shop to get replicas made of the internal hardware. and that would jack up the price.

I can do it as once solid piece and make an alternate set up to attach it with a few things from lowes/Home depot.

Maybe I should do a basic and an premium ver. ?

If I did do a True honest to god replica with the swivel you wouldn't be able to tell the diff between the original and the copy.

Honestly it all depends on how much it would cost..and is the market bigger in the VX world for a full on replica or a shell replica.

vt_maverick
02/13/2014, 06:35 AM
I think you should at least price the two options. There are always a few diehards who will want it 100% accurate or not at all, as well as those that are okay with it as long as the external look is correct.

As a footnote it looks like the glass is pretty convex anyway, so I wonder how much adjustment is really even needed? Kind of like those $3 blind-spot stick-on mirrors which work well regardless of where the main mirror is pointed.

JAMAS
02/13/2014, 06:57 AM
:drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2:

Step 6: Sleep with one eye open because JAMAS is TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the duplicates to be made

Hcloud13
02/13/2014, 07:01 AM
:drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2::drool2:

Step 6: Sleep with one eye open because JAMAS is TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the duplicates to be made

Truuuuust me good sir!
You are sooo the first in line when they are made. lol

Hcloud13
02/13/2014, 07:25 AM
Also this place I'm getting the 3D printing done at is pretty fancy! had to set an appointment. Can't just walk in. Sooo they are calling me back.
I also talked to them and gave them measurements on a pair of some other JDM items and I can also have them replicated....but I won't spill the beans on them just yet ; )

Appointment is set for 1pm Wednesday.

Mile High VX
02/13/2014, 12:52 PM
I could do the swivel,but then I'd have to go to a CNC machine shop to get replicas made of the internal hardware. and that would jack up the price.

I can do it as once solid piece and make an alternate set up to attach it with a few things from lowes/Home depot.

Maybe I should do a basic and an premium ver. ?

If I did do a True honest to god replica with the swivel you wouldn't be able to tell the diff between the original and the copy.

Honestly it all depends on how much it would cost..and is the market bigger in the VX world for a full on replica or a shell replica.

As far as I can tell the swivel on allows you access to remove and mount the base and the mirror.

Presumably if you broke the top part of the mirror you wouldn't need to remove the base from the fender, just the broken top portion. You would do this by swiveling the mirror to reveal the mounting pieces.

This is also where the screws go through the base and you bolt the metal mount under the fender. You can easily do this differently to make mounting the one piece mirror to the fender simple and easy. If you're not trying to remove or install the mirror there is really no need for the swivel. It's not something you use when trying to use the mirror anyway.

Really wouldn't be a big deal for me either way.

magellan
02/13/2014, 05:12 PM
Can't wait even though the shipping is going to murder me and so will the wife !!

As an aside i had broken my mirror and the glass guys replaced it with a curved mirror from a Hyundai something or other, they just cut the shape and put the edging on and glued it in ..... a RHS one will be awesome

blacksambo
02/13/2014, 08:16 PM
The part you should be 3D printing is the base. The top part and glass are, I'm pretty certain, '98 Honda CRV JDM, and readily available. Just refraining what I 've read here before.

Hcloud13
02/14/2014, 03:12 AM
The part you should be 3D printing is the base. The top part and glass are, I'm pretty certain, '98 Honda CRV JDM, and readily available. Just refraining what I 've read here before.

huh...Did not know that! I'll check into it. Thank you. : )

ron
02/14/2014, 10:31 AM
This was one of the projects that I was going to pursue for a while. But got caught up with work and had no time. Here's a few things to keep in mind, if you haven't thought about this yet:

1. You may want to check on is the material durability. I've seen printed parts using abs material and even though it's abs, the parts were not as strong as something injection-molded or thermo-formed. Inquire with your vendor whether the material they use will be durable against the elements and NOT brittle or susceptible to UV light.

2. Your parts, depending on the type of printer quality, may have step lines which will require post finish work (sanding) to make it smooth. The better/smoother the print results, the more cost it may incur.

3. I assume you will be having the part 3d scanned? If so, have them do a 'mirror' image of the part on CAD so you can get a right hand drive duplicate as well.

4. Lastly, since the mirror is convex and uniquely shaped within the cavity of the housing, you can have that part printed separately and have it chrome plated for a mirror effect. This may require you to remove the actual mirror from the housing to get scanned separately. Again, have them mirror this in CAD for the right hand version.

5. The metal bracket that gets installed inside the fender to attach the mirror, can be fabricated out of stamped metal of your choice.

Hope this helps as I would like to see this come to full fruition. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. rudy

Hcloud13
02/23/2014, 03:29 AM
So I've got some good news and some bad news.

Good news first!! It can be done for sure! I called 3 different places and all of them said they can do it.

Also got the mirror issue taken care of.

Now the bad news..
Just to get it scanned and cleaned up in auto cad is 500$ minimum...

That's before they are printed. to print them it's going to be anywhere between 300 to 600 depending on which material I have them made out of.

So if I paid the 500$ then the printing cost...I don't think there is enough of a market to off set the cost on my end..let alone make any profit of any kind..
I could use the cheep plastic n sell them for 300$ but they would be so cheep in quality it would be un usable...

Going to keep trying tho guys...

If anyone can help me find a cheeper route that would be awesome! MY ONLY requirement is that I will not let the fender mirror out of my sight. no shipping it across the country.

VXorado
02/23/2014, 07:53 AM
Jason here in Colorado has a 3D printer... Might be the best option if he's able to take on the project (and his printer is large enough).

whitebreadx
02/23/2014, 08:20 AM
Ill buy one for 700 if its guaranteed to not break. If it was made from carbon fiber, it would be an easier decision.

blacksambo
02/24/2014, 12:57 PM
So I've got some good news and some bad news.

Good news first!! It can be done for sure! I called 3 different places and all of them said they can do it.

Also got the mirror issue taken care of.

Now the bad news..
Just to get it scanned and cleaned up in auto cad is 500$ minimum...

That's before they are printed. to print them it's going to be anywhere between 300 to 600 depending on which material I have them made out of.

So if I paid the 500$ then the printing cost...I don't think there is enough of a market to off set the cost on my end..let alone make any profit of any kind..
I could use the cheep plastic n sell them for 300$ but they would be so cheep in quality it would be un usable...

Going to keep trying tho guys...

If anyone can help me find a cheeper route that would be awesome! MY ONLY requirement is that I will not let the fender mirror out of my sight. no shipping it across the country.

I still think you only need to 3D print the base. The top half is sitting in the Asian junk yards by the thousands.