PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a new VX

jp3
02/03/2014, 03:38 AM
My daughter and I are flying out to Texas on February 14th and picking up a 99 Ironman and driving it back to Chicago. Does anyone have any pointers or things I should check before the journey back? I am going to split the ride up in two days just so I am not driving it straight for 16 hours.

vt_maverick
02/03/2014, 05:30 AM
Bring oil, lots of oil. Drive around town for a bit before leaving, preferably at both city and interstate speeds, then grab a bite to eat and look for any leaks afterwards. If you're leaking anything you should think about having a mechanic look it over before you leave. And of course buy a jug of whatever is leaking before you head out. Maybe also have an auto parts store check your alternator before you leave as well.

Good luck and welcome to the family! :thumbup:

evillecutter
02/03/2014, 07:34 AM
should have bought mine much closer!!!

jp3
02/03/2014, 08:01 AM
That would have been the smart thing to do. My daughter just got her licence and I thought this would be an excellent adventure for the two of us. The plan is to share the VX but I know that she will end up with it mostly.

Maverick- thanks for the advise. A case of oil will be the first thing we pick up and checking every couple of hours.

eternal21
02/03/2014, 08:04 AM
Flew up to Portland, Ore to pick up a VX a few months ago and drove over 36hrs straight to get it back to Tx. Towing a small u-haul trailer. Added oil once.

Talk with the owner to get as much info as you can about possible maintenance issues you may encounter. The owner of the VX I purchased said it would make it w/no issues, and he was right :)

evillecutter
02/03/2014, 09:26 AM
..also meant to add good luck with the trip!

Triathlete
02/03/2014, 09:54 AM
Owner info that is good to know is if/when the timming belt, water pump, tensioner was changed. As as others already said, keep on top of the oil. Some VXs guzzle it and others use none...it's hit and miss.

jp3
02/03/2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try to get all that info from owner. I will post along the trip. Looking forward to being a VX owner. Wanted one since they first came out.

Mile High VX
02/03/2014, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the madness!

Did you pick up the one in the Houston area that Daniel (VXD959) had for sale?

jp3
02/03/2014, 11:32 AM
That's the one. He has been really great. Put a down payment on it beginning of Dec. and he has been holding it for me. He is also bringing it to the hotel we will be staying at. I have seen a little history on this site of this VX. I know it has been on its side at one time and has been repaired.

tom4bren
02/03/2014, 01:33 PM
Grats & best o' luck on the drive home.

As soon as you get there, read the title carefully to make sure there isn't a lean still showing. That caused a 2 week delay in driving mine once I had it in my driveway.

jp3
02/03/2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks. Never thought about that. I am hoping to get it on the road right after I have my mechanic run through it. Plenty of snow here in Illinois to test it out. My luck, I will get it home and it will not snow anymore this season.

JoFotoz
02/03/2014, 03:59 PM
Check tire pressure is equal in all tires...
...and tread depth is same.

Uneven pressure/tread can trigger TOD issues.

And as stated... OIL!

Best to check it every time you fill up...or sooner....
...until you get a feel for its appetite !

Welcome to the addiction, have a safe trip :thumbup:

Jo

Petos
02/04/2014, 07:29 AM
Back in 2007 I also lived in Chicago and also bought my VX in Texas and also drove it back :)
It was a long boring ride I must admit :( good luck and they key is not to fall asleep at the wheel!

jp3
02/04/2014, 07:43 AM
My daughter has only had her licence now for about a month and this will be her first road trip so my guess is she will not be driving a lot of the time. Although with the new VX it might be enough to keep her going longer. How is the VX for shorter drivers? She is only 5'-3".

tom4bren
02/04/2014, 07:59 AM
The only problem your daughter will have is with rear visibility. Of course, you'll have the same issue. The seats are uber-comfortable for long trips. Don't forget that the seats have an adjustable leg support (daughter won't be using that but you might).

3 suggestions on rear visibility:

Remove both rear seat head rests.

Adjust side mirrors more outboard than you're used to & maybe even get some of those cheapo fisheye adhesive mirrors. Plan lane changes ahead of time to allow yourselves the opportunity to pick your opening in advance.

Adjust your rear view mirror as high as possible towards the cieling & then point it downward for optimum view out the rear window. Those adhesive fisheye windows for RVs would help out on the back window as well.

Cstoops72
02/04/2014, 08:31 AM
I'm 5'11" and if I stretch like a turtle I touch the ceiling... Big thing is lack of visibility out rear view mirror... Can only see things that are farther back, she will have to learn to use side mirrors

jp3
02/04/2014, 08:38 AM
I also have a 1934 ford 3 window coupe that has been chopped and only has a 4" tall back window and has motorcycle style side mirrors. Can't see anything behind it when driving. You just switch lanes and hope. :) The VX does have an after market back up camera but not sure if that can stay on all the time.

VXD959
02/04/2014, 08:50 AM
Hi! Just saw this post today!!! Glad you are excited about getting my VX!:smilegray

The VX has the fish eye, rear view camera, etc. The rear seats will be pulled down as you are getting a lot of extra parts (2 custom interior door panels, used front axles, Gabriel shocks, extra dashboard bezel, extra rear wing, additional jack and jack tools).

The rearview camera can be activated when driving ( I did it once by accident). I don't recommend this as you can get dizzy real quick and it is also a safety issue!

The VX has a seat extender on the passenger side. No problem for you daughter to drive. I'm 6' and no issues. I would be more concerned with drivers 6'2" and above.:driver:

I have the Rancho shocks set at 9 (highest, firmest setting). You can change it to a softer mode (perhaps 7). I think lower than that could be too bouncy.

I will have the VX ready for your trip: fluids checked, etc. Planning on doing that this weekend.

I only put about a 1k miles on it since I got the VX (currently at 91,444), only in-town driving. So not sure about oil consumption. I checked the oil level last night and it looks fine (after a 1,000 miles). But again, never been in a road-trip with this VX.

Glad you will be part of this wonderful VX family. Great people and a lot of VX knowledge here!!!:dance:

evillecutter
02/04/2014, 08:55 AM
im 6' and i feel fine in it but everyone says i look too big for it

jp3
02/04/2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks Daniel. You are going above and beyond what anyone can ask for when buying a car.

Mile High VX
02/04/2014, 11:55 AM
I only put about a 1k miles on it since I got the VX (currently at 91,444), only in-town driving. So not sure about oil consumption. I checked the oil level last night and it looks fine (after a 1,000 miles). But again, never been in a road-trip with this VX.

Glad you will be part of this wonderful VX family. Great people and a lot of VX knowledge here!!!:dance:

Good point Daniel.

Some have noticed that oil consumption in town is very different than when they get a good road trip going...:bgwo:

workmeistr
02/04/2014, 01:28 PM
If you're coming up I-29 let me know when you're coming through.

jp3
02/04/2014, 01:50 PM
Workmeistr - Thanks but we are going from Houston to Chicago so we will not be on I-29. Little bit of a detour. I would like to meet up with some other owners once I get back. So anyone in the Chicago area let me know. Maybe after it warms up a little.

rowhard
02/04/2014, 03:00 PM
1st, welcome to the addiction.

Don't know how much you know about the VX, BUT, rearward visibility is terrible which if your an experience driver isn't to much of a problem, but I'd hate for your daughter to total it cause she couldn't see the other car.

Here is a very useful mirror, (I actually have them on both sides of my VX) and a spare for my next vehicle.

A quick search, this site has the best price with shipping included;
http://www.autobahnmirror.com/mirrorservices.html

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-68IUHxtzQ

Some of the best money you can spend

Thanks AJ, member Totallto for turning me onto this

jp3
02/05/2014, 06:32 AM
Those are pretty cool. I am going to order a set and it try them out on other my other vehicles also. Thanks.

rowhard
02/05/2014, 09:03 AM
Those are pretty cool. I am going to order a set and it try them out on other my other vehicles also. Thanks.

they really do help, I'd be lost without them now

tom4bren
02/05/2014, 09:56 AM
1st, welcome to the addiction.

Don't know how much you know about the VX, BUT, rearward visibility is terrible which if your an experience driver isn't to much of a problem, but I'd hate for your daughter to total it cause she couldn't see the other car.

Here is a very useful mirror, (I actually have them on both sides of my VX) and a spare for my next vehicle.

A quick search, this site has the best price with shipping included;
http://www.autobahnmirror.com/mirrorservices.html

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-68IUHxtzQ

Some of the best money you can spend

Thanks AJ, member Totallto for turning me onto this

I likey this one mo betta (even better than the ones I've got stuck to the glass on mine):

http://www.5starshine.com/info-side-view-blind-spot-mirror.html

ZEUS
02/05/2014, 10:32 AM
Here was my blind spot cure from 8 years ago - worked great & looks cool, to me!
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10123&highlight=blind+spot+mirror
Had no idea it became common.

VXD959
02/05/2014, 12:13 PM
C'mon, visibility is not that bad once you get used to it. I learned how to use those side mirrors w/o an issue. The "fish eye" takes care of the rear visibility. I will be more concern about the VX brake & gas pedals being so close to each other. I had near misses in the past (when a first got a VX) ... I pressed both pedals at the same time at least 5 times!!:freek: and I almost hit another VXer during a Houston meet (that would have been very embarrasing...but perhaps a first: a VX crashing into another VX!!!).

Y33TREKker
02/05/2014, 01:04 PM
Hey, hey, another IL VX'er in the works. :thumbup:

First of all, safe trip jp.

I'm thinking one of the things both you and your daughter will appreciate sharing along the way is all of the stares you'll notice, both as you're driving and whenever you've stopped. It's always fun to witness the curiosity and enthusiasm the VX brings out in people, whether they're car nuts or simply people who enjoy seeing something different.

If you're nervous at all about the drive itself and/or having any problems along the way (which I'm sure we'd all agree is never fun to consider), since you're buying from someone who obviously took the time to become familiar with all of the quirks of the VX and not just someone who considered it transportation, I'd suggest just putting a lot of that to rest before you even get started and focus instead on just enjoying the road trip with your daughter.

Safe travels to you both.

tom4bren
02/05/2014, 01:34 PM
I'd suggest just putting a lot of that to rest before you even get started and focus instead on just enjoying the road trip with your daughter.

Safe travels to you both.

Well stated indeed.

jp3
02/05/2014, 01:46 PM
Y33TREKker - We are actually stopping to see my parents at Lake of Egypt on the way back. Looks like right around the corner from you. Should be there Sunday the 16th.

rowhard
02/07/2014, 03:50 PM
C'mon, visibility is not that bad once you get use to it.

I'm only quoting every article that has been written about our beloved VX and I DID type "if your an experienced driver!

VXobsession
02/07/2014, 03:54 PM
Oh boy...a new driver in an elusive VX...

jp3
02/18/2014, 04:44 AM
WE GOT IT!!!! Made the trip out to Texas and drove the new VX back to Illinois. We got hit with an ice storm that turned into 8" of snow by the time we got back. Only had one problem with the headlights not working but it was just a couple of blown fuses. Luckily there were the exact two fuses in the storage area between the seats. It handled pretty good in the deep snow but new tires will be the first thing I get.

tom4bren
02/18/2014, 05:11 AM
GRATS.

Glad it all went well.

Mile High VX
02/18/2014, 06:37 AM
Sounds like some great memories were made on the way home!

Congrats...:bwgy:

jp3
02/18/2014, 07:06 AM
My daughter is thrilled about it and mad she has to wait till I get the title/plates switched. Everyone was telling her how cute the VX is and she told them its not cute, its BAD ***! When or if it ever gets warm out I would like to meet with some other owners to have them do a once over on this one. We have a list going on what we want to change or fix already.

nocturnalVX
02/18/2014, 07:17 AM
Congrats on the purchase, and glad the trip went well. I hope you get many years of fun out of your VehiCROSS. Let me know if you put a meet together. I'm not too far from you.

VX KAT
02/18/2014, 07:48 AM
Grats on the new VX! :thumbup:

Here's a link to a fairly detailed list of things to check out on your VX.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=252124&postcount=24

It's pretty VX specific so it'll give you some key items to check.

jp3
02/18/2014, 08:24 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/vehicross_TRAVEL.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24452)

Here is a pic of the weather change from the start of our trip to the end.

vt_maverick
02/18/2014, 09:39 AM
You're a great Dad dude, I wish I had something as cool as a VX when I was her age. I would get your headlight wiring checked out sooner rather than later, I'm a little concerned that it was no coincidence the previous owner had the correct fuses already close at hand. ;wtf; Now get ready for lots more of this:

:work: and this :_steering

And now queue the inappropriate comments about your daughter... it's bound to happen with this group! :p

Mile High VX
02/18/2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/vehicross_TRAVEL.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24452)

Here is a pic of the weather change from the start of our trip to the end.

And if she is anything like my sons she was still wearing shorts and sneakers at the end of the journey in the snow and ice...:bgwb::smilewink:bwgy::bgwo:

MSHardeman
02/18/2014, 10:00 AM
The headlight fuse issue may not be a big deal. Do you know if they are the stock bulbs or did the P.O. replace them with some high output/ultra white bulbs? I ask because before I went to HID's, I was using some ultra white bulbs that I bought from a member here (Tone, who is no longer with us) and he mentioned that I should upgrade the headlight fuses from 10 amp to 15 amp. I didn't, originally, and one evening during a long trip (sound familiar?) I went to turn my headlights on and nothing happened. I pulled over and, sure enough, both headlight fuses where blown. I replaced them with some 10 amp fuses that I had on hand and made it home without incident. When I got home I replaced the 10 amp fuses with 15 amp fuses and never had a problem again.

jp3
02/18/2014, 10:28 AM
She had shorts on till the very. end:coolo: And complained every time I made her get out to check the oil.

I believe the lights are HIDs so I am going to wait and see if the fuses blow again. I picked up spares just in case. And yes, it was very "lucky" to have just the two fuses I needed.

VXD959
02/18/2014, 11:57 AM
JP3 -

Glad you made it alright! That pic in the snow is awesome!!! Also glad to see that big smile in your daughter's face!!! Enjoy!!!

As explained in a private email, I'm not sure what happened with the headlights, but I'm glad it was just the fuses. The bulbs are not HID. I just replaced the original bulbs with Hellas with the more powerful high beams. However, the headlight issue never happened to me before (It could be because I never drove the VX more than 40 miles at a time - and usually during daytime!!!). You can either use a higher amp fuse (15-20 amp instead of 10 amp), or go back to the original headlight bulbs (I put the original bulbs in one of the boxes with spare parts - inside the Hella boxes).

In reference to "vt_maverick"'s comment "I'm a little concerned that it was no coincidence the previous owner had the correct fuses already close at hand." It was indeed a coincidence. In fact, those fuses were in the glove compartment when I bought the Vehicross. When cleaning up the vehicle for JP3 and removing personal items, I decided to put them in the arm rest console. In fact, there were 2-3 fuses in there. I put a couple in the fuse box by the driver's door side (I realized that the fuse box was missing two spare fuses - there are like 3 slots for spare fuses in there).

Welcome to the VX family and let the fun begin!!:LineWave:

tom4bren
02/18/2014, 12:06 PM
My daughter is thrilled about it and mad she has to wait till I get the title/plates switched.

Tell her she's lucky. I didn't get Boy's Ebony finished before bad weather set in so his has been sitting for months with the engine torn down.:)

He & I switch out between the Proton & the Amigo (whoever drives farthest on any given day drives the Amigo)

Knigh7s
02/18/2014, 02:01 PM
I had the same problem with my headlights when I switched to a higher output bulbs. But I noticed they burned out only when turning on headlights with the VX off. It was weird, never burnt out while It was running. I switch to a 15 amp fuses and was fine. I since installed HID's but I always have a few spares in the car for the just in case moments.

Y33TREKker
02/18/2014, 04:30 PM
Y33TREKker - We are actually stopping to see my parents at Lake of Egypt on the way back. Looks like right around the corner from you. Should be there Sunday the 16th.
Oh man! I haven't been around the site much lately and just saw this! Lake of Egypt...I could have brought over both the VX AND my golf clubs! :bgwo:

Sorry I missed you both, but I'm glad to hear your trip was a safe one. If you get back down this way for another visit, send me a PM, and I'll automatically be notified via email of your message.

vt_maverick
02/18/2014, 04:39 PM
In reference to "vt_maverick"'s comment "I'm a little concerned that it was no coincidence the previous owner had the correct fuses already close at hand." It was indeed a coincidence. In fact, those fuses were in the glove compartment when I bought the Vehicross. When cleaning up the vehicle for JP3 and removing personal items, I decided to put them in the arm rest console. In fact, there were 2-3 fuses in there. I put a couple in the fuse box by the driver's door side (I realized that the fuse box was missing two spare fuses - there are like 3 slots for spare fuses in there).

Welcome to the VX family and let the fun begin!!:LineWave:

My bad VXD, this thread is so long (a testament to our welcoming community btw) that I forgot they bought their VX from a known good egg instead of a random owner. My apologies!

jp3
02/19/2014, 04:51 AM
@VXD959- Daniel, no problems. It was great meeting you and it was a great transaction. We had such a good time driving back with all the comments from people at every gas station. If we didn't have a little glitch along the way, what kind of story would we have to tell? It gave it a little excitement along the way. Just had the VX on a lift and it looks great all over. I hope you get another one and we can meet up sometime.

VXD959
02/19/2014, 11:38 AM
Great!!! No problem VT!!! Congrats JP3!!! Now it's time to change your profile that says "None" to the proud owner of an Ironman VX!!!!

I will keep checking on this site. There is always something new to learn and good stories to tell!!!

Have fun!!!