PDA

View Full Version : JDM Hitch

The Claw
01/31/2014, 08:46 PM
I am looking for a Hitch for my JDM, Has anyone tried the curt hitch on a JDM?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Curt-Class-3-Trailer-Hitch-13556-for-1999-2001-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-SUV-/121156342382?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c357b126e#shpCntId

What other options are there for a JDM hitch?

There are quite a few old posts in the forum, so I am not sure what is still currently available.

PK
02/01/2014, 03:40 PM
The cost of shipping that from the USA will kill you.

There are 2 types of hitch -
Hidden behind the cladding - you have to register on T4bren's to go on the waiting list, and you would get it in a year or 3.
Curt style hitch - go to your Ma & Pa towbar/trailer shop, and tell them the chassis is the same as a SWB Jackaroo around 95 - 99 model.
That is what I did, and supplied and fitted for $350.

PK

Starglider
02/01/2014, 06:03 PM
I fitted one on my JDM that looks roughly like that, but with a big central flat part that attaches to the front center of the rear frame crossmember, and side flanges attaching to the outsides of the frame rails rather than the insides. It seems very sturdy, have been towing two tonnes with it no problem.

tom4bren
02/02/2014, 02:14 PM
... and you would get it in a year or 3.

I have no response to that.

I am looking to second source the fab though ... so hope to be doing better on turn around time very soon.

The Claw
02/03/2014, 10:32 PM
I tried one Towbar/trailer place near Newcastle and he said he would build me a custom one for $700 cash and said that he didn't want any record that he had built it due to it not complying with ADR. I also tried ISP at Newcaste which has a huge range of towbars and they just weren't interested either as they also couldn't supply an ADR compliant towbar.

Now that I have moved to Adelaide I might try the local Towbar place with the Jackroo SWB option.

Otherwise I will buy the Curt hitch on Ebay and fit it myself, will still be cheaper than the $700 custom option

Thanks for the advice

tom4bren
02/04/2014, 05:53 AM
My buddy charges me $300 for the one that tucks up under the cladding. It weighs about 30lbs if you'd like to check on shipping costs. If you're interested, I'll check with the next few people on my list to see if they'd mind if I helped you out first since you appear to have a sense of urgency associated with the hitch.

I've attached the installation instructions that includes some pix.

The Claw
02/04/2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the offer Tom. What are the dimensions on the Hitch? I used the USPS calculator and the maximum length they will ship as a package is 42 inches. I estimate the hitch is about 47 inches in length.

Just checking with the ebay seller in the US how much they charge for shipping on the Curt Hitch to Australia.

Whilst I would like to get the hitch fitted sooner rather than later, I can wait a few months, have you found a new welder guy?

tom4bren
02/05/2014, 06:38 AM
these guys are local to me:

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/

As soon as I get the next one from Welder Guy, I'll stop in to guage their interest.

Yah, hitch is about 47 inches long.

magellan
02/08/2014, 03:35 AM
Mate i had a similar problem, what i did to get around it was to go and buy a 2nd hand tow bar off an 80 series Land Cruiser from sunstate 4x4 for 50 bucks. Then took it to my mate who builds boat trailers, he made the ends in 3 hours and it cost 90 bucks for the steel. Most expensive bit was getting it powder coated - I have snatched Prados out of the sand on Fraser Is with it and had no problems.

The Claw
02/08/2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the tip Magellan