PDA

View Full Version : Independent4x Steering stabilizer - anyone install this yet?

eternal21
01/23/2014, 12:43 PM
Seems like a problem that some of us have. I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried one, and if so, do you have any feedback?

http://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-Steering-Stabilizer_p_299.html

"This steering stabilizer is specifically engineered to improve handling characteristics and reduce wheel vibration, which leads to suspension component fatigue and failure.

Available in a single shock configuration for Isuzu trucks, this stabilizing system is designed to help reduce bump steer problems caused by over sized tires and rough roads. The twin tube hydraulic performance shock reduces aeration and fluid foaming with 10 stage velocity sensitive valving. An internal bump stop eliminates damage caused by over extension. The shock has a 1 3/8" nylon banded piston and a 5/8" chrome hardened piston rod.

Fits all Isuzu years with a steering box....does not work on Rack and Pinion steering trucks ('98+ Rodeo, Amigo, Rodeo Sport, Axiom)

APPLICATIONS:

85-95 Pickup & Amigo
89-97 Rodeo & Passport
84-2002 Trooper, VX"

TIA

Riff Raff
01/23/2014, 02:47 PM
Nope, we are all waiting for YOU to be the first!!! Please keep us posted after you install it.

:bgwb:

whitebreadx
01/23/2014, 09:46 PM
Its really just meant for solid front axle

tom4bren
01/24/2014, 04:47 AM
Its really just meant for solid front axle

Mebbe but may help with bump steer ... & can't hurt.

evillecutter
01/24/2014, 06:47 AM
personally i think the vx handles great but if it doesnt help you can always bake a pie with the rolling pin

JAMAS
01/24/2014, 07:31 AM
Its pretty inexpensive to try. I will be anxious to hear your results.

BigSwede
01/24/2014, 12:27 PM
Can't imagine why you would need it, I've been driving the same steering/suspension as you guys, with 35" tires, for years, never had an issue with bump steer. Maybe the longer wheelbase helps.

eternal21
01/24/2014, 01:25 PM
My bump steering is pretty atrocious, but I also need to replace the shocks and ball joints.

I'll give all of this a whack first to see if it resolves the issue, and if not, this will be my next step.

Triathlete
01/24/2014, 02:03 PM
If your bj's are bad that will sefinately cause it. While in there also check wheel bearings and upper/lower control arm bushings.

bartmanS4
01/24/2014, 04:00 PM
If your bj's are bad that will definitely cause it.

Never encountered such a thing as a bad BJ. Some are just better than others. If your BJ's are bad just keep practicing. :luck:

eternal21
01/24/2014, 11:19 PM
Never encountered such a thing as a bad BJ. Some are just better than others. Triathlete, if your BJ's are bad just keep practicing. :luck:

Fixed that for you, as I never mentioned anything but ball joints :D

Mile High VX
01/25/2014, 06:45 AM
My bump steering is pretty atrocious,

On washboard dirt roads I have to drive so slow to keep from bouncing all over the place.

How does this help and where would it be mounted on the VX?

bartmanS4
01/25/2014, 09:56 AM
On washboard dirt roads I have to drive so slow to keep from bouncing all over the place.

How does this help and where would it be mounted on the VX?

When you say bouncing all over are you talk about up and down? Or kind of getting jerked side to side? If it's side to side a stabilizer may help but I think what others are getting at is it may be putting a band-aid on to cover up a problem elsewhere. Since it's reasonably cheap and easy to install that's not necessarily a bad thing.

There was a picture on the planet that kind of gives you an idea of where it mounts.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/Floridadan/September003.jpg

Triathlete
01/25/2014, 11:11 AM
Bouncing around on dirt roads is more a result of the short wheelbase.
That stabalizer is a nice rock anchor.

bartmanS4
01/25/2014, 11:22 AM
Bouncing around on dirt roads is more a result of the short wheelbase.
That stabilizer is a nice rock anchor.

Yeah, I don't think it would survive long under my VX, as others can attest I'm not the most gentle off-roader. :embarasse

I am seriously thinking about going with the HD torsion bars though to decrease bounce and dive.

eternal21
01/25/2014, 05:02 PM
I am seriously thinking about going with the HD torsion bars though to decrease bounce and dive.

+1, I've been eying those as well. We'll see how the maintenance works out first. Right now, I'm getting ready for some grinding....

http://infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/enginebay/todmockup.jpg

bartmanS4
01/25/2014, 07:13 PM
WooHoo! Give me a shout if you need any pointers. You're gonna love the 5 spd!!!
Scott

eternal21
01/25/2014, 08:00 PM
WooHoo! Give me a shout if you need any pointers. You're gonna love the 5 spd!!!
Scott

Just spent $30 for a zero offset 17mm wrench to remove the torque converter from the flywheel. Fun times for a one use item *smh*

bartmanS4
01/25/2014, 08:05 PM
Just spent $30 for a zero offset 17mm wrench to remove the torque converter from the flywheel. Fun times for a one use item *smh*

I went the other direction and used a really long extension and moved the starter out of the way to get to those bolts.

vxfocus
01/29/2014, 11:39 AM
i ordered mine last night...

vxfocus
02/07/2014, 02:47 PM
got it installed yesterday after work,took about 25 minutes.didnt have to raise it up just laid under it
here it is installed
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/kenhalford/1391810594.jpg
what a difference!!
i always hated the way my steering felt loose.even after replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends and adjusting the free travel of the steering wheel it still felt loose and all over the place when hitting bumps.
so for 90 bucks and 25 minutes of work i am very pleased with the tighter feeling it gave the steering system

eternal21
02/08/2014, 12:00 PM
Excellent to hear :D

eternal21
02/22/2014, 05:08 PM
Finally got around to installing this today. As VXFOCUS mentioned, no need to lift the truck....I take that back....those with stock ride height might have to lift the truck, but I have a big wheel/tire combo and torsion bar crank, so I was able to use a creeper.

My steering has always felt sloppy since the lift. Tires have a tendency to slightly track, and the shuddering over bumps and road irregularities always produced bump steer; the worse the road, the worse the bump steer. These problems were exacerbated by the fact that I recently installed a winch and a 60ish lb winch mount. With the installation of this kit, these problems have been eliminated. I took it on a 120 mile drive after installation, and it was a night and day difference. Not to say I *didn't* enjoy driving my truck before, but I enjoy it a *lot* more since its wandering ways have been corralled. In my book, it was money well spent.

For those worried about it catching on something, the oil pan sits lower than the assembly, so you should be all clear.

I'll get some pics in some good lighting in the morning.

eternal21
02/23/2014, 12:19 PM
Installed:

http://infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/enginebay/stabilizer.jpg

vt_maverick
02/23/2014, 12:42 PM
Hmm... makes me wonder if it would fit behind the Kilby front plate...

eternal21
02/23/2014, 01:56 PM
What does it screw into? Pics?

JoFotoz
02/23/2014, 02:17 PM
Nice... :thumbup:

Looks really good, so I took a look under the ORW to get an idea of clearance...

..... and I think its just fine, it does kind of 'tuck up' in there.

Worth a try, and easy to remove for Off roading if needs be.

Thanks for the pic

Jo

JoFotoz
04/27/2014, 02:39 PM
Just fitted mine....

Easy job ... maybe 20 mins or so.

Steering seems lighter... maybe just smoother.

Tucked up nicely out of (most!!) harms way :smack:

Moab will be the real test :eek:

jo

eternal21
07/09/2014, 10:02 PM
JMoab will be the real test :eek:

How'd it go?

JoFotoz
07/10/2014, 10:48 AM
No issues at all..

How'd it go?

...however, I did more sand/fast dirt road this year , rather than rock...
...so it didnt get subject to the usual intense rock attacks!

To be honest, I didnt feel much - if any difference...
...and dont feel a difference on normal road driving.

Jo

vxcp
07/10/2014, 11:54 AM
I installed the indy4x stabilizer and HD tie rods a few weeks ago. Seems that the stabilizer and HD tie rods have helped considerably with bump steer issues I was having.

Edit: Felt that was the case initially. After further use I'd say the stabilizer still leaves me wanting.