PDA

View Full Version : ot RCA wires

zadam123
11/15/2003, 12:21 PM
Due to my recient vandelism i hooked up survalence cameras outside my window but need to run the wires about 150 feet to my vcr.

does anyone know if this is possible, I cant find a place that has that much feet in an RCA set up, I was told i can buy wire and the RCA connectors and do it myself but it probably wont work cause the signal wont go that far.

any ideas?

adam

Apostle
11/15/2003, 02:09 PM
hey, i do sec cams for a living.

your cam has rca plugs on the back? or is it a hand held video cam?

most cctv will use either a coax or rj-11 (telephone) jack. which are easily fabricated. as far as rca goes, its the same concept as coax, just a dif connector. in other words, wire is wire.

as far as making the signal go farther, here what you do: go rca to coax pigtail. then bring the coax into a signal amplifier, you can get this at best buy in the satelite section (dish). from there run your coax to the vcr and then use another pigtail to split it back into rca. whatever comes out has to go in. motto that helps with vcrs and cams.

if you need some more info let me know

Hotsauce
11/15/2003, 03:49 PM
Mount the cam on your rifle. get remote pan/swivel base, and you can pick them off from the comfort of your chair.

John C.

"Hold up a pack of cigaretts"

WyrreJ
11/15/2003, 04:33 PM
www.partsexpress.com is a good place to find various components.

zadam123
11/15/2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Apostle
hey, i do sec cams for a living.

your cam has rca plugs on the back? or is it a hand held video cam?

most cctv will use either a coax or rj-11 (telephone) jack. which are easily fabricated. as far as rca goes, its the same concept as coax, just a dif connector. in other words, wire is wire.

as far as making the signal go farther, here what you do: go rca to coax pigtail. then bring the coax into a signal amplifier, you can get this at best buy in the satelite section (dish). from there run your coax to the vcr and then use another pigtail to split it back into rca. whatever comes out has to go in. motto that helps with vcrs and cams.

if you need some more info let me know

the camera has BNC conector on the back and so does the VCR (its a time lapse vcr) someone also said if i go from the BNC and get some cable wire and put BNC connecters on that it should work? any thoughts?\

thanks

adam

Apostle
11/15/2003, 06:17 PM
ah ha,

yeah, ive never seen a cam with rca :)

yup, bnc to bnc is what you want. also, on the back of the cam, is there a small black box with two terminals on it? if so you will need a 12v/24v transformer to power it.

those cameras, more than likely a phillips?, can go 300' before signal loss/interuption/degradation occurs.

phillips is on the high end of the makers

post pics of back of cam if you can, and also of VCR

but, bnc connectors you can get at radio shack. the cable is plain coax, you can get that at best buy, or radio shack. if you cant get a 150' section, get the highest you can get, and use barrel connectors. if your going to use more than one cable, make sure its got a hard jacket and a good shield. some coax comes with a 10 wire shield, which braids, if i recal 1 complete braid every 3 inches, but a good shield has 15+ wires with a complete braid every 1/4 inch. more of a braid, the less signal degradation

zadam123
11/15/2003, 08:07 PM
thanks

heres a link to my camera and stats. its the second one from the top with the infer red. http://www.spycameras4less.com/html/infrared_waterproof.html
I even bought it from them, Not bad prices and quick delevery,

Heres another question you may be able to help me on, i bought a camera heres the link to the same onei bought on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059036256&category=14957
This camera sais its good for 2000 feet line of sight , it works pretty good considering its going up 3 floors but every once in a while the picture has static then goes clear again but my quad prosessor alarms telling me lost signal and waking me up, is there any way i can boost the signal up just a little bit more?

adam

Apostle
11/15/2003, 08:46 PM
rarely do i work with wireless cams, the reason being they are unreliable at best.

if its an intermitant signal loss, the reasons could be numerous: battery failure, corroded contacts, rf interferance, receiver malfunction due to: same as above, overheating, to name a few. in order to boost signal you will have to have a stronger transmitter.

Think of a cordless phone, it can only go so far from the house, and even then you can get a bad channel one day and a good the next, in the same spot of the yard your standing in.

you also have to remeber LOS means nothing in the way, you have three floors of concrete, not to mention wood, steel and electrical lines (interior lines). Concrete is a pain to get a signal through, and steel is even worse.

also, the cam is posted as 800 mW, never heard of that, mW i assume is mega watts and any signal is going to be using megaherts, just like the phone, but the phone is 900+ now adays

hope that helps

p.s. also, could be the transmitter has to resync with the receiver every couple of hours. is it a constant thing, that happens at roughly the same time every day? if so that may be your case, but with that small of a unit, i doubt thats it

zadam123
11/16/2003, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all you help, ill check and see if it happens at the same time.

adam

WyrreJ
11/16/2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Apostle

also, the cam is posted as 800 mW, never heard of that, mW i assume is mega watts and any signal is going to be using megaherts, just like the phone, but the phone is 900+ now adays

That's milliwatts (small letter indicates the less than 1 units, big letter means greater than 1) which indicates signal strength. I don't know enought to say if 0.8 watts is "enough" but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

The specs also say 1.2GHz for the actual frequency. 2.4GHz conflicts with microwave ovens but 1.2GHz ought to be out of that range. However, if there are other 1.2GHz transmitters near by you are going to get some amount of interference with them.

Apostle
11/16/2003, 09:48 AM
kewl, didnt read too much into the cam, LOL it isnt something we would use. not the best cam on the market :thumbdn:

zadam123
11/16/2003, 04:27 PM
Yeh its not the best on the market but it is the smalest ive seen and for the $10 i paid for it i am verry happy, it does work great concedering it is working up 3 floors. just have to deal with some static every once in a while.

BTW the times the static happens isnt the same time everytime so it may just be interfearance. O'well just have to deal with that, i figured out how to turn the alarm off on the quad so no i can sleep

thanks for all you help

adam