PDA

View Full Version : About to by a 1999 vx

Joksters11
01/13/2014, 10:40 AM
It has 200,000 miles on it. Is there anything I need to make sure of before I buy it

Mile High VX
01/13/2014, 12:09 PM
This should help you...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=25134

Riff Raff
01/13/2014, 03:17 PM
My best advice is to procede with caution and patience, and don't buy the very first VX you see without first doing your homework. Don't be afraid to buy "long distance" (on-line) for the perfect VX (i.e. favorite color, favorite production year, etc).

If after searching on-line for the perfect VX, consider the following steps:

A. Contact a local fellow member (from the member list) that lives near the VX that's for sale. He/she can then do a hands-on inspection on your behalf and report back to you if it's worth further consideration. Use the VX-KAT "checklist" during initial inspection.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=261869&postcount=10

B. Have the VX shipped via www.DependableAutoShippers.com (D.A.S.).

C. If you do decide to buy long distance (on-line), be sure to use www.Escrow.com as the monetary conduit to conduct the transaction. It will give you a 3-day inspection period to either "accept" or "reject" the purchase. During the 3-day inspection period-- have a certified mechanic in your hometown check-out the VX to help with your final decision.

:bgwb:

Triathlete
01/13/2014, 05:10 PM
Find out when the timing belt/water pump and tensionee were last changed. With 200k on the clock it is due for its second. They are good for about 100000.

RodL
01/19/2014, 03:39 PM
I bought a 1999 a year ago last December. Knew it needed a new Radiator and thought it just needed the A/C recharged. Well the radiator was changed but the A/C needed the condenser under the dash replaced. Did that, got an new stereo, but then found a power Steering leak. Kept the reservoir full until spring when I bought all new hoses and was going to have them installed. Found holes in my ball joint boots, tried to change the ball joints myself but didn't get it done so had the front end rebuilt (with new axle shafts upper and lower ball joints) and the hoses replaced. Still have the Power steering leak. Found the shocks needed attention and replace all 4 of them. Now have some bushings in the torsion bars that need replaced. Sounds like a lot eh????

Well it is. So far I haven't had too much problem finding the parts. I was able to fix a door latch issue myself and do my own oil changes. Have a place in Miami that works on my transmission. I could have a new car for what I have paid for the VX and the parts, but I wouldn't have a VX. I want a VX so I pay the price.

Rod

Triathlete
01/19/2014, 04:30 PM
Shouldn't be any bushings in the torsion bars. Maybe the control arms or sway bars? If sway bars they are pretty inexpensive if the conrol ams parts are not to expensive but labor is!