PDA

View Full Version : St Charles online Parts Catalog is dead :(

tysamigo
01/09/2014, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if this is known yet... but I tried St Charles' site for parts and this is what I got...

http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

I saw someone else talk about it on www.planetisuzoo.com and checked for myself...

:noo:

I'm over here freaking out ... I mean it knew that it's inevitable... but...

Scott Larson
01/09/2014, 06:40 AM
:freek:

tysamigo
01/09/2014, 06:48 AM
It gets worse... I just talked with them... I'm looking for a new set of headlights and he said they are "0" sets in the U.S. and they are listed as backorder, however he said "I can't really talk much about details, but we all knew this was coming and it looks like a REALLY BIG BLOW to the Isuzu community just happened. The support literally dwindled to almost nothing just in the last few weeks. The main reason is that Isuzu was waiting for the last of the warranties and extended warranties to run out, and they did at the first of the year. So now it looks like this is probably the end. Whatever is left in stock, that's it...no more. And any "backorder" items are VERY LIKELY to never make it and MANY more parts are now listed as "discontinued" just recently".

:madb:

Scott Larson
01/09/2014, 06:54 AM
Time to pick up that second VX as a donor car, it's all downhill from here...

tysamigo
01/09/2014, 06:55 AM
Since headlights, front grill, cladding, etc. are VERY COMMON parts to have to replace (accidents, chips/dings, etc.), AND because of the fact that there is still a pretty lively group of VX owners... is it remotely possible that SOMEHOW we can find a solution (aside from junkyards)??? Does anyone have contacts with ANYONE from Isuzu that would have schematics, or other info that a company would need to recreate some of this stuff??? Is there ANY WAY AT ALL?

I have spent 2 freakin years and almost $45,000 on my VX (vx, motor, paint, mods, tools, memorabilia, etc.) and I still don't have it on the road yet. I didn't come this far to leave it sit in a garage because I'm scared of someone hitting me on the road....

I am SERIOUSLY distraught over this. For real... my stomach is doing flips

:mad:

Lfen
01/09/2014, 08:09 AM
Lehman vehicross has the same Schematics that St. Charles used, but having the parts is another question. But at least you can find the part #'s you need.

Cobrajet
01/09/2014, 10:30 AM
I ordered a new front bumper bar and a fuel filter online in November, and the order has been in "Processing" status ever since. I assumed that meant back-order, but it probably meant, "we really don't give a $#!!". I never did call because it wasn't a high priority and it was one of those "If I get it fine, if not... oh, well" kind of things. Oh, well...

tom4bren
01/09/2014, 11:03 AM
I ordered a new front bumper bar and a fuel filter online in November, and the order has been in "Processing" status ever since. I assumed that meant back-order, but it probably meant, "we really don't give a $#!!". I never did call because it wasn't a high priority and it was one of those "If I get it fine, if not... oh, well" kind of things. Oh, well...

Dubl G,

There's an Isuzu truck place on Rt 1 in Lorton. I need to stop in there on my way home one day to see if they can order VX parts.

Supposedly Liberty Truck in F'burg can still order parts for them as well ... but I haven't actually tried them (2 years ago they said they could get me OEM half shafts).

Tom

evillecutter
01/09/2014, 11:05 AM
so does this make our trucks worth more or less? lol looks like we ARE the stock for parts now

wasnt there a member starting a vx/isuzu warehouse in his garage?

tysamigo
01/09/2014, 02:47 PM
...wasnt there a member starting a vx/isuzu warehouse in his garage?

That's a great idea!! I have the space, just need the money to start it up by buying junkyard parts, online parts, etc. On the family property we have a 5000 square feet (50' x 125') "warehouse" that is currently only used for farm machinery equipment and most of it is empty. There is warehouse shelving (all 4 walls, and some isles of shelving), 2 forklifts, pallet jacks, etc. There's even separate men/women's restroom, breakroom, heat, music, etc. It's really nice. I wouldn't mind running something like that, especially since I will NEVER sell my VX. If anything I will buy another (w/better MPG) car and store the VX but never sell it. I'm hooked.

Just sayin...

Scott Harness
01/09/2014, 03:24 PM
:freek: X2
Took mine in Monday.CV boot was torn(just recently so joint was still in perfect shape)They usually just trade out the whole half-shaft,quicker and easier,but THIS time they couldn't find one:(:confused: So they replaced the boots like in the old days. Works great! just pay more in labor:madb:

PK
01/09/2014, 04:35 PM
Strange that this is happening in the USA, when Isuzu are spending a fortune in Australia by being the major sponsor of, and continuous advertising during, the daily highlights of the Dakar Rally. Admittely it is only a 30 minute show, but it is prime time and daily at the moment.
They are really pushing the "MUX" 4wd 4 door wagon. You can see some semblance of the old "MU" and the VX in the styling.

PK

tom4bren
01/10/2014, 05:16 AM
X2
Took mine in Monday.CV boot was torn(just recently so joint was still in perfect shape)They usually just trade out the whole half-shaft,quicker and easier,but THIS time they couldn't find one:(:confused: So they replaced the boots like in the old days. Works great! just pay more in labor:madb:

Color me confused.

If you follow the boot replacement process in the How2 section, 'boot only' replacement labor is about 1/2 of half shaft swap.

evillecutter
01/10/2014, 06:05 AM
X2

im proud to say that as a very amateur mechanic i changed all 4 boots myself (the second two i had an extra set of hands making it much easier) - when i called places to ask if they could do it for me noone would even consider it unless i bought new axles - could not find anyone (at an actual business) that would change just the boots

side note: im pretty sure ldub found an aftermarket axle replacement from suretrak that seem to be doing well for people as a replacement for stock

WormGod
01/10/2014, 07:14 AM

In the exact same boat with bumper reinforcement. My drivers side completely rusted through and broke away. Was hoping to replace but "pending" now sounds more like "wish list". :(

evillecutter
01/10/2014, 07:30 AM
Strange that this is happening in the USA, when Isuzu are spending a fortune in Australia by being the major sponsor of, and continuous advertising during, the daily highlights of the Dakar Rally. Admittely it is only a 30 minute show, but it is prime time and daily at the moment.
They are really pushing the "MUX" 4wd 4 door wagon. You can see some semblance of the old "MU" and the VX in the styling.

PK

australia makes some awesome cars:

http://worldcarslist.com/images/hsv/hsv-maloo-r8-317/hsv-maloo-r8-317-01.jpg

JAMAS
01/10/2014, 07:45 AM
australia makes some awesome cars:

http://worldcarslist.com/images/hsv/hsv-maloo-r8-317/hsv-maloo-r8-317-01.jpg

We did it first....:)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/1968_El_Camino.jpg

evillecutter
01/10/2014, 08:00 AM
lol yeah but we dont anymore!!! plus only a very few el caminos had over 400hp from the factory

always been a fan of el caminos - the maloo is like an updated version - not sold in the us

JAMAS
01/10/2014, 08:22 AM
lol yeah but we dont anymore!!! plus only a very few el caminos had over 400hp from the factory

always been a fan of el caminos - the maloo is like an updated version - not sold in the us

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs40/PRE/f/2009/007/4/0/2010_Chevrolet_El_Camino_by_degraafm.jpg

Cobrajet
01/10/2014, 08:28 AM
In the exact same boat with bumper reinforcement. My drivers side completely rusted through and broke away. Was hoping to replace but "pending" now sounds more like "wish list". :(

You may be in luck. I just got off the phone will Phil. It seems that my "on-line" order in November fell into a giant hole because the web site company was "off-line" for a week or so, and orders never got transferred to St. Charles for processing. Phil did some research and said that there were TWO bumper reinforcement bars still in the country, and I ordered one for the on-line price of $275. "Should be to you within a week." If you want the last one, better call FAST!!

Scott Harness
01/10/2014, 08:39 AM
Color me confused.

If you follow the boot replacement process in the How2 section, 'boot only' replacement labor is about 1/2 of half shaft swap.

Well...I never work on my own cars...too much trouble...no tools ect
Plus I have to keep my hands purdy and soft lol being a massage therapist
But like Evilcutter said most places won't do boots.
That was the first time in 10 years somebody did the boots!

evillecutter
01/10/2014, 08:52 AM
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs40/PRE/f/2009/007/4/0/2010_Chevrolet_El_Camino_by_degraafm.jpg

camaramino? lol are they really selling these or is this a one off?

blacksambo
01/11/2014, 10:49 PM
This was bound to happen, sooner or later. For those with '99's it's been a great fifteen years. Now, sally forth, just like the multitudes of Alfa Romeo owners have done....until now. Alfa's return is nigh....rejoice!

WormGod
01/13/2014, 07:09 AM
You may be in luck. I just got off the phone will Phil. It seems that my "on-line" order in November fell into a giant hole because the web site company was "off-line" for a week or so, and orders never got transferred to St. Charles for processing. Phil did some research and said that there were TWO bumper reinforcement bars still in the country, and I ordered one for the on-line price of $275. "Should be to you within a week." If you want the last one, better call FAST!!

I actually ordered mine through Scarff ISUZU. Almost 90% of my parts in the past came through them. Never had a single issue. I will contact them today and see what's up with the order.

blacksambo
01/13/2014, 09:15 PM
I actually ordered mine through Scarff ISUZU. Almost 90% of my parts in the past came through them. Never had a single

issue. I will contact them today and see what's up with the order.

Thanks for the tip. Seems this parts alarm was false?

Lfen
01/13/2014, 09:49 PM
Just tried to order the headlight seals from Scarff last Thursday, received Email today stating they are no longer available and that the Manufacturer has discontinued them!

WormGod
01/14/2014, 09:50 AM
Scarff sent an email yesterday shortly after my post saying that my order has been shipped. Did not provide a tracking # though. Guess we shall soon see.

evillecutter
01/14/2014, 01:27 PM
good news for me i guess - if it doesnt sell parting it out just became MUCH more profitable

tysamigo
01/15/2014, 07:16 AM
UPDATE:

I called the only official Isuzu Dealer/Service Center here in Louisville KY. I ended up speaking with Will (Parts Dept, Assistant Manager) for about 30 minutes about Isuzu. To sum it up, he said (similar to Phil's story) that Isuzu was waiting for some warranties to run out before they pull out. He said that most dealers across the country, knowing that Isuzu was leaving, started the process of purging Isuzu data out of their system (for the slower dealers/service centers). Also at some point (I think he said 2 or 3 yrs ago) GM purchased all parts, rights, design, etc. for all domestic vehicles 2004 and older. He said that currently some select dealers will be able to offer "limited service/part options" to heavy duty commercial vehicles but there won't be many and that ALL domestic stuff is now owned by GM. I've phoned a couple friends here in the group that I thought may be able to help investigate this info. I'm still investigating. I really twisted his arm on where we can still get new parts and he said that his main parts warehouse was in Auroa IL. He said when he was not able to get them from there, they would order straight from Isuzu Korea and he says they are still active, however they can no longer issue PO's for any of these warehouses and that the "limited parts" for commercial vehicles was coming from a U.S. warehouse which he wouldn't share the info with me. He also told me that a few times that Isuzu Korea would be low on stock and they had a warehouse in Equador drop ship the parts. He said when parts came from Equador that the boxes would always be "double labeled with GM" so that there was yet another middle man (GM) in there somewhere. He told me although he cannot give me any more info than he has, that it shouldn't be difficult by using the internet to find contact names for any of these warehouses... however I have not yet started looking. I just wanted to throw this info out there.

Oh yeah, I told him that I really appreciate his help and that the next time he's out in my neck of the woods to stop by and I will treat him to lunch at my place (our family's bbq restaurant). You could tell he was VERY excited and he said "yea, in fact I've been wanting to try that any way, I think I'll bring my crew out there for our next meeting, is that ok?" And before we hung up he said... Tyler I tell you what, If you do find yourself stuck in a corner after doing research...give me a call and I'll be glad to help.

Oh yea... he also gave me the name of a guy locally who was his "last resort" when he couldn't find a part. I called him and asked for a quote on a passenger headlight. He said, "how about $275... it's got a haze to it but we'll buff that out for ya". Of course since that's a cheap price, I went out to www.car-part.com to look for myself and found a couple that were listed at $225 and $215 and both had a description of "hazy" or "foggy". So I'm not sure if this guy is something special OR that he just knows a couple of sites like car-part.com and marks up a price for being a middle man.

Just wanted to throw all this out there in my ongoing search for us all to have continuing access to parts...

Cobrajet
01/15/2014, 12:13 PM
My new bumper reinforcement arrived today. Looks purdy! Really gonna make my VX stand out from the crowd. I imagine it will reduce my aerodynamic drag substantially, and increase my gas mileage by at least .06%. I'll take pictures of my naked VX during install (next warm weekend)...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93725352/VX%20bumper%20bar%20003.JPG

VX KAT
01/15/2014, 02:55 PM
My new bumper reinforcement arrived today. Looks purdy! Really gonna make my VX stand out from the crowd. I imagine it will reduce my aerodynamic drag substantially, and increase my gas mileage by at least .06%. I'll take pictures of my naked VX during install (next warm weekend)...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93725352/VX%20bumper%20bar%20003.JPG

hey, we gotta help T4B get that udder bumper bar, cuz he can add .06% MPG to his .03% drop in throttle response and then he'll get.....um, oh h3!!, I don't know what he'll get :confused: .... but it sounds important!

blacksambo
01/15/2014, 07:56 PM
UPDATE:

I called the only official Isuzu Dealer/Service Center here in Louisville KY. I ended up speaking with Will (Parts Dept, Assistant Manager) for about 30 minutes about Isuzu. To sum it up, he said (similar to Phil's story) that Isuzu was waiting for some warranties to run out before they pull out. He said that most dealers across the country, knowing that Isuzu was leaving, started the process of purging Isuzu data out of their system (for the slower dealers/service centers). Also at some point (I think he said 2 or 3 yrs ago) GM purchased all parts, rights, design, etc. for all domestic vehicles 2004 and older. He said that currently some select dealers will be able to offer "limited service/part options" to heavy duty commercial vehicles but there won't be many and that ALL domestic stuff is now owned by GM. I've phoned a couple friends here in the group that I thought may be able to help investigate this info. I'm still investigating. I really twisted his arm on where we can still get new parts and he said that his main parts warehouse was in Auroa IL. He said when he was not able to get them from there, they would order straight from Isuzu Korea and he says they are still active, however they can no longer issue PO's for any of these warehouses and that the "limited parts" for commercial vehicles was coming from a U.S. warehouse which he wouldn't share the info with me. He also told me that a few times that Isuzu Korea would be low on stock and they had a warehouse in Equador drop ship the parts. He said when parts came from Equador that the boxes would always be "double labeled with GM" so that there was yet another middle man (GM) in there somewhere. He told me although he cannot give me any more info than he has, that it shouldn't be difficult by using the internet to find contact names for any of these warehouses... however I have not yet started looking. I just wanted to throw this info out there.

Oh yeah, I told him that I really appreciate his help and that the next time he's out in my neck of the woods to stop by and I will treat him to lunch at my place (our family's bbq restaurant). You could tell he was VERY excited and he said "yea, in fact I've been wanting to try that any way, I think I'll bring my crew out there for our next meeting, is that ok?" And before we hung up he said... Tyler I tell you what, If you do find yourself stuck in a corner after doing research...give me a call and I'll be glad to help.

Oh yea... he also gave me the name of a guy locally who was his "last resort" when he couldn't find a part. I called him and asked for a quote on a passenger headlight. He said, "how about $275... it's got a haze to it but we'll buff that out for ya". Of course since that's a cheap price, I went out to www.car-part.com to look for myself and found a couple that were listed at $225 and $215 and both had a description of "hazy" or "foggy". So I'm not sure if this guy is something special OR that he just knows a couple of sites like car-part.com and marks up a price for being a middle man.

Just wanted to throw all this out there in my ongoing search for us all to have continuing access to parts...

Thanks for the homework; sounds like all is not lost. GM seems to have stepped in on the remaining inventory.

tom4bren
01/16/2014, 04:59 AM
hey, we gotta help T4B get that udder bumper bar, cuz he can add .06% MPG to his .03% drop in throttle response and then he'll get.....um, oh h3!!, I don't know what he'll get :confused: .... but it sounds important!

Yah, I'll make me one outta aluminum foam, install a 'lectric fan, finish the crossover tube & the performance will increase to the point the VX is putting money back into my wallet.:smack:

tysamigo
01/16/2014, 05:45 AM
The family business is calling my name, I'll be tied up for a while again...so my research will slow dramatically for now... but my the idea is to:

1. Try to find one or more of these warehouses and establish a contact. Maybe someone at one of these places could point into the direction of who to contact at GM

2. Try to find either someone in the group here (that maybe doesn't post much) or outside the group (like a dealer, parts guy, "redee guy",etc) that could help lead us to a contact at GM that is responsible for the Isuzu stuff acquired by GM.

evillecutter
01/16/2014, 06:19 AM
when i talked to isuzu last october they told me all the same info about gm owning all the rights (on my post about transfer case issues)

the bad news is gm is not going to be making ANY new parts they cant make money on - unfortunately for us that includes most if not all of the major components of the vehicross

we are not a big enough customer base for most companies to care about - including general motors

BigSwede
01/16/2014, 06:43 AM
Too bad the VX isn't like the DeLorean, where they made enough parts for 35,000 cars but only sold 9,000...

WormGod
01/16/2014, 06:53 AM
We are the redheaded stepchildren of the car world. And I'm not just talking to you Foxfires out there. :p

Scott Larson
01/16/2014, 07:17 AM
We are the redheaded stepchildren of the car world. And I'm not just talking to you Foxfires out there. :p

So that's why the previous owner of my #1033 Foxfire had it painted gunmetal metallic, tired of gettin' beat! Poor Foxfires...:_crying:

WormGod
01/16/2014, 01:27 PM
Just got my front bumper reinforcement.

FWIW, it was shipped from this address....

American Isuzu Parts Distribution Network
5265 E Provident Dr
Cincinnati, OH 45246

Just in case someone on the private eye trail wants to research their process in the scheme of things.

blacksambo
01/16/2014, 02:56 PM
Just got my front bumper reinforcement.

FWIW, it was shipped from this address....

American Isuzu Parts Distribution Network
5265 E Provident Dr
Cincinnati, OH 45246

Just in case someone on the private eye trail wants to research their process in the scheme of things.

This is where my parts have come from for years. Yes, when an item runs low in the USA they will back order to Japan. When those run out it's over, so grab body and trim stuff now. The mechanical is largely Trooper, they made hundreds of thousand of those and the parts may never run dry.

tysamigo
01/27/2014, 12:51 PM
Just got a call on my cell from Phil at St. Charles. He said effective as of today, they are no longer an Isuzu Dealer (which I knew was coming)...but the shocking thing is that...

ALL PENDING ORDERS HAVE BEEN AUTOMATICALLY PUT IN CANCELLED STATUS AND CANNOT BE REOPENED.

I had a few things that were "Back Ordered" but not discontinued (which means likely that I will "eventually" get the part), but now St. Charles' system has purged ALL remaining/pending orders to a cancelled state.

He was very nice and apologetic, but that's it. No more parts or assistance from St. Charles even if you've paid for and ordered a back ordered part. I'm assuming that if the part was "in stock" that you will still get it, but outside of that... it's a wrap...game over.

If you have an order from them, I would call to make sure that you get CREDIT back to your card, which is what I just did.

blacksambo
01/27/2014, 08:03 PM
I'll see if my local dealer is still taking orders. I suggest others try as well. Thx

evillecutter
01/28/2014, 06:39 AM
so.... does anyone speak japanese?....

tom4bren
01/28/2014, 06:53 AM
Just got a call on my cell from Phil at St. Charles. He said effective as of today, they are no longer an Isuzu Dealer (which I knew was coming)...but the shocking thing is that...

ALL PENDING ORDERS HAVE BEEN AUTOMATICALLY PUT IN CANCELLED STATUS AND CANNOT BE REOPENED.

I had a few things that were "Back Ordered" but not discontinued (which means likely that I will "eventually" get the part), but now St. Charles' system has purged ALL remaining/pending orders to a cancelled state.

He was very nice and apologetic, but that's it. No more parts or assistance from St. Charles even if you've paid for and ordered a back ordered part. I'm assuming that if the part was "in stock" that you will still get it, but outside of that... it's a wrap...game over.

If you have an order from them, I would call to make sure that you get CREDIT back to your card, which is what I just did.

Ty,

IIRC, St Charles only hit your credit card when they shipped the part to you, they didn't hit it when the part was back ordered. I'm like the Dubster tho, memory T'ain't what it usta be.

Tom

WormGod
01/28/2014, 06:54 AM
I'll see if my local dealer is still taking orders. I suggest others try as well. Thx

You still have local dealers? Huh.... I haven't had one around here for about 6-8 years. :(

nocturnalVX
01/28/2014, 07:31 AM
Some former ISUZU dealers kept the authorized service/parts status after they stopped selling vehicles. My go to place now is a Dodge/Jeep dealer...

evillecutter
01/28/2014, 10:53 AM
Some former ISUZU dealers kept the authorized service/parts status after they stopped selling vehicles. My go to place now is a Dodge/Jeep dealer...

i think that was only because isuzu had to honor the warranties still active - now that they are gone so is isuzu and all of the usa parts vendors that could help us

tom4bren
01/28/2014, 11:19 AM
I just checked with an Isuzu truck dealer. They can not order parts for cars & light trucks (only heavy duty). Crap!!!

vt_maverick
01/28/2014, 12:01 PM
I think the value of VX's with blown engines or transmissions just doubled.

blacksambo
01/28/2014, 12:29 PM
Here's the deal. GM sold their rights to the parts instantly once they got control. A new outfit controls the parts and I suspect it' s the folks in Cincinnati. My local GM dealer Della in Glens Falls, N.Y. 518-793-3871 can and will order parts, if available. Tim is the parts guy. IsuzuParts.com, Andy can and will order parts ,as well. So there you have it all is not lost. They are not making any more parts but if in inventory, no problem.

tysamigo
01/28/2014, 06:13 PM
Here's the deal. GM sold their rights to the parts instantly once they got control. A new outfit controls the parts and I suspect it' s the folks in Cincinnati. My local GM dealer Della in Glens Falls, N.Y. 518-793-3871 can and will order parts, if available. Tim is the parts guy. IsuzuParts.com, Andy can and will order parts ,as well. So there you have it all is not lost. They are not making any more parts but if in inventory, no problem.

WOW... that's good. I called Tim but it was to late, I'll try again tomorrow. On another note...

Is there anyone up in Cincinnati that could drive to the physical address and find out what's going on? It's 1.5 hrs from my house. I mean... if no one else does, hell ... I'll go up there but if someone else already lives there or closeby...just throwing that out there

blacksambo
01/28/2014, 08:09 PM
Good idea. I think any info those guys can provide would be invaluable.

WormGod
01/29/2014, 07:02 AM
My VX has just under 63k miles. Maybe I should just shrink wrap it and stick it in the garage. Nevermind selling it as a rare gem one day.... selling the parts off it would probably yield a 10X profit. ;)

evillecutter
01/29/2014, 07:30 AM
I think the value of VX's with blown engines or transmissions just doubled.

my thoughts exactly

thats just it - its going to be the same almost depleted inventory that the "isuzu" warehouses had (owned by gm for the past 7 years or so)

on the plus side most of our parts are from other vehicles and will continue to be made just like they are now and we can get them from any auto parts suppliers

its the vehicross specific parts that are now unattainable unless they are off of another vx or someone finds out how to get ahold of the plant in fugisawa and see what they still have on their shelves - i very much doubt if anyone at general motors will help us with this but its worth a shot if someone wants to start knocking on doors

either way the vehicross just became worthless or priceless, depending on who you are and how you look at it

blacksambo
01/29/2014, 08:31 AM
GM is no longer involved in the remaining inventory. But our mechanical /electrical parts fit many GM vehicles. We need the crossover parts manual. Now there's a project.

VXobsession
01/29/2014, 09:58 AM
I think it's absolutely awful that so many are interested in the value of their VX since parts are getting harder to get....
....keep in mind, we're talking about COSMETICS that will be hard to get. Everything under the hood is completely replaceable.
Why are some of you so quick to part out your VX or even be concerned about it's value doubling? Personally, if there's a very slim chance I couldn't afford or have the resources or means to fix a mechanical problem with my VX, then I'd consider selling it as a whole to someone who wanted to FIX it. I understand if it's wrecked and you can't get body panels for it....but to part one out with a bad engine just because the value of the cosmetic parts went through the roof...???? I just don't get it. The history and rarity of my awesome VX and preserving the vehicle as a whole means much more to me than a dollar...
I'm just shocked at the casual "parting-out" or just trashing at a junk yard that I've seen.

vt_maverick
01/29/2014, 10:34 AM
That's a nice sentiment and all but it's hardly practical, in fact I'd say it's exactly backwards from the right logic. Let's explore the options for someone with a blown engine but no cosmetic issues:

Buy an engine for $1-3K+ depending on whether you go new/aftermarket/used

If you're mechanically inclined do the work yourself
For 99% of owners who are not that mechanically inclined, spend $2K or more at a shop

Sell it "as a whole to someone who wanted to FIX it"

Finding a non-owner who is willing to buy a car that they're completely unfamiliar with and which has zero factory support will be nearly impossible, and they'll give you practically nothing for it
Finding someone who currently has or previously had a VX gives you a better chance at a higher sales price, but finding someone already contending with one rare vehicle who has the spare change to buy yours will be very difficult

Part out the cosmetic pieces and any major healthy mechanicals (transmission for example) and crush the rest

Cosmetic pieces will only increase in value from here on, to the point that shipping costs will be less relevant in relation to the sales price itself. In other words a national market emerges, driving up prices.
Selling the vehicle for parts or parting it out yourself will cost nothing out of pocket and bring you far more than selling it with a blown engine
Selling your cosmetic pieces helps keep other VX's in circulation. It's a zero sum game now that parts are unavailable, so refusing to part out your VX's cosmetic pieces just forces another VX owner to either drive around with permanent damage or junk their truck instead. The bottom line is that part-outs are the ONLY thing that will keep our community in existence over the long haul, with the sole exception of those VX's that remain "garage queens."

I share your sentiment in wanting to see as many VX's live on as possible - I just think part-outs, rather than whole-truck sales to well-intended mechanics, are what will keep us going.

evillecutter
01/29/2014, 11:12 AM
GM is no longer involved in the remaining inventory. But our mechanical /electrical parts fit many GM vehicles. We need the crossover parts manual. Now there's a project.

this would be extremely helpful

evillecutter
01/29/2014, 11:15 AM
That's a nice sentiment and all but it's hardly practical, in fact I'd say it's exactly backwards from the right logic. Let's explore the options for someone with a blown engine but no cosmetic issues:

Buy an engine for $1-3K+ depending on whether you go new/aftermarket/used

If you're mechanically inclined do the work yourself
For 99% of owners who are not that mechanically inclined, spend $2K or more at a shop

Sell it "as a whole to someone who wanted to FIX it"

Finding a non-owner who is willing to buy a car that they're completely unfamiliar with and which has zero factory support will be nearly impossible, and they'll give you practically nothing for it
Finding someone who currently has or previously had a VX gives you a better chance at a higher sales price, but finding someone already contending with one rare vehicle who has the spare change to buy yours will be very difficult

Part out the cosmetic pieces and any major healthy mechanicals (transmission for example) and crush the rest

Cosmetic pieces will only increase in value from here on, to the point that shipping costs will be less relevant in relation to the sales price itself. In other words a national market emerges, driving up prices.
Selling the vehicle for parts or parting it out yourself will cost nothing out of pocket and bring you far more than selling it with a blown engine
Selling your cosmetic pieces helps keep other VX's in circulation. It's a zero sum game now that parts are unavailable, so refusing to part out your VX's cosmetic pieces just forces another VX owner to either drive around with permanent damage or junk their truck instead. The bottom line is that part-outs are the ONLY thing that will keep our community in existence over the long haul, with the sole exception of those VX's that remain "garage queens."

I share your sentiment in wanting to see as many VX's live on as possible - I just think part-outs, rather than whole-truck sales to well-intended mechanics, are what will keep us going.

very well said

blacksambo
01/30/2014, 12:10 PM
Another idea! How about getting in touch with our JDM folks in Japan and source our parts direct from the master warehouse? Shipping is very fast these days I got ISUZU parts from China in four days!!!

evillecutter
01/30/2014, 12:47 PM
Another idea! How about getting in touch with our JDM folks in Japan and source our parts direct from the master warehouse? Shipping is very fast these days I got ISUZU parts from China in four days!!!

this is why i asked if anyone knew japanese...

plant/warehouse supposidely located in fugisawa japan

chinese hook up must be a distributer - maybe they can help?

blacksambo
01/31/2014, 10:13 PM
We have some JDM owners in the Pacific rim on this site perhaps they could help?

PK
02/01/2014, 03:33 PM
Cannot help from Australia, even though Isuzu are building up their presence here.
The VX is a "grey import" here, and they won't get parts even if you go in with the part numbers.
If it fits some other Isuzu, no problems.

I think we need a direct contact in Japan - perhaps a friendly English speaking Parts Manager at one of the Isuzu dealerships.

PK

blacksambo
02/03/2014, 08:10 PM
Cannot help from Australia, even though Isuzu are building up their presence here.
The VX is a "grey import" here, and they won't get parts even if you go in with the part numbers.
If it fits some other Isuzu, no problems.

I think we need a direct contact in Japan - perhaps a friendly English speaking Parts Manager at one of the Isuzu dealerships.

PK

Thanks PK. I like your thinking and advice. So......is there someone from Japan watching out there who would volunteer to help us? We are very polite, nice folks just looking to keep our VX's running/ looking OEM- beautiful style.

evillecutter
02/04/2014, 07:03 AM
Wata****achi ga dete kuruma no buhin o mitsukeru no ni yakudatsu kanōsei ga soko ni Nihon kigyō ga vehicross no fan ga sonzai suru baai, wareware wa hijō ni anata ga wata****achi o ataeru koto ga dekiru nin'i no herupu o onegai mōshiagemasu!!

evillecutter
02/04/2014, 07:05 AM
that was suypposed to be an s.o.s. in japanese ^

apparently the slang work for feces is a big part of the japanese language that vx.info does not recognize

Mile High VX
02/28/2014, 06:45 PM
So I ordered a few small parts from isuzuparts.com earlier in the week. Mostly weatherstripping that just needs to be replaced.

Got a note today that they were back ordered with no eta and it could be 4-6 months for them to arrive.

Guess you just need to have a crystal ball and plan ahead...:(

blacksambo
03/02/2014, 02:45 PM
I think what you ordered is coming from Japan.

Mark B
03/03/2014, 02:25 PM
RIP Isuzu
I still have my VX and Rodeo Sport.

Dare2Dream
09/03/2017, 11:25 AM
Any update on where to order OEM parts these days? Even things like OEM brake pads. i checked isuzuparts.com and brake pads are showing up as $200 which sounds quite high.

Thelgord
09/03/2017, 03:38 PM
I just replaced all of my brake pads. The front was $25 for all four, the rear was around the same price, but I had to buy the clips separate for another $6 or so. Advanced Autoparts and O'Rilleys both carry them. For the most part, especially for mechanical stuff, big box autoparts stores will have 99% of what you need. I did go through isuzupartscenter.com for new weather strip and clips. Yes, the prices are high ($75 for the strip and $40 for the clips after shipping) and it takes around 3-6 weeks for delivery, but they really can get anything. If you ever need a front, inner, wheel bearing, NAPA autoparts is the only source that I have found to be reliable, but it must be pressed in by a shop.

tl;dr Just about anything mechanical can be found online or in large chain parts stores, anything cosmetic you can check for used parts here or on FB, or pay the price from isuzu.

Dare2Dream
09/03/2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply! Which brand did you get and how long have you had it? Have you used the same brand before on the VX?

You're right that most replacement parts can be bought aftermarket from large stores. For brake pads, I did want to stick with the oem brake pads as those are pretty highly rated and recommended:

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/13451-R1-Concepts-Brakes-and-Rotors

They used to cost less than a $100 for OEM fronts so wondering if anyone has found OEMs recently for a decent price. Searching on this forum, I have not seen any aftermarket pads getting good reviews. Would have been nice if there was a replacement with good reviews.

Thelgord
09/03/2017, 07:30 PM
I have the VX for a bit more than a month now, still getting it road worthy. It was in terrible shape when I got it, but for $1800 I am not complaining. The rotors are still in great shape, I have had to unstick two calipers that are now functioning normally, and I replaced all of the brake pads with "semi-metallic". Don't remember the brand name, but on the screen of the computer at the parts counter, they were the first one's listed that were not ceramic. When it comes to brake pads I am not so picky. They are cheap at $25 for each end of the VX and take less than 20 minutes to change. They stop the truck when I press the pedal. What more can you really ask for? I am not going on a track day with them where seconds count. If I am offroad and they start getting soft, I can always pull over and let them cool down if it comes to that. I won't be doing any five star trails, or serious rock crawling with the VX. If you are really concerned about it though, you should look at a "big brake kit" that comes with drilled and slotted rotors and uses ceramic pads.

Dare2Dream
09/04/2017, 01:52 PM
Did you take the wheel off to unstick the caliper? How did you go about it?

Thelgord
09/04/2017, 06:40 PM
Yes, took the wheel off, and the calipers, all of them. I didn't disconnect the brake lines, but I pulled them from their mounts. Checked and re-greased the pistons and guide bolts. On two calipers, the guide bolts had seized and the caliper wasn't moving. I had to hammer out the offending bolts. New bolts, new grease, all is good now. Advanced Autoparts carries the replacements for everything I needed.

Dare2Dream
09/04/2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks, that is nice! I'm pretty sure i have a stuck rear caliper. Would have been nice if there was a 'how to' for brake install. I've done it on a different car but its nice to have a reference to follow.

Thelgord
09/04/2017, 07:18 PM
Do you have access to the shop manual? I can email you the PDF if you want. It's actually a lot easier than you think. Two bolt for the front, 4 for the rear, after the tires is removed of course. The pads literally drop in.

On the brake pads, the inner one, ther is a metal clip that acts as a wear bar. It makes a grinding noise against the rotor to let you know they are old. The one on the rear passenger side was fed through the mounting clip, so that pad wasn't moving at all. So as a tip, don't do that! LOL!

Dare2Dream
09/05/2017, 09:59 PM
yeah, i have a copy somewhere. I will check it out. I need to also find good lift points on the vx for the rear.

blacksambo
10/30/2017, 10:14 PM
The factory recommended rear lift point is the differential