PDA

View Full Version : TOD Problems

Benny
01/03/2014, 02:29 PM
My TOD is acting funny. Only getting rear wheel drive. Driving in snow, the front wheel indicator does not light up. I don't have any TOD check light or check engine light on. When I put it in 4-lo, it moves a little better in the snow, but still spinning the rear tires. All 4 tires are the same size and brand. Change transfer case oil, but no improvement. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Benny
02/03/2014, 01:52 PM
Just an update, problem solved. It was a bad passenger side CV axle. Took a chance and had it replaced. Problem is gone, drove thru the snow without any problems...

tom4bren
02/03/2014, 01:55 PM
GTK.

It doesn't 'splain why no TOD indicator lights ... but I'm glad it runnin right for ya.

Kenyon
02/04/2014, 01:38 PM
I believe there are 2 sensors in front and 1 in back for the TOD. Had the back one cleaned because the VX wouldn't turn left or right without feeling like I was stuck in mud. Once cleaned, no problem. The dealer said they couldn't clean the front sensors because they were too fragile and wanted to charge me $2000 for new ones. Pass....If anyone knows how to clean the front sensor/sensors, please let me know. When the back sensor was cleaned, I got the lights on my TOD panel back but not the front. Normally, one level of the top group on the TOD sensor lights up but I get nothing now. I am having a problem when putting on the brakes now.....kinda like the TOD is engaging, even when I am just slowing down from regular speed. It is annoying....I have replaced brakes front and back but still the same problem so it has to be the TOD system freaking out. Once again, if anyone knows how to clean the sensor/sensors in the front, please let me know. Thanks!!! :-)) ...Kenyon

Front_rangeVX
02/05/2014, 12:15 PM
I had a similar issue about a week ago. We have had a LOT of snow and icey weather in Colorado the last week and that combined with haveing some fun out in the open fields offroad left the undercarriage of the vx completly gunked up and icy. My TOD was going to rear only then flashing randomly to 50/50 the evidently giving up and staying in rwd with the TOD "check" light on.

I just took it to car wash and pressure cleaned underneath. I have not had a problem since.

I think the bowling ball sized clumps of ice gunk plus the sub zero temps the last few days are pushing the hardware to its limits.

I hope this helps.

As far as cleaning the sensors you would have to take them apart and from what I have read its usually the kind of thing that ends up destroying the sensors. You could by a replacement set off a trooper on eaby for a decent price but