PDA

View Full Version : oil consumption

GAMEON
12/13/2013, 05:02 PM
Yes I know this has been beat to death lol. just need a little help in case I've missed something. I seem to be putting in a half to 3/4 of a quart of oil... every time i fill up . What all should I be replacing or cleaning to cut that down the consumption. Thanks!

cheetah2390
12/14/2013, 12:32 PM
PCV valve

tom4bren
12/14/2013, 04:11 PM
I replaced my PCV with an oil catch can (from ebay - about $15). It cut my oil consumption in half.

My next step will be to do a series of quick oil changes with a high detergent oil (probably Rotella).

Scott Larson
12/14/2013, 06:43 PM
Now Tom, I think you may be forgetting some of the "troubles" with your "catch-can theory", not to mention the "troubles" with your "crossover tube theory"...by-the-way, I'm still waiting for your most satisfying and glowing report on it's success...REALLY!! :thumbup: :dance: :_beer:

tom4bren
12/16/2013, 04:56 AM
ROFL

I didn't want to jack his thread too bad ... & open that can of worms again.:)

GAMEON - What Scott was referring to is an idea I had to also run a crossover tube between the valve covers to ensure that I'm getting the maximum ventilation from the PCV system (even though I replaced the PCV with the oil catch can). I'm probably still going to try it even though it was pointed out to me what an INCREDIBYSTUPIDIDIOTICASSININE idea it was. You'll hafta read the 'scared meself' thread to completely understand what's going on.

My suggestion is to try the oil catch can thinggy & maybe the Rotella thinggy until I get a chance to try out the crossover tube. The other thing you can try is to clean out your EGR system. That's helped some with oil consumption in the past ... & can add an extra 0.05% in throttle response (sorry, that's another inside joke:)).

GAMEON
12/18/2013, 01:55 PM
yeah i've replaced the pcv and cleaned the egr. seemed to get worse after doing that though lol. now its been hit or miss. topped it off on saturday and drove all weekend. filled up the fuel tank on tuesday morning and checked the oil... still full :_shrug:. but it did start something new. I was driving maybe 20mph and it started to cough so to speak and then just died. Started right back up though. Did it again about a mile down the road and again this morning on my way to work, but this time i was traveling down a highway off ramp and just died. started right back up though. it was the weirdest thing. the rpms just kinda dropped and bounced back up then... nothing. had to restart it. It was find on lunch though. i've cleaned the throttle body too.

evillecutter
12/20/2013, 07:14 AM
yeah i've replaced the pcv and cleaned the egr. seemed to get worse after doing that though lol. now its been hit or miss. topped it off on saturday and drove all weekend. filled up the fuel tank on tuesday morning and checked the oil... still full :_shrug:. but it did start something new. I was driving maybe 20mph and it started to cough so to speak and then just died. Started right back up though. Did it again about a mile down the road and again this morning on my way to work, but this time i was traveling down a highway off ramp and just died. started right back up though. it was the weirdest thing. the rpms just kinda dropped and bounced back up then... nothing. had to restart it. It was find on lunch though. i've cleaned the throttle body too.

the dancing idle is another well covered problem on this site - the simplest culprits could be the throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, idle control valve, and fuel pressure regulator - i changed all but the mass air flow sensor and mine has been idling perfect for over a year now - good news is they are super easy and fairly inexpensive to change - might be a good place to start - hope this helps